The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL A2 English Literature (Relationships)

Is there anybody out there doing the Relationships topic for English? I'm studying CAptain Corelli's Mandolin, The Great Gatsby and Metaphysical Poetry - but I have absolutely no idea of what essay questions to practice, anyone have any ideas??
Any answers would be appreciated!!
Reply 1
aaa111
Is there anybody out there doing the Relationships topic for English? I'm studying CAptain Corelli's Mandolin, The Great Gatsby and Metaphysical Poetry - but I have absolutely no idea of what essay questions to practice, anyone have any ideas??

I am also doing A level lit, same books. I can give you some examples but do you know how to arrange the how structure, form and language shape meaning question combining metaphy and corelli?
Reply 2
doing gatsby, duffy and some metaphysdical-the donne ones
Reply 3
Currita
I am also doing A level lit, same books. I can give you some examples but do you know how to arrange the how structure, form and language shape meaning question combining metaphy and corelli?

Do you mean the unseen? Or the actual prescribed literature question - I've been focusing on a small part of the text, getting some good technical stuff into there and then branching out, looking at other readings and linking the passage with other small passages in other texts and then sort of giving an overview.... But I don't know what I should be doing really...
Reply 4
also slightly confused... the techniques points are minor copmared to the comparisons points. My trouble is that I am being too general, treating 52 poems like 1 book and ending up with shallow comparisons which are good but too shallow. thanks for reading.
Reply 5
lefneosan
also slightly confused... the techniques points are minor copmared to the comparisons points. My trouble is that I am being too general, treating 52 poems like 1 book and ending up with shallow comparisons which are good but too shallow. thanks for reading.

I agree, and it's also very difficult to get a good balance of context, comparison and in-depth analysis. My essays never seem to be going anywhere..... all I can hope is that really they're not sticking to the stupid guidelines that much and that if the essay is generally good, then you should be fine.... I hope!
Reply 6
Whats the name of the carol ann duffy colection. I'm doing Metaphysical poets but thought I might have a look at that as well.
Also does anyone have or know where I can find any sample questions?

xxxx
Reply 7
sauly6
Whats the name of the carol ann duffy colection. I'm doing Metaphysical poets but thought I might have a look at that as well.
Also does anyone have or know where I can find any sample questions?

xxxx

its called. rapture. there are few sample questions! try the edexcel website
Reply 8
aaa111
I agree, and it's also very difficult to get a good balance of context, comparison and in-depth analysis. My essays never seem to be going anywhere.....

yeah i really dont understand how you are supposed to analyse the poems and how the rhyme scheme/structure etc is relevant if your discussing a much broader theme?!

im doing metaphysicals, duffy and tess of the d'urberviless.. anyone else?

and also... how is anyone preparing for the unseen i have no idea how to revise it.
Reply 9
I have no idea either, my teacher said to get random poems and try to anaylse them. But if they give us a crap poem in the exam then we're pretty much screwed. Any else have any better advice than mine??
Lol, hey debs, I'm fairly sure I know you :smile: Also, how much are we meant to look at how a modern reader would view it differently?
Reply 11
better advice: don't do the poetry unseen!! i always find prose easier and less damaging if you miss the point of the piece...
Reply 12
aaa111

I'm doing these...

You got any good quotes for the Corelli and Pelagia relationship?!
Reply 13
Pedus
I'm doing these...

You got any good quotes for the Corelli and Pelagia relationship?!

I'm doing these too!
So concerned about the exam tomorrow now :/
How are you approaching this?! I know it's a bit late in the day, but I don't know how to approach the revision or how much emphasis to place on each/which relationship or The Great Gatsby/metaphysical poetry!!
xx
Reply 14
helz_91
I'm doing these too!
So concerned about the exam tomorrow now :/
How are you approaching this?! I know it's a bit late in the day, but I don't know how to approach the revision or how much emphasis to place on each/which relationship or The Great Gatsby/metaphysical poetry!!
xx

For Gatsby, I'm going to be focusing on the idea of social class difference leading to the American Dream idea, and how that leads to a corrupt relationship about Daisy being Gatsby ultimate prize, however Daisy is not fully commited to being with someone of a working class backgroud. She see's it as a step down etc....

Metaphysical Poetry.. I've already picked 3 poems that I am going to use and compare to each other and to Corelli...

What about you?
Reply 15
Pedus
For Gatsby, I'm going to be focusing on the idea of social class difference leading to the American Dream idea, and how that leads to a corrupt relationship about Daisy being Gatsby ultimate prize, however Daisy is not fully commited to being with someone of a working class backgroud. She see's it as a step down etc....

Metaphysical Poetry.. I've already picked 3 poems that I am going to use and compare to each other and to Corelli...

What about you?

Ahh okay, my approach was/is going to be the same for The Great Gatsby, as for Metaphysical poetry I'm really torn because the poems are so different, I don't know whether to home in on a couple of give a few sweeping comments from lots of poems... :/
Which three are you focusing on?! I'd definitely do "The Good Morrow," but not sure oh which other two then :/ xxx
Reply 16
helz_91
Ahh okay, my approach was/is going to be the same for The Great Gatsby, as for Metaphysical poetry I'm really torn because the poems are so different, I don't know whether to home in on a couple of give a few sweeping comments from lots of poems... :/
Which three are you focusing on?! I'd definitely do "The Good Morrow," but not sure oh which other two then :/ xxx

I'm doing Definition of Love and To his Coy Mistress by Andrew Marvell and Elegy XX: To his mistress going to Bed by John Donne...

Both similar and different in their own ways init.. so good for comparison.
Reply 17
Wow, this is the only thread I've found about this exam..
How'd you guys find it?
I thought the unseen was a tad random, but opted for the poetry extract.
The essay, I compared The Good Morrow, Batter My Heart, Hour, Rapture and Daisy and Gatsby's relationships and did the first question. Was a really good exam I think :biggrin:
I already gave back my anthology and texts.. So sad :frown:
Reply 18
hiya
can anybody tell me the best poems to compare for duffy and any metophysicals.
thans

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending