The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rachel_Leah
When it says for BillMo 'rooms available throughout the term of let' for 39 weeks, does that mean that you have to take things out at xmas and easter? As it says the same for RiggRut and Bakewell but for 41 weeks? x

I thought those that you have to take things out are 35 weeks? Bill Mo don't have to move out during xmas/easter. But I could be wrong. I had the lovely pleasure of having to move out completely on Friday, but for the money saved I guess it's worth it :p:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Wednesday Bass
When it says that, it means you don't have to clear out your rooms in the holidays like you do with the catered halls.

Original post by Melting Sugar.
I thought those that you have to take things out are 35 weeks? Bill Mo don't have to move out during xmas/easter. But I could be wrong. I had the lovely pleasure of having to move out completely on Friday, but for the money saved I guess it's worth it :p:

Ahh okay thanks, I just didn't know why one had more weeks than the other lol, so thought that may be an issue. I'm happy that's not the case! Man I just want to apply now, so impatient!x
Hi Guys,

Got my unconditional offer in October and now is the time to find a hall, I was thinking of the Robert Bakewell hall or Hazlerigg hall, but I guess its pretty much the same thing, in this thread please state the Hall you are choosing, course you are going to do and optionally your name if you wanna make some friends on Facebook!
Btw, I am Oswald Omotayo, studying Transport and Business Management and I am probably go to Hazlerigg Ruthland Hall!

Just ADD me on Facebook!

See you in October! :biggrin:
Original post by Michel Foucault
The halls on 41 week lets just give you an extra couple of weeks at the end of the year I believe. So if, like most people, you go home for the summer at the end of June, it doesn't actually make any difference.

Oh right, that makes sense now, thanks :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by Michel Foucault
The halls on 41 week lets just give you an extra couple of weeks at the end of the year I believe. So if, like most people, you go home for the summer at the end of June, it doesn't actually make any difference.

Original post by Rachel_Leah
Oh right, that makes sense now, thanks :smile:

Yeah, basically. I know those in Cayley have to move out completely during the holidays because their rooms are used by visitors etc.

This summer there will be visitors coming to stay in Bakewell (I think it's for the Olympics or something? I'm not sure, i wasn't paying a great deal of attention, lol), so we all got the chance to offer our rooms up to them. Because we have a 41 week contract, these visitors would be staying in our rooms during our let. So, to make up for this, we'd get like £16 for every day someone stayed in our room.

Like the complete spaz that I am, I forgot to hand my form in, so I missed out on this, but it might be something to consider for you guys, just in case they do it again next year.

Also, there's now an official facebook page for Robert Bakewell hall Freshers 2011, if you want to check it out: http://www.facebook.com/#!/RobertBakewell Not a lot posted yet, but it's worth keeping an eye on it if you're thinking of applying to Bakewell. I found my Freshers page really helpful both before and after I came to Loughborough.

One last thing: we just got told where we're having our Summer Ball and it is absolutely fantastic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfUmfd-kFQ If anything, next year's committee will have to either match that, or top it, so that might be something to keep in mind :wink:
Reply 65
Original post by Vican
Yeah, basically. I know those in Cayley have to move out completely during the holidays because their rooms are used by visitors etc.

This summer there will be visitors coming to stay in Bakewell (I think it's for the Olympics or something? I'm not sure, i wasn't paying a great deal of attention, lol), so we all got the chance to offer our rooms up to them. Because we have a 41 week contract, these visitors would be staying in our rooms during our let. So, to make up for this, we'd get like £16 for every day someone stayed in our room.

Like the complete spaz that I am, I forgot to hand my form in, so I missed out on this, but it might be something to consider for you guys, just in case they do it again next year.

Also, there's now an official facebook page for Robert Bakewell hall Freshers 2011, if you want to check it out: http://www.facebook.com/#!/RobertBakewell Not a lot posted yet, but it's worth keeping an eye on it if you're thinking of applying to Bakewell. I found my Freshers page really helpful both before and after I came to Loughborough.

One last thing: we just got told where we're having our Summer Ball and it is absolutely fantastic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfUmfd-kFQ If anything, next year's committee will have to either match that, or top it, so that might be something to keep in mind :wink:

I just liked the facebook page! And I am pretty set on choosing Bakewell! I'm sooo excited, lol!
Do you have any pictures?
Reply 66
Original post by Melting Sugar.
For the past two years it's been around either the end of May/beginning of June if I recall correctly..

(according to rumour) They like to allocate a set number of places in each hall to your course (so they're not full of people only doing certain courses and everyone gets a fair chance) and also unconditional students don't get priority, but don't panic if you're applying for accommodation on a different day to your friend - but do make sure you get the right day!

Hello there,

Do we have to register before this day, or do we register on the day? Also do we sort out our accomodation online - the link which is also given in the OP's post? :s-smilie: Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a bit scared atm bec I dont have a clue whats going on regarding accomodation. :redface:
Original post by jbartley3
i really like the look of rigg-rut :smile: any one know anytrhing about it? i wanna have self catered ensuite and really sociable. am i picking a good hall for social life!?

Yeah rigg ruth is sick i will probably gonna take it too, also self catered and en suite, would be sick! :smile:
hey is any of you actually thinking to apply to rigg ruth or bakewell, which 1 you guys reckon would be better?
Reply 69
I think both of them look good! Do you know how you apply for the accommodation and how many choices we get, I belive it is first come first served!
rigg-rut*
Original post by GuinnessRanger
hey is any of you actually thinking to apply to rigg ruth or bakewell, which 1 you guys reckon would be better?

They are pretty much exactly the same in every way.

Original post by Whistle
I think both of them look good! Do you know how you apply for the accommodation and how many choices we get, I belive it is first come first served!

See the first post. :wink:
Original post by apo1324
Hello there,

Do we have to register before this day, or do we register on the day? Also do we sort out our accomodation online - the link which is also given in the OP's post? :s-smilie: Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a bit scared atm bec I dont have a clue whats going on regarding accomodation. :redface:

They should send you an email explaining it all in more detail - once you've had this email you should be able to register. If people are mentioning it on here (when their date is - and they're the same type - unconditional/conditional - of student as you) and you haven't had an email yet then email the accommodation centre (the email address is on lboro's website).

You've got at least another month and a half till you need to start worrying yet :smile:
Original post by Whistle

Loughborough told me that they gonna send you an email at around May, however if you have an unconditional you will get a head start in choosing what hall you get, what hall you are looking at?
Reply 74
Original post by GuinnessRanger
Loughborough told me that they gonna send you an email at around May, however if you have an unconditional you will get a head start in choosing what hall you get, what hall you are looking at?

Don't have an unconditional offer, looking at a few different ones but apparently they are over subscribed!
Reply 75
Don't worry about unconditionals, other courses, etc getting head starts to applying, they will split up all the rooms proportionally, so if 1/3 of applicants are unconditional, and 2/3 are conditional, they will allocate 1/3 of the rooms available to the unconditionals, and 2/3 to the conditionals. Just make sure you apply on the day that you have been allocated and as early in the morning as you can to get the best chance of getting the room you want :p:
Reply 76
I'm thinking of apply for Elvyn Richards! :smile: Anyone know what it's like though?
Reply 77
Doing art foundation at loughborough, arghh decisions decisions, really want the most sociable one if im honest but I guess that's subjective to the actual people in the halls
Reply 78
Original post by Phobia27
Don't worry about unconditionals, other courses, etc getting head starts to applying, they will split up all the rooms proportionally, so if 1/3 of applicants are unconditional, and 2/3 are conditional, they will allocate 1/3 of the rooms available to the unconditionals, and 2/3 to the conditionals. Just make sure you apply on the day that you have been allocated and as early in the morning as you can to get the best chance of getting the room you want :p:

Is it right that when you apply you get one choice of accommodation and then if that one isnt available you get to put down three options that are preferable, say village en-suite etc. Have heard different stories so not sure what happens. I plan to apply as soon as it opens but not sure I will get my choice!!
Original post by Whistle
Is it right that when you apply you get one choice of accommodation and then if that one isnt available you get to put down three options that are preferable, say village en-suite etc. Have heard different stories so not sure what happens. I plan to apply as soon as it opens but not sure I will get my choice!!

They give you a limited list of what you can choose (I got given about 8 different choices, IIRC) straight away and have a room confirmed then and there, if you don't want any of the choices you can put down preferences and they give you an offer about a month (I think, could be longer) later and you can accept or decline that.

Latest