The Student Room Group

Canadian Soc anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone been to Banff or Whistler? I want to ski/snowboard there in late March/early April. Does anyone know any discounts for flights, trains, buses, ski lifts, etc? I'll be travelling from Toronto.
How long you been skiing, mate? I went to Blue Mountain to try it out and by golly, it's harder than it looks. I tried snowboarding for the first day and I still can't turn, for skiing however, I was turning in less than one hour. I just need to keep practicing.

Which mountains you been to?
You study at Waterloo (stalker :smile: ). You better be studying Computer Science. If so, jealous!
Does anyone know what the living costs are like in Banff compared to Toronto? Is it cheaper?
Reply 344
Original post by ShaolinTemple
It's my first winter in Canada here and I'm loving it! Though the snow is starting to melt here in Toronto now =( I've never seen snow so high up. Jumping in all of it is so fun =D Duddeee, Canadian universities are so much better. Even if they aren't as academically good, at least they can provide one very important thing in my opinion which is, multiculturalism. Especially the universities in Toronto since practically everyone you meet here is from a different country you learn to appreciate, tolerate, and understand different cultures and people. That's something in life you can't really get in Britain. The lack of respect for different races is significant compared to Canada. You probably know already.

Dudee, lol, Toronto never has any snow :-p
Yay! I'm glad someone else can appreciate Canada's multiculturalism. It's been a source of contention in my social circles since Cameron's bold 'muliticulturalism has failed' comment.

Also it's more expensive to live out in BC, although many people who go out there never return to Ontario.

Skiing is also a lot easier than 'boarding. Blue Mountain is third in the country in terms of 'the best' (as in most tourists visit every year) behind Whistler-Blackcomb and Mt. Tremblant. In around the Barrie area there are lots of ski resorts: Snow Valley, Horseshoe Valley, Mount St. Louis and of course you've been to Blue Mountain.
The last post was in February? I think I should give this thread a bump :biggrin:

I'm Canadian living in Toronto but I'm going to Leeds next year in January for a semester!
Reply 346
Original post by ohitscandice
The last post was in February? I think I should give this thread a bump :biggrin:

I'm Canadian living in Toronto but I'm going to Leeds next year in January for a semester!

Very cool! :smile: Welcome!

It can be a bit quiet on this post sometimes unfortunately, and it probably isn't helped that we're right in the swing of exams rights now.

What are you going to study at Leeds?
Original post by KirstyK
Very cool! :smile: Welcome!

It can be a bit quiet on this post sometimes unfortunately, and it probably isn't helped that we're right in the swing of exams rights now.

What are you going to study at Leeds?

Oh yes exams! I'm glad I didn't have to deal with those, my summer break started in early April haha

I'll be studying graphic & communication design :smile:
Reply 348
Any other Canadians going to Leicester (LLB) starting October? or any other uni
Reply 349
Original post by Macnoob
Any other Canadians going to Leicester (LLB) starting October? or any other uni
I'm in the midst of my LLB but I'm neither at Leicester or commencing this October. Are you graduating high school or do you already have a uni degree?
Reply 350
Original post by KirstyK
I'm in the midst of my LLB but I'm neither at Leicester or commencing this October. Are you graduating high school or do you already have a uni degree?

I graduated from Brock University
Reply 351
I was wondering for those of that get LLB's from the UK and come back often find it difficult to get jobs/get accredited, so my question is does it make a significant difference if i have a BA from a Canadian university vs. some who went and got their LLB directly from high school?
Reply 352
Original post by Macnoob
I was wondering for those of that get LLB's from the UK and come back often find it difficult to get jobs/get accredited, so my question is does it make a significant difference if i have a BA from a Canadian university vs. some who went and got their LLB directly from high school?

It's easier to be accredited the longer you've practiced abroad. May be worth checking into the Law Society requirements for your province for foreign educated lawyers.
Reply 353
Hello people! I am from Canada, Toronto and going to study in UK (Aston university) starting this fall. In Toronto I graduated from York university (Biomedical science). Excited I found this Society and would love to meet new people and get all possible info about what awaits me in UK!
Anyone here living in Birmingham? How is it? Anyone from Aston?
Yay, a Canadian society! Only 18 pages since 2006, but nevertheless... hooray!

I'm applying for 2012 entry in Psychology. I'll be applying to UCL, Oxford (with Philosophy), RHUL... then maybe Bristol/something else. :biggrin:

A bit random, but, if anyone has any questions about skiing... feel free to ask me! I'm a ski instructor. :smile: I don't know much about skiing out West though.
Hi there Canucks,

There is a decent chance I might go to Queen's University in Kingston for my PhD. Does anyone know what the music scene there is like? It's important to me if I plan to spend 4 or 5 years there.
Original post by Dream Eater
Hi there Canucks,

There is a decent chance I might go to Queen's University in Kingston for my PhD. Does anyone know what the music scene there is like? It's important to me if I plan to spend 4 or 5 years there.

I've heard from people there that apparently they have really good parties. Not sure about the music scene... In general, Kingston (the area around the uni) is very pretty, and the uni is very good as well. Good luck on getting in, I hope you like it!

Here's a general thread in the international uni area for canadian unis: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=718831
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello Canadians!! :smile:

I'm so happy to see a Canadian thread here. I'm from Vancouver, BC! I'll be applying to Masters (MSc Management) to a bunch of UK universities for Fall 2012. Let's hope I get in! *fingers crossed*
Anyone here applying to Msc Management (to any university in UK) ? Since I'm not familiar with British qualifications, I would really like to discuss what other steps I need to take to increase my chances! :smile:
By the way, how does the GPA conversions work? Roughly what cGPA is equivalent to an 'Upper second class'?
Hi! Canadians who did the OSSD who are in uni now/will go this fall: how many of your high school grades did you submit to UCAS? :smile: thanks!
Reply 359
Kingston is a really nice city. The Queen's campus itself is also beautiful. Not too sure about the music scene specifically but the city is very cool and there are a lot of little independent-type places around.

Quick Reply

Latest