The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I'm contemplating whether or not to apply to Glasgow. Do you think they'd let me in even though I only got AABBBBCC for GCSE ?
For my AS I got A - Maths A- Chemistry B- Physics and C - History
And i'm dropping History and taking up Biology AS aswell.
Original post by Braddd
Oh god... I've just realised that it's less than two months till the deadline...

Honestly, after getting my results this year, if I'm going to get in anywhere it's gonna be Glasgow. I have the minimum requirements and everything but I only got ABB in my AHs and basically all the re-applicants are going to have AAA. It's good that Glasgow don't look at your grades once you get the entry requirements.

Just this UKCAT to worry about now (and then obviously personal statement). I'm just hoping that I get the cut-off this year. I was dying last year when I came out the test center and realised I was below the cut-off. I haven't even booked it yet or started studying for it. I think I'm just trying to put it off for long as I can...Bad idea I know....

I have so much to do before the deadline. I hate that I only get the motivation to do anything about it though at this time of night... *sigh*

How do you know all the re-applicants will have AAA? I seriously hope this isn't the case! I've never heard of Scottish unis asking for more than ABB. (Can someone clarify this?). I expect the ukcat cut off to be quite high though :frown:
Reply 82
Original post by Anterior view
How do you know all the re-applicants will have AAA? I seriously hope this isn't the case! I've never heard of Scottish unis asking for more than ABB. (Can someone clarify this?). I expect the ukcat cut off to be quite high though :frown:

I'm just being pessimistic. They probably won't all have AAA but the stronger candidates will. Scottish unis don't have AHs as requirement apart from Glasgow (BCC I think) but will take them into consideration. The ukcat cut-off was 652.5 I think last year. I reckon it'll be 660+ this year.
Original post by sarahellie
i got 665 in my ukcat - 50 more than the cut-off last year. Do you think it would be worth applying?

The cut-off last year was 652.5 not 615. The cut-off the year before last was 640 so a hike of 12.5. Assuming similar, you are looking at 665 minimum so it might be a risky choice for you but it depends on what the scores are of the top 800 of the applicant pool and whether you can afford the risk of missing the cut-off. No-one can tell if it will go up or down but generally most UKCAT cut-offs rise rather than reduce.

Good luck!
Original post by Anterior view

Yes they will because what's the point in applying with grades less than minnimum (it's a guaranteed rejection)

I don't think glasgow accept resiters.

A*AA/AAA/AAB has been the standard medicine offer for a while, with the first of those being a recent addition.

Most if not all re-applicants will have met the grades, otherwise they'd apply to resit accepting uni's or a different course.
It's like applying with a UKCAT less than cut off. You simply won't get the time of day.

It's important to apply tactically, to universities where you have a high chance of getting an interview.
Reply 85
Original post by joemullally
Yes they will because what's the point in applying with grades less than minnimum (it's a guaranteed rejection)

I don't think glasgow accept resiters.

A*AA/AAA/AAB has been the standard medicine offer for a while, with the first of those being a recent addition.

Most if not all re-applicants will have met the grades, otherwise they'd apply to resit accepting uni's or a different course.
It's like applying with a UKCAT less than cut off. You simply won't get the time of day.

It's important to apply tactically, to universities where you have a high chance of getting an interview.

I think you misunderstood. We were talking about advanced highers. For Scottish students the only requirement is AAAAB at higher level.
Original post by Braddd
I think you misunderstood. We were talking about advanced highers. For Scottish students the only requirement is AAAAB at higher level.

okies sorry for the mix up.
Reply 87
Original post by sweetchilli
The cut-off last year was 652.5 not 615. The cut-off the year before last was 640 so a hike of 12.5. Assuming similar, you are looking at 665 minimum so it might be a risky choice for you but it depends on what the scores are of the top 800 of the applicant pool and whether you can afford the risk of missing the cut-off. No-one can tell if it will go up or down but generally most UKCAT cut-offs rise rather than reduce.

Good luck!

thankyou :smile: and good luck for your course!
Original post by ashamoh
I'm contemplating whether or not to apply to Glasgow. Do you think they'd let me in even though I only got AABBBBCC for GCSE ?
For my AS I got A - Maths A- Chemistry B- Physics and C - History
And i'm dropping History and taking up Biology AS aswell.

I was in your situation last year. If you can get AAA for your predicted grades and if you have good work experience as well as a good UKCAT score, you should definitely apply. However, you may need to make sure that you at least meet the minimum GCSE requirements.

I couldn't apply last year because my predicted grades were low and my teachers said they could only predict what I have got at AS, but I worked hard, got more work experience and ended with AAA when I was predicted ABC. So I'm applying in my gap year. My GCSEs were similar to yours.
Good Luck!
Reply 89
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
I was in your situation last year. If you can get AAA for your predicted grades and if you have good work experience as well as a good UKCAT score, you should definitely apply. However, you may need to make sure that you at least meet the minimum GCSE requirements.

Ah thank you!!! The minimum being a B in English? Hmm well I've found a work experience placement at the hospital but I don't think I can get that before October T__T and other than that I've done some voluntary work at a pharmacy and I've been looking after my ill grandmother for a long time now... and I also went to a medical stimulation centre xD we got the intubate and use CPR on robots/dolls I guess
I think I can get A*AB or A*AA predicted *hopefully :smile:
Reply 90
What sort of UKCAT score will be good for an interview at Glasgow? Roughly 670? I understand they rank by UKCAT? please let me know if this is not correct
Original post by pan_93
What sort of UKCAT score will be good for an interview at Glasgow? Roughly 670? I understand they rank by UKCAT? please let me know if this is not correct

Yeah they take everyone who meets the academic requirements and then rank them based on their UKCAT and interview the top 800. Last year the cut-off was 652.5 and I think the year before it was 640 so a score of 665/670 would be a reasonable bet for this year! Though you never know - it could go back down!
So is everyone getting excited? My PS is just about finished, UKCAT is on the 9th and reference will be received shortly! Just over two weeks until submission starts!
Original post by ChangedMyMind
So is everyone getting excited? My PS is just about finished, UKCAT is on the 9th and reference will be received shortly! Just over two weeks until submission starts!

Do you know the exact date?
Mine's all ready to go!
Do you know the exact date?
Mine's all ready to go!

Well you can submit on UCAS from the 15th of September until the 15th of October. What you get in your UKCAT?
Well you can submit on UCAS from the 15th of September until the 15th of October. What you get in your UKCAT?

677.5, risky i know but i should be just above cut off. Hopefully.

Yourself?
677.5, risky i know but i should be just above cut off. Hopefully.

Yourself?

Great score! Mine is on Monday! Just hoping for a high-enough score to get the Glasgow interview!
Great score! Mine is on Monday! Just hoping for a high-enough score to get the Glasgow interview!

Good luck to you man :smile:
Is 655 a reasonable score to apply to Glasgow with?
Reply 99
Out of interest my daughter is starting Glasgow soon, she got 670 ukcat. Glasgow were the only uni to give her a conditional offer of 2A's (advance higher) and a C for her crash spanish higher. Dundee, Edinburgh, Aberdeen only asked that she completed 6th year!

Quick Reply