The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leanna_21
thank you !! VERY MUCH , needed something to get ma mind ready for September !

You're welcome! :smile: I'm going to be ****ting it for my first lab, it's been ages since I've done a lab. It'll be a disaster. :o:
Hi I'm really stuck on how to write my PS. Could anyone give me any things to include , general layout and any other resources which they think would be relevant?

I have already looked on the examples on TSR.
Reply 282
Hey, I'm considering applying for biomedicine, mainly because I still really can't decide what I want to study. I've carried out a lot of research and know what the course entails, however, after reading a number of threads I can't help but question the value of the degree if I weren't to carry on with research. It simply doesn't seem to provide the financial support I would ideally like to secure myself in the future. I suppose I could continue with medicine or veterinary if it were to be of interest to me. Nevertheless, I am curious to know whether I am better off applying for biochemistry or biomedicine. Firstly, which is generally more competitive to get into? Which is more beneficial if I were to move into the city and go into banking or decide to do medical law? Am I better off just applying for medicine?

I got 4 High A's at AS and 6A* and 3 A`s at IGCSE, so I'm pretty confident about applying for whatever wherever. However, it is essential that I make my mind up and start writing a bloody good personal statement.
Original post by dilligaf16
Hi I'm really stuck on how to write my PS. Could anyone give me any things to include , general layout and any other resources which they think would be relevant?

I have already looked on the examples on TSR.

My PS was structured like this (by paragraph):

1st: Why I like biology in general and then focus on biomedical science. Explain the importance of biomedical science in modern pathology etc.

2nd: Focus on a particular area of biomed that picks your fancy (biomed is generally broken into histology, clinical biochemistry, medical microbiology, haematology, clinical immunology, cytology, transfusion science and sometimes medical virology is given its own area) and explain why you like it and how this has intrigued your passion for studying biomed. I talked about how medical microbiology was fascinating, and how I wanted to learn more about infection biology as well as many other areas.

3rd: Depict how you're prepared for uni - have you done lots of lab training in school? Have you had to work independently and manage your time? Have you read any books/lectures/attended work placements? Can you time manage? All that stuff. Try and talk about lab skills too as biomed is a very hands on degree.

4th: Talk about your ECs and state the skills they've given you that will help in your course.

5th: Include anything else you feel is relevant.

6th: Conclusion. End it on a good note.
Original post by badumdumtscht
My PS was structured like this (by paragraph):

1st: Why I like biology in general and then focus on biomedical science. Explain the importance of biomedical science in modern pathology etc.

2nd: Focus on a particular area of biomed that picks your fancy (biomed is generally broken into histology, clinical biochemistry, medical microbiology, haematology, clinical immunology, cytology, transfusion science and sometimes medical virology is given its own area) and explain why you like it and how this has intrigued your passion for studying biomed. I talked about how medical microbiology was fascinating, and how I wanted to learn more about infection biology as well as many other areas.

3rd: Depict how you're prepared for uni - have you done lots of lab training in school? Have you had to work independently and manage your time? Have you read any books/lectures/attended work placements? Can you time manage? All that stuff. Try and talk about lab skills too as biomed is a very hands on degree.

4th: Talk about your ECs and state the skills they've given you that will help in your course.

5th: Include anything else you feel is relevant.

6th: Conclusion. End it on a good note.

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.
For Work experience is there anything which would look good such as maybe visiting the pathology lab at my local hospital or helping with lab prep at school?
Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.
For Work experience is there anything which would look good such as maybe visiting the pathology lab at my local hospital or helping with lab prep at school?

Tbh most people applying for biomed find it hard to get a placement (even undergrads doing biomed placements are short). Lap prep at your school would be better imho - saves time, money and effort.
Original post by badumdumtscht
Tbh most people applying for biomed find it hard to get a placement (even undergrads doing biomed placements are short). Lap prep at your school would be better imho - saves time, money and effort.

OK thanks, sorry for all the questions but do most people have some kind of work experience?
OK thanks, sorry for all the questions but do most people have some kind of work experience?

It's fine. :smile: And, tbh, no. The only ones that have work experience are the med applicants (mostly). Although if you can do some work experience then I'd do it cos it would help, but I doubt it makes much of a difference if you don't have any.
Reply 288
Hey guys.

I'm currently studying Biology and intend to apply to an accredited MSc in Biomedical Science. Now it says on IBMS that to work in the NHS, I must be registered with the HPC and that in order to register with the HPC, I must undertake an IBMS accredited course right? So will an MSc in Biomedical Science be the correct way to become a registered HPC registered biomedical scientist?

The list of accredited MSc courses can be found at the bottom of this: http://www.ibms.org/go/education-development:ibms-courses

Will doing one of these MSc's allow me to register with the HPC as they are already accredited?

Please reply.
I dont see why people are making a fuss about labs, they are not that difficult really...
Original post by tom_tom_tom
I dont see why people are making a fuss about labs, they are not that difficult really...

Who is? :s-smilie:
Reply 291
Hey guys :hi:, I'm about to go into third year of biomedical science and I wanted to ask you guys a question. What did you do during the summer? Personally, I've been doing some reading and been trying to find a last minute work placement (which didn't go well :frown: ). Any of you guys been doing any preparations or have you just been relaxing?
Original post by jjazza
Hey guys :hi:, I'm about to go into third year of biomedical science and I wanted to ask you guys a question. What did you do during the summer? Personally, I've been doing some reading and been trying to find a last minute work placement (which didn't go well :frown: ). Any of you guys been doing any preparations or have you just been relaxing?

Relaxing, I did spend my summer working in an analytical biochemistry lab, gave me a good insight into the corporate sector....since im going into the NHS.
Just got home from my first day on placement and I'm so tired!!!!! Haematology is my first rotation, spent the day learning how all the masses of g.p. samples are logged in on the system. Hopefully it'll get a bit more biomedical tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!
I've just applied for biomed at Sheffield, UEA, Southampton, Kent and Portsmouth :smile:

Very excited!
Original post by Jack7Richards
Just got home from my first day on placement and I'm so tired!!!!! Haematology is my first rotation, spent the day learning how all the masses of g.p. samples are logged in on the system. Hopefully it'll get a bit more biomedical tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

how long are your summer placements for?
Reply 296

Thats great that you started your placement, I couldn't find a placement :frown: so I have to carry on with my studies. Keep us posted on your placement. :smile:
Original post by Cravez
how long are your summer placements for?

It's not a summer placement, it lasts for a whole year. It's the year that has to be carried out in order to gain the certificate of competence from ibms.
Original post by jjazza
Thats great that you started your placement, I couldn't find a placement :frown: so I have to carry on with my studies. Keep us posted on your placement. :smile:

Thanks! That's a shame you diddnt get one, but now you get to finish uni a year earlier :smile: good luck in your final year!
It's not a summer placement, it lasts for a whole year. It's the year that has to be carried out in order to gain the certificate of competence from ibms.

oh ok cool. do I have to do this even if my degree is accredited by IBMS?

Latest

Trending

Trending