The Student Room Group

Politics / IR fifth choice... HELP !

I am currently on a gap year with A*AA at A level... I am applying for:

War Studies - KCL
International Relations - LSE
Politics - Bristol
Politics and International Relations - Bath

KCL is basically my ideal so if I get in there I will be chuffed, I am looking for unis with a great social life and big student community which is why I didn't apply to places like Durham and St. Andrews (too small and remote) and I probably wouldn't end up going to LSE even if I got in because I hear a lot about the night life being average (not saying I 100% believe this but it does seem pretty convincing)

ANYWAY anyone got any suggestions for a fifth choice? I love the idea of places like Sheffield but I just think with my results I would kick myself if I missed out on applying to somewhere with a better academic reputation, ya know? I just can't think of anywhere that would fit the bill for me...

Nottingham
PPS @ Cambridge / PPE @ Oxford / Warwick / Wherever else does it ?

Warwick, Nottingham, Durham, St Andrews, Birmingham, Sheffield, Exeter, York. With your grades you should have a fair shot at any of those.
Reply 3
Nah live too close to Nottingham

Original post by Obfuscator
PPS @ Cambridge / PPE @ Oxford / Warwick / Wherever else does it ?

Warwick, Nottingham, Durham, St Andrews, Birmingham, Sheffield, Exeter, York. With your grades you should have a fair shot at any of those.

And too close to Birmingham, not interested in Warwick because its sorta in the middle of nowhere and I really don't like coventry haha. (Would rather be right in the middle of a city)

St. Andrews, Durham, Oxbridge, Exeter as I said too small and cosy.

Sheffield is a good idea though (although I have a good friend there and not keen on going to the same uni as any of my friends haha)

Also York looks alright... could have a better reputation though

Thanks anyway :colondollar: Got a sneaking suspicion that I'm just being a bit picky / unnecessary as if I get into KCL I will just go there otherwise I will probably get in to one of the other ones I have applied to and will go there instead.

What is Edinburgh's reputation like for politics? It does seem a bit too far away from London though... which is quite important for me
Original post by phiddy23
Nah live too close to Nottingham

And too close to Birmingham, not interested in Warwick because its sorta in the middle of nowhere and I really don't like coventry haha. (Would rather be right in the middle of a city)

St. Andrews, Durham, Oxbridge, Exeter as I said too small and cosy.

Sheffield is a good idea though (although I have a good friend there and not keen on going to the same uni as any of my friends haha)

Also York looks alright... could have a better reputation though

Thanks anyway :colondollar: Got a sneaking suspicion that I'm just being a bit picky / unnecessary as if I get into KCL I will just go there otherwise I will probably get in to one of the other ones I have applied to and will go there instead.

What is Edinburgh's reputation like for politics? It does seem a bit too far away from London though... which is quite important for me

True, next time I'll actually read instead of super-skim reading hahaha.

In terms of going somewhere where you already know people, it probably isn't an issue, because it's in a city and there is a very large student population, so you'll probably only see them if you go out of your way to do so, or if you're in the same lectures.

York has a pretty good reputation, but the city isn't very vibrant. When I visited the uni there, it seemed kinda dull in the same way Exeter did, though less pretty.

You could look at other colleges in London, Queen Mary does quite well in the league tables, as does UCL (though their politics course is very sciencey, I think. Or maybe languagesy, I can't remember. Something put me off it, though).

You could try Edinburgh, I haven't visited the uni there but it's a big city. And it has a good reputation for politics (Gordon Brown went there... whether that's a good or a bad thing is up to you to decide).

If you're looking for unis with the city you could look at Leeds and Manchester, though their politics courses aren't rated as highly as the likes of Sheffield, but I hear the student life is pretty gooooood.
Reply 5
Original post by Obfuscator
True, next time I'll actually read instead of super-skim reading hahaha.

In terms of going somewhere where you already know people, it probably isn't an issue, because it's in a city and there is a very large student population, so you'll probably only see them if you go out of your way to do so, or if you're in the same lectures.

York has a pretty good reputation, but the city isn't very vibrant. When I visited the uni there, it seemed kinda dull in the same way Exeter did, though less pretty.

You could look at other colleges in London, Queen Mary does quite well in the league tables, as does UCL (though their politics course is very sciencey, I think. Or maybe languagesy, I can't remember. Something put me off it, though).

You could try Edinburgh, I haven't visited the uni there but it's a big city. And it has a good reputation for politics (Gordon Brown went there... whether that's a good or a bad thing is up to you to decide).

If you're looking for unis with the city you could look at Leeds and Manchester, though their politics courses aren't rated as highly as the likes of Sheffield, but I hear the student life is pretty gooooood.

I know mannn loads of my friends have gone to towns like Leeds and they're loving it ! So jealous

Yeah I thought the same of UCL... I think you can only do politics and eastern european studies, which does look good but there are other modules I would want to do that aren't included.

I think Edinburgh sounds like a good bet. Although it is apparently very hard to get into for English applicants. But it does seem to balance having a good reputation and being a nice city.

Original post by phiddy23
I know mannn loads of my friends have gone to towns like Leeds and they're loving it ! So jealous

Yeah I thought the same of UCL... I think you can only do politics and eastern european studies, which does look good but there are other modules I would want to do that aren't included.

I think Edinburgh sounds like a good bet. Although it is apparently very hard to get into for English applicants. But it does seem to balance having a good reputation and being a nice city.

Yehh, it's kind of weird. They do 4 year degrees. English students have the option to start in year 2, but the entry requirements are usually sooo high (Yours will probably be high enough, I can't remember what they want for politics). Also there's the issue that if you join in the second year, people will already have made their friends etc, so it will be harder to kind of... integrate yourself. haaha. But yeh, I mean legally they can't discriminate because you're from England, but they may value Scottish Highers above A levels. Look into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending