The Student Room Group

The interview discussion & help thread

Scroll to see replies

I've got an interview for Primary PGCE at Manchester University on 13th December. Good Luck everyone :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by flamingoshoes
I'm doing management and HR at the moment - not really the usual one that people do if they want to go into primary teaching I don't think! Hope I'm not at too much of a disadvantage :s-smilie:

What are you studying? :smile:

I am doing an Education studies degree, I'm sure you will be fine, just be confident! Are you nervous? I am! :s-smilie:
Original post by lowe28
I am doing an Education studies degree, I'm sure you will be fine, just be confident! Are you nervous? I am! :s-smilie:

I'm so nervous!! Have you had to read up on behaviour management? I'm a bit worried about the maths/english/science tests too, cos I haven't done them for years!!
ive got aninterview at surrey in 2 weeks. should i wear a suit or just dress smart
So I finally heard from Aber!

I have to do a 20 minute written task of 250-300 words. The topic will be related to the education field and will be given on the day. I'm so worried, surely that could be on anything!?

I also have to do a presentation, with no ICT but I have to use a normal whiteboard and I can't write on it before hand :s-smilie: my topic is "What is your approach towards motivating pupils to learn?"

I'm a bit worried about it tbh.

So nervous now!!! x
Im struggling with that too, ive asked in the interview thread at the top but it seems noone can actually help lol. Im not even sure what area they mean in, do they mean kids behaviour or educational issues regarding the governments intervention. You can interpret that question both ways. Lol im kinda struggling with that :frown: Ive got an interview at nottingham trent and i have a week to prepare :frown:
Reply 86
I'd say current issues in the news, e.g. strikes etc. Have a look at the governments page... think its education.info
Original post by tigergrowl
I'd say current issues in the news, e.g. strikes etc. Have a look at the governments page... think its education.info

Original post by pineapple86

Original post by pineapple86
Im struggling with that too, ive asked in the interview thread at the top but it seems noone can actually help lol. Im not even sure what area they mean in, do they mean kids behaviour or educational issues regarding the governments intervention. You can interpret that question both ways. Lol im kinda struggling with that :frown: Ive got an interview at nottingham trent and i have a week to prepare :frown:

Hey, best of luck for ur interview... So, what topics are u going to read on for educational issues???
I have one for next Tuesday, the 13th I think :smile:

Eek me too, so nervous!!
Original post by Sarang_assa
Eek me too, so nervous!!

how are you getting on preparing for it? i'm terrified!
Original post by rose.151786
Hey, best of luck for ur interview... So, what topics are u going to read on for educational issues???

Thank you, you too. I rang the uni cos i had to confirm i was attending the interview and i asked her about this. She said anything in the media about to do with education is fine, not the curriculum, but other things in education that has caught your eye. I asked about the strikes and she said no. So at least thats narrowed it down a bit lol. Im just going to read newspapers and online news to see if i can find anything. I even bought te TES supplement from the shop to have a look in there so i need to have a think.
how are you getting on preparing for it? i'm terrified!

Well today I've been getting an idea of what questions they might ask, tomorrow I'm going to focus on reading up on behaviour management and then I need to revise my maths and science as I haven't even looked at them yet! How about you? I'm a bit dubious because although I've got 5 weeks experience in uk schools its all in Year 1 so I'm screwed if they want me to talk about KS2!!
Reply 93
ive just recieved an email inviting me to a pgce early years interview at newman university in birmingham. has anyone else heard from newman?

on the interview day ive got to give an oral presentation, a single interview and then read an extract from a book and design follow on activities. Thing is PGCE primary and EY will be together, so my activities will be specifically for early years - do you think this will matter if we are all mixed together?
Original post by sallyallbright
I have an interview on the 15th December at the Institute of Education for secondary English and Drama...I am doing a drama workshop, does anyone know what that is? Will I be doing drama tasks myself or should I prepare a drama lesson?
Have no idea what to prepare for!!!

I have an interview on the 6th January for Secondary English, did your interview letter say 'you will be invited to discuss material relevant to English teaching which will be provided on the day'? Really confused about what this means :/

To me, drama workshop sounds like you would be taking part in drama tasks... sorry i couldn't be much help :s
I have to pick a current educational issue in the media for my PGCE Primary presentation i need to create. At the moment all i can find is this.. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/satisfactory-schools-are-often-not-report-says-6272347.html and http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6145814 cos they are the same thing. In a nutshell they are clamping down on teachers coasting along etc so the schools can improve their image. OR theres a small article in TES about Ofsted appearing at schools within 10min notice. Im wondering if that is suitable to do a 5min presentation on as an educational issue for Primary?! I need help, what do you think? Any advice would be grateful cos everyone im asking for help cant seem to help, i need some help. Please!!
Original post by Sarang_assa
Well today I've been getting an idea of what questions they might ask, tomorrow I'm going to focus on reading up on behaviour management and then I need to revise my maths and science as I haven't even looked at them yet! How about you? I'm a bit dubious because although I've got 5 weeks experience in uk schools its all in Year 1 so I'm screwed if they want me to talk about KS2!!

Yeah, I've just done some reading on behaviour management so I think thats going to be ok (I hope!) and I've started some revision which seems to be going alright. I need to have a look at some general questions and think about the 1 min presentation, but hopefully that shouldnt be too difficult. I'm just gonna try and put a few things on presentation cards so I can keep track of what I'm saying. Have you read your book yet? I don't really know how theyre going to ask us questions on them when we've all read different ones.

Yeah, I only have experience in Year 5 so I don't know how I'm going to talk about KS1, but I want to focus on KS2 when I go into teaching so hopefully theyll take that into consideration :s-smilie:
Reply 97
Yeah, I've just done some reading on behaviour management so I think thats going to be ok (I hope!) and I've started some revision which seems to be going alright. I need to have a look at some general questions and think about the 1 min presentation, but hopefully that shouldnt be too difficult. I'm just gonna try and put a few things on presentation cards so I can keep track of what I'm saying. Have you read your book yet? I don't really know how theyre going to ask us questions on them when we've all read different ones.

Yeah, I only have experience in Year 5 so I don't know how I'm going to talk about KS1, but I want to focus on KS2 when I go into teaching so hopefully theyll take that into consideration :s-smilie:

I had an interview for primary pgce on monday (and failed :frown: ) but anyway

As for experience in just one Key Stage, they'll ask you why choose the key stage u chose and not the other, and as for the book, It's probably cuz they want you to review the book as part of an english test. I had to do that in my interview but the book was given on the day to read.
Reply 98
Original post by tigergrowl
I had an interview for primary pgce on monday (and failed :frown: ) but anyway

As for experience in just one Key Stage, they'll ask you why choose the key stage u chose and not the other, and as for the book, It's probably cuz they want you to review the book as part of an english test. I had to do that in my interview but the book was given on the day to read.

Ah sorry to hear that, please dont let it put you off trying again! Did you have your interview at Derby?
Reply 99
Original post by lowe28
Ah sorry to hear that, please dont let it put you off trying again! Did you have your interview at Derby?

Thank you! Just want something to do after my degree!!!!

No it was at Leicester.

Quick Reply

Latest