The Student Room Group

Getting up for 9am lectures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
In my halls, we can request personal wake-up calls by asking reception downstairs.
Reply 41
I always manage to get up for my 9am lectures. I just have one alarm and i usually wake up just before it as well. I still go to bed late so i never get enough sleep so i'm half asleep in the lecture anyway.
Just set your alarm at the other side of your room, makes you get up really, that's what I did
Original post by robo donkey
Just set your alarm at the other side of your room, makes you get up really, that's what I did

Whenever I do that I just never hear my alarm :tongue: Luckily I only have one 9am a week!
Reply 44
Yep. I always get enough sleep but it's still awful! I always feel like I'm the only one up and about at that time and hate feeling like everyone else is in bed while I have to get up and out.
I agree, but then I remember that most people in his country have to work from 9 to 6.

I also used to be at school from 8am to 5am, so...im used to it.

doesnt make it any easier of course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Maybe keep some lucozade beside you so when your alarm goes off, drink loads of it :biggrin:
My sleeping habits have been ridiculous for about 3 years now but I've managed to get up for work or lectures almost every time. I overslept once and was late for work (only time I've ever been late for work in any job) and I was 1 hour late to a 9am 2-hour lab practical last term and that's it.

But today I ridiculously managed to oversleep for a 10am seminar, I woke up at 10:20 because I turned my alarm off in my sleep. And then I thought, well I'm not going back to sleep now because I'm not rewarding myself for missing a seminar. But like an idiot I fell asleep again at 1pm and woke up at 3:30pm when I had a lecture at 3:00.

I've tried going to sleep before 12 but I always get back into old habits after a few days, I just have horrific self control/discipline. It doesn't help when halls people have loud parties/come home shouting at 4 or 5am when I'm trying to get into a pattern of sleeping at reasonable times. I actually wish I had something to get up for every single day because for normal school and most of sixth form I was hardly ever late and only skived lessons on purpose, never accidentally.

Just got to start being seriously strict with myself about when I go to sleep, I guess.
Original post by robo donkey

It would have to be really loud for it to wake me up and I'm not sure my halls neighbours would appreciate that.
Reply 49
My professor told us he lives by a piece of advice from his father.

'Get out of bed, tie your shoes, and get out the door.'
Reply 50
If 9am lectures are such a struggle, then why bother going? You probably won't learn anything anyway if you force yourself to be there.

Why not go in later, go to the library and catch up with the material from books and the internet.

Although I have the amazing ability to pry myself out of bed before midday, I rarely bothered with lectures and it didn't harm my degree.

Original post by buchanan700
I'm on placement, which means I have to get up by 6:15 to leave at 7:15. Everyday. I finish at about 430/5. Everyday. With about a half an hour break. Everyday.

Beat that suckahs...

At the moment, I am in from around 8am until 8 or 9pm most weekdays and about 11am until 8pm on weekends.
(edited 12 years ago)
I have lectures from 9am every weekday, they often seem to get missed. Without actual consequences for missing class it's a lot harder to work up the energy to go in, plus sleeping hours at uni (especially if you live in halls) are crazy.
Reply 52
Original post by Fat-Love
9am lectures 6 days in a row monday-saturday. **** yeah.....:frown:

Lectures on a Saturday? :lolwut: Is that even legal?
Reply 53
Good look waking up at 6:30/5:30 when you start full time work then.
Reply 54
Original post by miserlou
Lectures on a Saturday? :lolwut: Is that even legal?

I don't think we're talking about preschool here...
Last year I had 6 9am's a week :sad: it was horrible :afraid:
Reply 56
Original post by FXX
I don't think we're talking about preschool here...

Well obviously not as you don't have lecturers in preschool. So great shot at sarcasm .. but no.

Lectures on a Saturday are pretty inconsiderate. Some of us have a life and want to go out on Friday which is hard if you have uni at 9am the next day. We also have jobs, and friends and family to visit on the weekend too.
Reply 57
Original post by miserlou
Well obviously not as you don't have lecturers in preschool. So great shot at sarcasm .. but no.

Lectures on a Saturday are pretty inconsiderate. Some of us have a life and want to go out on Friday which is hard if you have uni at 9am the next day. We also have jobs, and friends and family to visit on the weekend too.

It wasn't sarcasm, I just can't believe you would think lectures for adults would be illegal on a certain day :confused:
Original post by Dorito
I struggle to get up for them regardless of how much sleep I get or what time I go to bed! Early mornings are so hard.

Once I'm up I am fine and don't feel tired, it's just the initial act of getting out of bed especially when it is cold.

Totally! Especially when you have wooden floors, my whole room is freeeezing in the morning.

I have an 8am start on wed, dreading it!
Original post by Madhvi5
Maybe keep some lucozade beside you so when your alarm goes off, drink loads of it :biggrin:

i heard about an alarm clock that wakes you up AND has like a tea making facility in it so you have a cup of tea when you wake up. i would literally look forward to early mornings if i had that in my life.

Quick Reply

Latest