The Student Room Group

Pros and Cons of living in Manchester?

I'm considering firming Manchester Uni and want to know what it's like to live there, what the good things are and what the downsides are in terms of nightlife, cost, variety, etc.. thanks :biggrin:
Pros:
Masses of nightlife. I always thought Bristol was good. Then I came to Manc.
Curry mile - cheap ethnic supermarkets galore
Great bus service between town, uni and Fallowfield, 24/7

Cons:
Fallowfield is the best student area to live in, but it is a 20 minute bus ride / 15 minute cycle away (door-to-door). Don't let the journey put you off Fallowfield though!
Original post by Origami Bullets
15 minute cycle away (door-to-door). Don't let the journey put you off Fallowfield though!

Damn, your slow :tongue: Only messing of course :smile:

I agree with Origami Bullets, its a tedious bus ride from fallowfield to the uni.
Especially at peak times for lectures. Its taken me well over 40 minutes on the bus in the past, which is just ridiculous considering its not really that far. The congestion around the curry mile in insane!

Another thing I've found pretty hard is the lack of countryside within walking distance. Granted, Im used to living in North wales - Slap bang in the middle of the countryside. I never thought I'd miss it but I really, really have. That will depend on where your from what your used to though.

But to be honest, thats all I can complain about in terms of Manchester!
Original post by lonelykatana

Quite possibly :colondollar:

In all fairness, I know people who make it in from Withington in 11 minutes - it's just that I don't like to break a sweat (nothing to do with me being desperately unfit, not at all), so there may have been occasions when I've been overtaken by someone with grey hair :colondollar:
Reply 4
Is this a trick question? You want pros of living in Manchester? Have you seen Shameless???

#Juskidding
Reply 5
Original post by Origami Bullets
x

x

Thank you!! Is it quite expensive to live in Manchester? Are people friendly in the city, or is it anonymous like London?
And do they really dislike southerners? :tongue: I live in south Wales but originally from London so I have quite a southern accent haha
Original post by flume
Thank you!! Is it quite expensive to live in Manchester? Are people friendly in the city, or is it anonymous like London?
And do they really dislike southerners? :tongue: I live in south Wales but originally from London so I have quite a southern accent haha

I don't find it particularly expensive to live here - £50pw + rent & bills does me for all the standard stuff (food, clothes, a night out etc.), but if there's something extra (e.g. bike needs fixing, or something expensive and society-related, trip home etc. etc.) then it will be more. Probably the only thing that is more expensive here than at home (Bristol) is going out - everywhere charges a fiver entry here - you'll sometimes even find regular pubs charging entry - no matter the night of the week, whereas they only charge entry on Fri / Sat nights in Bristol, and certainly never for a pub! I tend to budget £10 for a night out - £5 for drinks, £5 entry, plus some prinks.

There is a massive 'student bubble' effect here - you don't see non-students in Fallowfield (it's basically a student ghetto) - even in the supermarkets and bars, all the staff are students. In fact, it would be entirely possible for you to go an entire year without ever talking to a Mancunian, with the exception of your cleaner in halls. Thus, I can't really say that I've had many problems with the locals - honestly, I've had more banter from my (northern) mum about being southern than I've had from the locals here.
Reply 7

I agree with Origami Bullets, its a tedious bus ride from fallowfield to the uni.
Especially at peak times for lectures. Its taken me well over 40 minutes on the bus in the past, which is just ridiculous considering its not really that far. The congestion around the curry mile in insane!

Another thing I've found pretty hard is the lack of countryside within walking distance. Granted, Im used to living in North wales - Slap bang in the middle of the countryside. I never thought I'd miss it but I really, really have. That will depend on where your from what your used to though.

But to be honest, thats all I can complain about in terms of Manchester!

If you're looking for countryside, go to Picadilly gardens and find the 184 bus, it goes to a place in the hills called Uppermill and is really lovely and hilly and grassy :]] lol

Original post by flume

We don't dislike southeners lol, you might just get people asking you to repeat things cos they find your accent funny :/
Reply 8
Original post by flume

No-one will care. As you'll be mostly interacting with students, you'll find many are southerners...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending