The Student Room Group

Human trafficking awareness single!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by chefdave
As a native Brit I must say I've never knowingly seen or encountered a 'sex slave'. In fact I've never even known anyone that's either known/heard of/used a 'sex slave', either I'm mixing with the wrong people or this sounds like another lefty awareness raising scheme over a non-issue with a money-grabbing fake charity to boot.

If the sex slave industry is a big problem I'd argue that it's more of a by-product of multi-culturalism if anything, and the answer therefore is to close down the borders. Problem solved.

Ever heard of a prostitute?
Reply 41
Original post by 07lista

Yes. What be your point?
The only thing that's "bizarre" is your inability to accept that the trafficking of third world migrants is a direct result of our porous borders policy. The clue's in the name: trafficking, if there's any crime that's due to a country being unable to police it's own borders effectively surely it's trafficking.

A simple question: would the trafficking of sex slaves be possible if we were a lot more selective over who we allowed into this country?

Illegal immigrants will always be able to find a way into a country, they do in America and they do in every country.

And for a start, many of those trafficked will be from eastern european countries and therefore will have a perfect right to be in the country legally.

Perhaps the problem could be partially solved by tightening up border controls but unfortunately the likelihood that we will leave the EU or refuse to let anyone will not happen and should not happen.

So since we can't stop it your way, we will have to stop it another way, and Charities are part of this.

I find it very hard to understand why you are so hostile the idea of charities and voluntary organisations doing their bit to solve a problem.
Original post by 07lista

Tried making this point, didn't register.
Reply 44
Original post by Historophilia
Tried making this point, didn't register.

Prostitution and sex trafficking simply aren't the same thing (unless you're an ultra-feminist), prostitution can often involve no coercion whereas sex slavery by definition infringes basic human rights. I don't accept your 'point' which is perhaps why it doesn't register.
Prostitution and sex trafficking simply aren't the same thing (unless you're an ultra-feminist), prostitution can often involve no coercion whereas sex slavery by definition infringes basic human rights. I don't accept your 'point' which is perhaps why it doesn't register.

No-one is saying that.

The point that is being made is that trafficking is such a problem in the sex industry that a large percentage of the time where you find prostitutes you will find sex slaves as well. But that if you do not frequent brothels or use prostitutes, you are very unlikely to come into contact with sex slaves, but if you do use prostitutes, there is a strong chance that she was trafficked, or that a girl in the same brothel was.
Reply 46
Original post by Historophilia
Illegal immigrants will always be able to find a way into a country, they do in America and they do in every country.

And for a start, many of those trafficked will be from eastern european countries and therefore will have a perfect right to be in the country legally.

Perhaps the problem could be partially solved by tightening up border controls but unfortunately the likelihood that we will leave the EU or refuse to let anyone will not happen and should not happen.

So since we can't stop it your way, we will have to stop it another way, and Charities are part of this.

I find it very hard to understand why you are so hostile the idea of charities and voluntary organisations doing their bit to solve a problem.

The American example isn't a good comparison, America shares a virtually unpoliceable 2,000 mile land border with Mexico so illegal immigration is inevitable, especially when the economic and social disparities between the two countries are substantial. The UK however is unified country totally surrounded by sea, this makes it a doddle to control the borders if we wanted to. Do you think that an Eastern European gang leader is any match for the Royal Navy; one of the most experienced and accomplished forces in the world? Of course not. We easily have the capability to reduce sex trafficking to near zero but that would require a withdrawal from the EU and a stop to the nonsense that is multi-culturalism. Without tackling the root cause no amount of charity is going to be enough to solve this problem once and for all.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest