The Student Room Group

Help with uni dilemma!!!!!!

I am currently a gap year student reapplying to uni whilst retaking some exams privately. So i got back my exam results a couple of weeks ago and my grades are thus ABB in maths, further maths and economics respectively. In regard to my ucas app, i currently have 3 unconditional offers while the other 2 are conditional- Southampton and Loughborough. Southampton,who have given me a offer of AAA and is the place that i most want to go to while loughborough have given me a offer of AAB and is a uni that i very much like. The dilemma is that i dont know what university to pick as my firm because being a gap year student, i really need to get into uni this year and the southampton offer is one that i think could be incredibly difficult for me. I applied for southampton last year and got rejected and so i dont want the same thing to happen this year. The other option is that i can choose Loughborough as my firm as it is easier to get in and i did like the uni when i visited it. My insurance will be a unconditional uni regardless of the firm because this year i want to play it safe.
I would like some advice about which option i should pick,
1) Firm- Southampton Insurance- Royal Holloway
or
2) Firm - Loughborough Insurance- Royal Holloway
Thanks in advance for your help and advice and sorry for making the post long :smile:
Well since you have 3 unconditionals you could firm Southampton and even if you missed the offer you woud still get into uni this year. If it was me, I would firm the uni that I really wanted and then have an unconditional as my insurance.

Looking at what you have written it seems that in order of preference you have:
1) Soton
2) Loughborough
3) RHUL

Which subject are you applying for? Because RHUL would be fine if you missed the Soton offer. So personally I would just go with your option 1 (Firm Soton, Insurance RHUL).
Reply 2
helpppp please

i av an equity n trust exam in a few days time but i dont understand the essay titles:

"critically evaluate whether the trust enforced in Re denley's trust deed (1969) was a purpose trust or a trust in favor of a group of beneficiaries?"

secondly

"explain the reasons why Lewison LJ in hanchett-stamford v attorney general(2009) held that a sole surviving member of an unincorporated association was entitled to the assets of the association on dissolution"
Reply 3
I would firm Southampton, you might regret it if you don't at least try!
Reply 4
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Well since you have 3 unconditionals you could firm Southampton and even if you missed the offer you woud still get into uni this year. If it was me, I would firm the uni that I really wanted and then have an unconditional as my insurance.

Looking at what you have written it seems that in order of preference you have:
1) Soton
2) Loughborough
3) RHUL

Which subject are you applying for? Because RHUL would be fine if you missed the Soton offer. So personally I would just go with your option 1 (Firm Soton, Insurance RHUL).

I'm doing Bsc Economics. The first option was always my main option but recently i been thinking that if i do go for that option and dont get in2 southampton, i mite regret not taking up the loughborough option. I guess i have to choose between a safe option and a riskier option :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Shelly_x
I would firm Southampton, you might regret it if you don't at least try!

Yeah that is true, but i applied there last year and got rejected and part of me wants to go for a safer option this year.
Reply 6
Original post by ashk9999
Yeah that is true, but i applied there last year and got rejected and part of me wants to go for a safer option this year.

Did you apply and not get the offer or get an offer but not meet it?
Original post by asgharsgirl
helpppp please

i av an equity n trust exam in a few days time but i dont understand the essay titles:

"critically evaluate whether the trust enforced in Re denley's trust deed (1969) was a purpose trust or a trust in favor of a group of beneficiaries?"

secondly

"explain the reasons why Lewison LJ in hanchett-stamford v attorney general(2009) held that a sole surviving member of an unincorporated association was entitled to the assets of the association on dissolution"

Wow, talk about hijacking a thread
Reply 8
Original post by Shelly_x
Did you apply and not get the offer or get an offer but not meet it?

Got an offer but didnt meet it
Reply 9
Original post by ashk9999
Got an offer but didnt meet it

Hmm. You just have to ask yourself if you'd regret not giving it another shot, or whether you'd be just as happy at your other uni.

Quick Reply

Latest