The Student Room Group

AQA History 3A - The Angevin Kings

Hello,
I've been trying to find past papers for this paper but as of yet I can only get 2; the specimen paper and the June 2010 paper. Can anyone help me or provide me with links to more past papers? Remember it's specifically the 3A exam.
Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey I'm doing the same exam, i can't find that many exams either, i struggle on technique more than anything!
Reply 2
I've found out why; there have only been 2 exams anyway, it's pretty new :P So my old method of revision is messed up; ohhhh dear
Reply 3
My teacher gave me a long list of all the past paper questions. I'm doing AQA A2 too, but I'm doing Russia and the USSR 1941-1991, From Triumph to Collapse.
Reply 4
Original post by navarre
My teacher gave me a long list of all the past paper questions. I'm doing AQA A2 too, but I'm doing Russia and the USSR 1941-1991, From Triumph to Collapse.

That's all very good; but completely and utterly irrelevant.. :tongue:
I'm doing the Angevin paper (3A) - can't seem to find more than 2 past papers either :frown: On another note, I was looking at the grade boundaries for this paper, and it seems that roughly 66/90 is an A*. Surely that's too good to be true?
Reply 6
Original post by KnowstheLaw
I'm doing the Angevin paper (3A) - can't seem to find more than 2 past papers either :frown: On another note, I was looking at the grade boundaries for this paper, and it seems that roughly 66/90 is an A*. Surely that's too good to be true?

Erm I thought it was around 70 so probably; it's moderately low because you need to get top marks in your coursework to stand a chance of getting A* overall :P
Original post by JnKnPt
Erm I thought it was around 70 so probably; it's moderately low because you need to get top marks in your coursework to stand a chance of getting A* overall :P

On the June 2011 Grade boundaries it was 66/90 for an A*. To be honest, the exam is worth more than the coursework is! So theoretically, you could get scrape an A in the coursework, and still get an A* overall, if you do very well in the exam!
Reply 8
On the June 2011 Grade boundaries it was 66/90 for an A*. To be honest, the exam is worth more than the coursework is! So theoretically, you could get scrape an A in the coursework, and still get an A* overall, if you do very well in the exam!

I'm doing this exam too, I didn't know the grade boundaries were that low though :smile: Any idea what questions will come up? I'm revising John and the Church, Becket and Henry, collapse of the Angevin Empire and restoration of Royal authority as they're all the topics that haven't yet come up, could be wrong though... any opinions?
Original post by zog
I'm doing this exam too, I didn't know the grade boundaries were that low though :smile: Any idea what questions will come up? I'm revising John and the Church, Becket and Henry, collapse of the Angevin Empire and restoration of Royal authority as they're all the topics that haven't yet come up, could be wrong though... any opinions?

Becket and Henry has come twice already! John and the Church hasn't though. It's very hard to predict these things - but i reckon or at least i hope a question on the restoration of royal authority under Henry II comes up - perhaps with a question centered around his legal reforms. Differently, I would hope there's another question on the Magna carta or perhaps the loss of Normandy. It's so hard to say as there is so much on the specification that they could question you on!
Reply 10
I do this exam too, I'm hoping for the Great Rebellion, really good topic, but anything on John allows for debate which gets you the high marks :smile:
Reply 11
Becket and Henry has come twice already! John and the Church hasn't though. It's very hard to predict these things - but i reckon or at least i hope a question on the restoration of royal authority under Henry II comes up - perhaps with a question centered around his legal reforms. Differently, I would hope there's another question on the Magna carta or perhaps the loss of Normandy. It's so hard to say as there is so much on the specification that they could question you on!

Oh yeah, sorry I didn't really explain myself there. I'm revising Henry and Becket because you can write a paragraph on it for restoration of royal authority, and because a church breadth question might come up (1154-1216).
They can't ask you specifically about legal reforms, it's not on the specification :frown: The head of history at my sixth form college is one of the head examiners and based on what we've studied I know for sure Eleanor and Richard I won't come up, and that Magna Carta probably won't.
Original post by zog
Oh yeah, sorry I didn't really explain myself there. I'm revising Henry and Becket because you can write a paragraph on it for restoration of royal authority, and because a church breadth question might come up (1154-1216).
They can't ask you specifically about legal reforms, it's not on the specification :frown: The head of history at my sixth form college is one of the head examiners and based on what we've studied I know for sure Eleanor and Richard I won't come up, and that Magna Carta probably won't.

That is very interesting indeed. Has your head of history hinted that these topics won't come up? If you are right, it looks like Henry II will have to come up! Also if you say the magna carta is unlikely to come up, then John and the loss of Normandy might come up then?
Reply 13
Original post by zog

Eleanor won't come up? Hm I thought she was quite likely as the Jews was the breadth question last year and she seems the likely alternative? Does this mean the Jews could come up again? (I hope so)
Reply 14
That is very interesting indeed. Has your head of history hinted that these topics won't come up? If you are right, it looks like Henry II will have to come up! Also if you say the magna carta is unlikely to come up, then John and the loss of Normandy might come up then?

Not so much hinted as specifically told us not to bother with Eleanor and Richard I. And we only spent the briefest time on Magna Carta, generally looking at Innocent III's response (John and the church) and it as a result of John's poor leadership (collapse of the empire).
Also it might interest you that they HAVE to put a church question on: so most likely that either John and Church (my bet) or breadth Church question 1154-1216 will come up, given that Becket and Henry have twice already.
Reply 15
Original post by zog
Not so much hinted as specifically told us not to bother with Eleanor and Richard I. And we only spent the briefest time on Magna Carta, generally looking at Innocent III's response (John and the church) and it as a result of John's poor leadership (collapse of the empire).
Also it might interest you that they HAVE to put a church question on: so most likely that either John and Church (my bet) or breadth Church question 1154-1216 will come up, given that Becket and Henry have twice already.

They Have to? Is this definate? If so, I agree I had a feeling John and Innocent would be coming up!

Hm, what do you think could be the other two questions then? John and the loss of Normandy? The Jews?
Original post by zog

Wow, how fortunate of you to receive such valuable information. I did wonder about the church question - sounds like John and the church could appear this time round - I guess it could be about Langton, Papacy and John?

I really hope there is NOTHING on the Jews.
Reply 17
My teacher used to be the head of exams for this unit as well; 2 years ago before this latest guy - I can tell you don't rely on this information; no examiner is allowed to disclose information - in fact your examiner cannot know the content on this exam because they are set 3 years in advance which means; my teacher set our paper - thus despite what you think they don't try so hard to remember the questions they set.
Reply 18
Original post by JnKnPt
My teacher used to be the head of exams for this unit as well; 2 years ago before this latest guy - I can tell you don't rely on this information; no examiner is allowed to disclose information - in fact your examiner cannot know the content on this exam because they are set 3 years in advance which means; my teacher set our paper - thus despite what you think they don't try so hard to remember the questions they set.

I don't know, thanks for the warning but I don't think my teacher would purposely mislead us. He was pretty explicit about it. And if you look at the trends of the papers it makes sense for those topics I pointed out to come up.

I guess to a certain extent I'm speculating, but I think I'm willing to take my chances. If there is an unexpected topic on the paper, at least you only after to answer two of the questions! :smile:
Reply 19
What kind of question could they ask you on restoration of royal authority?
Also, if it was a question of this, would you include the legal reforms or just changes he made to the chancellor and exchequer etc?

Quick Reply

Latest