The Student Room Group

What things do you want to see made legal/illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by travoot
Seeing as it is then undisputed that barbecue fumes, second hand or otherwise are far, far worse than cigarette smoke, do you then agree that barbecues should be banned? I don't think they should be, I'm just playing with the same logic as the poster who suggested cigarettes should be banned.

BBQ fumes are not intended to be inhaled. Lol.
Original post by travoot
Seeing as it is then undisputed that barbecue fumes, second hand or otherwise are far, far worse than cigarette smoke, do you then agree that barbecues should be banned? I don't think they should be, I'm just playing with the same logic as the poster who suggested cigarettes should be banned.

You are not playing with any logic. The person you quoted said that alcohol should not be banned because the benefits outweigh the negatives. You inferred from this that he thought alcohol should not be banned because he likes it (how you reached this conclusion I do not know). I am simply pointing out to you that what you are saying is ridiculous and if you are trying to make a serious argument then you have already fallen victim to the proverb in my signature.
Original post by Chloe xxx

Illegal:

Islam

Why?
Original post by No Future
lulwhut? Look at my first post, I am clearly not anti drug.

I am only anti smoking because the risks outweigh the benefits. For some other drugs I support their legalization because the benefits outweigh the harms.

It's all about risks v benefits

I wasn't directly addressing you.

It's got nothing to do with risks vs benefits. It's about liberty. Who the hell is anyone to say that I can't fill my body with crap up if I want to? I can legally drink myself to death, eat fast food everyday, overdose on painkillers etc. so why can't I take other drugs?

If you think the benefits don't outweigh the benefits then it's quite simple, don't take them! I like smoking, I like drinking but I don't do either of them because I know they're bad for me. I can make those decisions for myself because I'm not a moron and if someone doesn't care about their health then they should have the right to smoke and drink as they please! It's absurd that you can call someone a criminal for something that only directly harms them.

Oh, and in response to the athlete thing. For 'pure' athletes who stay clean, alcohol is a no go. The majority of proper athletes don't abuse certain substances, certainly not alcohol and are far healthier than basically all of us. Alcohol straight up is bad for you, just like a burger from KFC is. Does that mean they should be made illegal? Of course not, that'd be ridiculous.
Reply 125
BBQ fumes are not intended to be inhaled. Lol.

We're talking about second hand fumes, 'lol'...:wink:
Reply 126
Why?

Because I dont like it, same reason as other people have for what they want to ban, like the right to dress as you like.
Reply 127
Original post by Bobifier
You are not playing with any logic. The person you quoted said that alcohol should not be banned because the benefits outweigh the negatives. You inferred from this that he thought alcohol should not be banned because he likes it (how you reached this conclusion I do not know). I am simply pointing out to you that what you are saying is ridiculous and if you are trying to make a serious argument then you have already fallen victim to the proverb in my signature.

Clearly you can't read and I suggest you re-read this thread.

Also, on a side note.. Any proverb you offer isn't something I'm interested in reading, after all you have to have life experience in order to gain any wisdom and someone who sits on his arse playing trading cards has little in the way of life experience that goes beyond back to back masturbation..
Reply 128
Oooooooh someones pissed.

Shows your brain capacity, to be honest.

Ok then, if you want to dictate to what people wear, lets ban all religious garments eh?

As they look god damn ridiculous much worse so than any fat person wearing leggings.

You'll get rep from when I've got it spare. :smile:
Original post by sexbo
Legalize cannabis, Criminalize tobacco? They are both just as bad for your lungs. People have gotten confused and think that some scientists are advocating the legalization of cannabis because it's not bad for you or even good for you. No. The rationale of David Nutt and co is cannabis is no worse for you than cigarrettes or alcohol so it may as well be legal.

Actually cannabis isn't nearly as bad for your lungs as tobacco:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/10/marijuana-and-lungs-study_n_1197854.html
You should allow people to dress as they like, how ignorant of you.

Not really surprising your a bloke.

he wanted to keep them for himself
Legalise: LSD and shrooms please. And coke.
So basically, you want Islamic extremists to be able to do/say what they like but the evil whitey people/non muslims/those who disprove of Islam who you deem as 'racist', shouldnt be able to?

Terrorists are a danger to us and should be dealt with accordingly.

Shocking you want a law introducing that would put the GBP in danger.

Not much of a surprise, to be honest.

Lol, wait what? Where have you actually go that from? Seriously?

I think we should allow the voice of Islamism just as much as we should allow the voice of Islamaphobia and I'll tell you why.

Because when you suppress free speech, you get violence. When debates aren't held in the public domain, people only hear one side of the argument, and become far more extreme. Telling someone that they're not allowed to hold a belief in public is not going to stop them having that belief. What it's going to do is limit the channels through which they can express that belief, and this will undoubtedly lead to violence. It is far better to give airing to their arguments then provide a comprehensive counterargument, to actually engage in debate, than simply silence them.

If you read my post you'd see that I said as long as their actions don't involve violence, so no, they wouldn't be able to do 'whatever they want', by that I assume you were tying to infer terrorism and the likes. Just as an interesting point, most terrorism isn't actually from Islamists, anyway .

Besides, the anti-terror laws to which I was referring would have little or no impact on terrorist threat. The law that meant you had to register with the police to protest in London, for example, would not stop a terrorist. Imprisonment without charge - the ultimate breach of one of our founding civil liberties habeas corpus - can lower our criminal justice system to the level of autocratic states who throw people away indefinitely with no proof of offence.

And no, actually, I don't really want any laws introduced with regard to this. I want laws repealed.

And I'm not quite sure what you mean by no surprise, I'll assume it was just rudeness.
I'd probably make smoking illegal where other people - especially children are eating. I work in a pub, and when I have to deliver food in the garden people seem to have no problem with blowing their cigarette smoke in mine and other peoples faces. I've got nothing against smoking whatsoever but I don't think I should have to inhale cigarette smoke just to deliver them their food..
Original post by meenu89
Squatting made illegal please.

but it's a great exercise for the legs :frown:
Reply 135
Original post by DontJudge
Nah I ain't 'pissed' only you are, because you get yourself hammered every night, because that's the only way you can get guys, when you'remost vulnerable.

Why do you expect people not to critique you when you wear,lets say 'skimpy' clothing?

Again, how do you know what I wear? Why do you aim it at ME, instead of 'people who wear skimpy clothing'?

I actually never wear skimpy clothing but hey think what you like.

Braindead, your mental capacity is too be mocked by all.

I've got a boyfriend, your first line is absoloute drivel, what crack are you smoking?

As I said, you are so docile and illiterate you cannot debate properly and have to throw childish insults and delving into my personal life.

Get your own, then maybe you wouldnt be so interested or wound up by others.
Original post by travoot
Completely unrelated to your post but I must say, you're gorgeous.

Unrelated indeed. Thanks, I guess.
I would make wisdom teeth illegal.

(Nothing to do with the fact my wisdom teeth are being a pain, ahem)
Because I dont like it, same reason as other people have for what they want to ban, like the right to dress as you like.

What does Islam have to do with your right to dress as you like :confused:

This has cropped up again but probably smoking in cars, especially around children, I've got nothing against smokers but seeing smokes and cigarettes around kids just makes me uneasy.
Reply 139
Original post by cosmobear92
What does Islam have to do with your right to dress as you like :confused:

This has cropped up again but probably smoking in cars, especially around children, I've got nothing against smokers but seeing smokes and cigarettes around kids just makes me uneasy.

The poster suggested banning certain clothing for overweight people.

I said why should they do this, inwhich case also ban religious clothing as that looks shockingly bad to many people.

Quick Reply

Latest