The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen Housing

Hi there,
As an international student, I've got a few questions about housing at Aberdeen. I've looked online at some reviews and have read mixed things about Hillshead especially. As a first year postgrad, where would be the best self catered hall to try to get in to? Also, what is the process for choosing housing? Do you apply for a certain number of options and are placed there within, or is it totally at random? I am most interested in King's Halls and Hillshead, but would love to hear about the other self catered options as well. If any of you have reviews about postgraduate self catered housing, or feel like sharing pictures of the housing accommodation, that would be fantastic.

Thanks!
Reply 1
As a postgrad who has experience of living in halls myself I can tell you that you want to get into postgrad halls if you can - the whole atmosphere is just that much better. Having said that, I lived up at Hillhead at the New Carnegie Court Halls and had no problems whatsoever, I was in a mature students block and the undergrads who were in there were all 3rd or 4th year students over on an exchange program.

You should be able to find out information about the application process and general population of the halls when you get the letter confirming you're eligible to apply but if I remember correctly the self-catering halls on campus are mainly postgrad and you give them a selection of the halls you want to stay in, appropriately ranked, and they allocate from that. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to end up with a bunch of undergrad freshers...
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Original post by livefires
As a postgrad who has experience of living in halls myself I can tell you that you want to get into postgrad halls if you can - the whole atmosphere is just that much better. Having said that, I lived up at Hillhead at the New Carnegie Court Halls and had no problems whatsoever, I was in a mature students block and the undergrads who were in there were all 3rd or 4th year students over on an exchange program.

You should be able to find out information about the application process and general population of the halls when you get the letter confirming you're eligible to apply but if I remember correctly the self-catering halls on campus are mainly postgrad and you give them a selection of the halls you want to stay in, appropriately ranked, and they allocate from that. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to end up with a bunch of undergrad freshers...

I'm trying to get into Kings Hall or Elphinestone Road Flats for 4th year- is this a good move? How quiet is it? What are the rooms like etc...? Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by JAZZA007
I'm trying to get into Kings Hall or Elphinestone Road Flats for 4th year- is this a good move? How quiet is it? What are the rooms like etc...? Thanks :smile:

I don't know anything about Kings Hall although one of the guys in my lab might have lived there his 4th year, I'll check on Monday for you. Elphinstone Road is fairly quiet and the rooms are reasonable but nothing special - typical student halls, basic but have a bed and a desk. The kitchen was reasonably equipped from what I saw and heard (from both visiting and speaking with a friend). In both places you'll probably be put in a flat with up to 4 others and obviously you might not get along well with them but I think that's the norm for halls really. I'll chat up my friends for more info on both sets of halls for you though!
Reply 4
Original post by livefires
I don't know anything about Kings Hall although one of the guys in my lab might have lived there his 4th year, I'll check on Monday for you. Elphinstone Road is fairly quiet and the rooms are reasonable but nothing special - typical student halls, basic but have a bed and a desk. The kitchen was reasonably equipped from what I saw and heard (from both visiting and speaking with a friend). In both places you'll probably be put in a flat with up to 4 others and obviously you might not get along well with them but I think that's the norm for halls really. I'll chat up my friends for more info on both sets of halls for you though!

Hi :smile:

Managed to get any more information on Kings Hall and Elphinestone Road Flats

Many Thanks

Bump :smile: please
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks for posting, Livefires! I did a postgraduate virtual open day and they said King's hall is great. I am going to try for King's hall first when I apply for postgrad housing.
Reply 6
Original post by Rochelley22
Thanks for posting, Livefires! I did a postgraduate virtual open day and they said King's hall is great. I am going to try for King's hall first when I apply for postgrad housing.

What did they say about Kings Hall- I really hope I get in! :smile:
Reply 7
King's hall is mainly for postgraduate students. Its in the old part of campus. Some rooms are ensuite. It sounded the nicest and the cleanest.

When did you apply? What did you apply for?
Reply 8
King's hall is mainly for postgraduate students. Its in the old part of campus. Some rooms are ensuite. It sounded the nicest and the cleanest.

When did you apply? What did you apply for?

Applied September I'm doing Geography with History :smile:
Reply 9
Very cool! I will be a post grad in the Renaissance and Early Modern Studies program!
Reply 10
Very cool! I will be a post grad in the Renaissance and Early Modern Studies program!

Oh hey that's awesome- I love the Renaissance and Early Modern Studies- It's only my favourite historical period :smile:
Reply 11
That's awesome! Yes, I'm excited to join the department!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending