The Student Room Group

Will a pull up bar cause any wall damage?

Pull ups are pretty much the only thing I'm unable to do at home so was thinking about buying one of those bars that hook over the door. like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Door-Gym-Exercise-BAR-PULL-UPS-CHIN-UPS-SIT-UP-PUSH-UP-/390076555313?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item5ad25fe031#ht_3942wt_1163

Will one of these damage the door or wall in the slightest? Because if there's even a small change it will my mum would not be happy as it's a newly decorated room. Is there much pressure against the wall/frame where it hooks over? Thanks.
Original post by burgergetsbored
Pull ups are pretty much the only thing I'm unable to do at home so was thinking about buying one of those bars that hook over the door. like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Door-Gym-Exercise-BAR-PULL-UPS-CHIN-UPS-SIT-UP-PUSH-UP-/390076555313?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item5ad25fe031#ht_3942wt_1163

Will one of these damage the door or wall in the slightest? Because if there's even a small change it will my mum would not be happy as it's a newly decorated room. Is there much pressure against the wall/frame where it hooks over? Thanks.

Looks fine as the weight is taken by the top ledge of the doorframe so if it scratches the paint there it's not in a place anybody will see (unless they are very tall). If it is a very silly design of doorframe with some sort of thin lip which sticks out at the top then I imagine it could cause damage but you'll have to use your own judgement and make sure the bit of wood it's resting on feels quite solid. The bits which press against the sides of the doorframe to stop it falling out are probably squidgy, if they aren't, you probably want to wrap them in something so they don't scratch the paintwork.

I imagine your biggest threat to the paintwork will be if you use it back to front causing it to fall off!

Tell your mum you will repaint the doorframe if it causes any damage.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I've had that model for about a year now and as far as I can see, there's no (or very little) damage to my door frame. But fish is right - if you have a flimsy frame, it might cause a little cosmetic damage over time.
cheers, might just buy one then and hope all is good!
Reply 4
I use this pull up bar frequently, it is very sturdy. There has been no damage to my door frame either, but the frame is solid. I would recommend it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest