The Student Room Group

Planning Man v Food tour in USA for next summer - help would be awesome!

Basically, my boyfriend and I have become completely hooked on the show Man v Food recently (if you haven't seen it, it's on Dave or most food / travel networks and it is awesome), and we've had this idea that we'd like to visit some of the places Adam visited and try some of the challenges, after I officially finally graduate next summer :biggrin:

We settled on an East coast tour because although we wanted to go to places like Texas and Colarado, we didn't want to over complicate it. Has anyone ever done an American cross country before? We're a bit bemused as to where to start planning - especially where flights are concerned!

Any tips? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

That guy has so many health problems, I suggest you AVOID THIS!
Also his health insurance is amazing. Trust me when I say yours wont even come close.

Do not do what he does.

Edit for all the people doubting me; my friends cousin helped film the show and he knows all of this. I am just sharing this with you.
If you want to do what he does go ahead.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by coffeepirate
Basically, my boyfriend and I have become completely hooked on the show Man v Food recently (if you haven't seen it, it's on Dave or most food / travel networks and it is awesome), and we've had this idea that we'd like to visit some of the places Adam visited and try some of the challenges, after I officially finally graduate next summer :biggrin:

We settled on an East coast tour because although we wanted to go to places like Texas and Colarado, we didn't want to over complicate it. Has anyone ever done an American cross country before? We're a bit bemused as to where to start planning - especially where flights are concerned!

repped.

good luck

Original post by blueray
Also his health insurance is amazing. Trust me when I say yours wont even come close.

Do not do what he does.

Oh yeah?

Nice!!!!! My dad's work mate is going with his wife to all the places Adam (the host) went to! I bet you must be looking forward to it!

Original post by blueray

Do not do what he does.

Kid, wtf are you on about?
Reply 4
Here is a link with all the places he visited....

http://www.tvfoodmaps.com/show/Man-v-Food

This is so weird, me and my sister are planning the same thing during my gap year!
Film some... it'd be awesome :colone: :colone:

I can't think of any specific restaurants in America right now so why not just follow a few of the restaurants that he does :smile:

Good luck

Original post by Peggles_*

This is so weird, me and my sister are planning the same thing during my gap year!

Meet up with coffeepirate and have an eating competition :woo: :woo:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by blueray

It is a pretty well known fact that whilst on the road he exercises twice a day and whenever he is not filming he enjoys a healthy diet and regular exercise, which is pretty obvious because if he didn;t he'd be about 50 stone by now.
OMG... did you see the dessert special???? PLEASE go to all those places they look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you haven't seen that eppy go watch it online... delish..
Reply 8
Original post by Dorito
It is a pretty well known fact that whilst on the road he exercises twice a day and whenever he is not filming he enjoys a healthy diet and regular exercise, which is pretty obvious because if he didn;t he'd be about 50 stone by now.

And on days of and before challenges, he doesn't eat anything
I have no practical advice, but: you're awesome. My boyfriend and I love the show as well.

All the burger and mexican food challenges look particularly delicious :coma:
Reply 10
Sounds awesome! Love that show so much, that massive nacho volcano-type thing he ate is my dream:drool:
Reply 11
Spirit seems to be pretty good for domestic US flights.

Also, Man v. Food. :love:
Tried this last year but only made it to 9 places :sigh: Every single one was incredible though.

The problem we found is that a lot of places aren't in city centres so unless you have a car it's quite difficult. But with the sheer amount of places to choose from you should be able to tickle your tastebuds to a ridiculous degree :yum:

JetBlue for internal flights, great prices and all you can eat snacks are perfect for your trip :teehee:
Original post by blueray

Do not do what he does.

Edit for all the people doubting me; my friends cousin helped film the show and he knows all of this. I am just sharing this with you.
If you want to do what he does go ahead.

They're planning on doing it for a holiday, not everyday?:confused:
Original post by mrshinyshoes
They're planning on doing it for a holiday, not everyday?:confused:

How much poison do you need to die?
I will only take it once on holiday... surely that must mean I wont die?

So many uneducated people on this forum, it's unbelievable.
Best show ever!!!
Man v Food! Man v Food!
Reply 16
Original post by blueray

How long is a piece of string?

Don't know, don't care.

An occasional food challenge IS NOT going to kill you. Stop being a noob.
Reply 17
Original post by blueray

You're really stupid :smile:
Reply 18

That sounds awesome!

As for planning the trip itself, considering you're sticking to the east coast i'd say to look for flights to NY as they're usually cheapest.
Then most places along the east coast are reasonably close to each other (within a few hours) so you could travel by train or bus, for trains try Amtrak, or if you're travelling around the area between New York/New Jersey/Philadelphia, then the NJ transit website would be better for that as Amtrak sticks mostly to major cities, where as NJ transit is more for local area trains.
As for bus, try Megabus, which I think only runs on the east coast, although I might be wrong. Or Greyhound. I think you can buy passes with these companies that will allow you unlimited travel for a certain period of time.

Good luck with it!

Also, Megabus between New York, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, Washington, etc are ridiculously cheap. Got tickets for $8 on most of these trips and the buses are very comfortable and when we went almost completely empty.

Quick Reply

Latest