The Student Room Group

Why does this molecule not exist

The bond angle in a normal pentagon is 108 degrees.
Apparently this structure would cause too much strain and would thus break open.
Why?
The ideal angle for C=C=C is 180 degrees, 108 degrees is a long way from that. You can bend bonds (an example would be cyclopropane) but bend them too much and they just break.
Reply 2
I think you can just about make 6-membered cyclic allenes (they're obviously incredibly reactive), but I don't think 5 is manageable.
Reply 3
Original post by cpchem
I think you can just about make 6-membered cyclic allenes (they're obviously incredibly reactive), but I don't think 5 is manageable.

Would make sense. If you can get benzyne then it would be logical that sp (ish) hybridisation is just about possible in a 6 membered ring.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by EierVonSatan
The ideal angle for C=C=C is 180 degrees, 108 degrees is a long way from that. You can bend bonds (an example would be cyclopropane) but bend them too much and they just break.

And, of course - woo, triangles!

/excitedcyclopropanechemist
Original post by cpchem
And, of course - woo, triangles!

/excitedcyclopropanechemist

Ha, my masters sypervisor loves heterocylic strained rings. I was just looking up cyclic allenes/cumulenes since you mentioned it and yeah, 6 membered is the smallest I've found so far :teeth: It wouldn't surpise me if some physical chemist hasn't made something 'silly strained' for a few femtoseconds :mmm:
Reply 6
Original post by EierVonSatan
Ha, my masters sypervisor loves heterocylic strained rings. I was just looking up cyclic allenes/cumulenes since you mentioned it and yeah, 6 membered is the smallest I've found so far :teeth: It wouldn't surpise me if some physical chemist hasn't made something 'silly strained' for a few femtoseconds :mmm:

thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest