The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by agoetcherian
You can only enter on results day. If you really don't want to go to Durham and you only have one offer you could have gone through extra, but that ship may have passed by now if you've firmed it.

You're probably not gonna get a better uni than Durham in adjustment. Durham is one of the best unis in the UK.

So if you don't get a place through adjustment can you still go to your firm? (Also, UCAS doesn't list adjustment places like clearing does it?)

Not for A&F it's not and I'm guessing its also probably on the Stockton Campus which isn't even in Durham and slightly separate!
Original post by Potally_Tissed
In 2010 at least, Warwick was actually one of the top universities for giving places through Adjustment :holmes: I don't know what courses it was for though.

Maybe for some courses but their maths and finance departments are their very strongest and one of the most sought after in the country.
Original post by Brand New Eyes
So if you don't get a place through adjustment can you still go to your firm? (Also, UCAS doesn't list adjustment places like clearing does it?)

Not for A&F it's not and I'm guessing its also probably on the Stockton Campus which isn't even in Durham and slightly separate!

For adjustment you can browse other universities without losing your firm as far as I understand.
Reply 23
Original post by hassi94
For adjustment you can browse other universities without losing your firm as far as I understand.

This is indeed the case.
Reply 24
I'm looking at trying to go through adjustment in August, because I've got much better coursework results than I was expecting when I made my application. I'm now looking at coming out with AAA with a firm wanting ABB. I love my firm, but I'm realising that I'm probably better off at a Russell Group (York is my ideal) or something else if I'm gonna come out with AAA.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of adjustment, and what are my chances of getting into a really good university through it? I would've assumed that all good ones fill up their places in the applications. Emailed a few places and got replies ranging from 'no chance' to 'we've filled up our spaces as of now - unlikely but you're welcome to try'.

My course is English and History joint honours if that helps, though I'm considering being flexible in terms of taking either single honours if it means I could go to somewhere really good that I love.

Edit: I may just come out with ABB and then this whole thread will be redundant. Oh well.

Out of interest who did you email about it? Similar-ish with course, hopefully English and Politics :smile:
Reply 25
This is indeed the case.

What about insurance?
Reply 26
Original post by studentccs
Out of interest who did you email about it? Similar-ish with course, hopefully English and Politics :smile:

I emailed the department.

Original post by Alina2793
What about insurance?

The idea is that in order to qualify for adjustment, you have to have exceeded your firm choice. Therefore, if you need to keep your insurance choice then you haven't qualified for it.
Reply 27
To use adjustment, do you have to apply to unis/courses with higher offer grades than your firm choice? Because that's impossible if your firm offer is AAA and you've achieved A*AA or above, because there aren't any unis whose offers are higher than AAA other than Cambridge.

Or can you apply through adjustment to courses with the same offer grades, i.e. AAA, after having achieved A*AA in your results?
Original post by lp94
To use adjustment, do you have to apply to unis/courses with higher offer grades than your firm choice? Because that's impossible if your firm offer is AAA and you've achieved A*AA or above, because there aren't any unis whose offers are higher than AAA other than Cambridge.

Or can you apply through adjustment to courses with the same offer grades, i.e. AAA, after having achieved A*AA in your results?

There are no restrictions on where you can apply to using Adjustment. If you're eligible to use it you can apply anywhere with it; you could get A*A*A*, meet and exceed your A*A*A offer from Cambridge, and adjust to somewhere asking for CCC if you wanted to do so.
I want to know and consider my options about adjustment too. I have an offer for marketing at Durham (ABB) but it was always my dream to go to London. KCL rejected me, but if I got the grades do you think I could get on via adjustment even though I was rejected through ucas? My predicted grades were A*AA.
Reply 30
Original post by scaredofexams
I want to know and consider my options about adjustment too. I have an offer for marketing at Durham (ABB) but it was always my dream to go to London. KCL rejected me, but if I got the grades do you think I could get on via adjustment even though I was rejected through ucas? My predicted grades were A*AA.

This is basically the reason I made the thread. If you exceed your firm ABB offer (i.e. AAB or higher) then you can try for KCL. Whether or not they take you is up to them/depends on their course spaces. The general conclusion from this thread is that there's no way of knowing until August.
Reply 31
Can you apply through adjustment to a different course at your insurance uni?
Original post by lp94
Can you apply through adjustment to a different course at your insurance uni?

Yes. Well, technically no if you want to be unnecessarily pedantic (see below), but the straightforward answer is yes, you can do that :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 33
Yes. Well, technically no if you want to be unnecessarily pedantic (see below), but the straightforward answer is yes, you can do that :smile:

Spoiler

Okay, thanks :smile:
Reply 34

Spoiler

Again this a purely speculative question yet do you think your application in adjustment may be considered a little stronger (if anything at all) if you had already been rejected from that uni for the specific course you are wanting to do?
Original post by nmccann
Again this a purely speculative question yet do you think your application in adjustment may be considered a little stronger (if anything at all) if you had already been rejected from that uni for the specific course you are wanting to do?

Maybe, maybe not. If it was just your grades that let you down originally then the fact that your grades must have improved would be of far more benefit than the fact you're applying in Adjustment, but I guess there's a chance they would see you as more committed to going to that particular uni.

If they rejected you for reasons besides grades then those reasons are unlikely to have changed.
Reply 36
Maybe, maybe not. If it was just your grades that let you down originally then the fact that your grades must have improved would be of far more benefit than the fact you're applying in Adjustment, but I guess there's a chance they would see you as more committed to going to that particular uni.

If they rejected you for reasons besides grades then those reasons are unlikely to have changed.

Yeah it was actually my grades was my reason. The weird thing is my current offer is AAA and I would try to use adjustment to get into the same course at different uni who ask for AAB and they are higher in the league tables :s-smilie:
Reply 37
i'm hoping to use adjustment if i exceed my AAA/A*AB offer and get A*AAA (i did the EPQ) for law at sheffield and apply to LSE or others with A*AA requirements...
Reply 38
Do you send email or ring the unis on the result day if i want to go through adjustment? (I an international student, not in the UK atm)
Original post by batman530
Do you send email or ring the unis on the result day if i want to go through adjustment? (I an international student, not in the UK atm)

There will be an option to register on Track itself :yep:

Latest