The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Triple Science Grade Boundaries

The reason for this thread is because I am unsure about my grades.
First and foremost in my biology 1 exam I got 78% and in my physics 1 exam I received 76% which I was and still am rather disappointed in because I was expecting 2 A* because I had received A* in all the practise tests and controlled assessments.

Now let me get to the point the school have told me that I have to 2 B's however they have given this as a percentage and when I asked if it was UMS the teacher said no and said they would convert it after we do all our exams however according to the AQA website I should have an A* in physics and a really high A in biology when the percentage in converted to UMS.

So can someone please tell me what grade I have got?

My raw marks are:

46/60 for physics & 47/60 for biology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did you do these papers last January?
And if so, how do you know your raw marks? If your raw marks are right though, it should be a high A in biology and an A* in physics...

Are you absolutely sure that your teacher knew what he/she was talking about? Because usually the UMS marks are given with results; not the raw marks or the percentages.
Reply 2
Yes these papers were taken in January 2012.
Also my school weren't given the UMS mark the exam board told them to convert it but they still haven't as they will after all the exams so they have told us our percentages and raw marks so what grades have I got?

Original post by usycool1
And if so, how do you know your raw marks? If your raw marks are right though, it should be a high A in biology and an A* in physics...

Are you absolutely sure that your teacher knew what he/she was talking about? Because usually the UMS marks are given with results; not the raw marks or the percentages.
Reply 3
Original post by SportsFan
Yes these papers were taken in January 2012.
Also my school weren't given the UMS mark the exam board told them to convert it but they still haven't as they will after all the exams so they have told us our percentages and raw marks so what grades have I got?

Oh, OK, that's slightly strange but OK :smile:

It should be an A in biology and an A* in physics then :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you I wanted to make sure.
My biology & physics is now overall A* if what you have stated is true due to my ISA's which I got 100% in. Anyone else want to give what you think so I have more opinions?

Oh, OK, that's slightly strange but OK :smile:

It should be an A in biology and an A* in physics then :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you I wanted to make sure.
My biology & physics is now overall A* if what you have stated is true due to my ISA's which I got 100% in. Anyone else want to give what you think so I have more opinions?

Well done :biggrin: But please don't take my complete word for it as I'm just saying what I think is true. I could be wrong (but for your sake, I really hope I'm not :smile: )
Reply 6
Ok so can other people please give what they think my grades could be after they are converted to UMS so I have more than one other persons opinion.

Please and Thank You.
Reply 7
Wait aren't AQA triple science papers out of 45? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Kitty.Cat
Wait aren't AQA triple science papers out of 45? :s-smilie:

The specification has changed :smile:
Reply 9
The specification has changed :smile:

Ah thats explains it :P
Wait is this on the outgoing spec or the new one then? I'm on the outgoing one (3 papers and an ISA which are out of 45/ 40 for the ISA) but the new spec was only introduced at the start of this academic year and I've been told that triple award science on the new spec only sit two exams in each of the three sciences respectively at the end of year 11. So which spec is the OP on?

Yeah, we never got given the raw marks. Surely you should get UMS as well since effectively that's what the grade boundaries are based on? Makes more sense than giving out the raw marks as students don't know what grades they have.. Confused.
Reply 13
Everyone I am on the new spec and for triple science we sit 3 exams and 1 ISA each being 25% of our grades.
Reply 14
the exam board wont give it as a percentage, i would assume the worst, that you got 2 Bs, because what youve said is very strange and ive never heard of a situation like it before
Reply 15
Well thats how my teacher has told me I will hope for the best but it probably could be the worst.
Original post by outsider95
the exam board wont give it as a percentage, i would assume the worst, that you got 2 Bs, because what youve said is very strange and ive never heard of a situation like it before

On our marks back we get our score and grade, not a percentage, obviously you can work it out, but I don't think you would have got the percentage with our results:confused:
Reply 17
I am a bit confused here anyone else can you please give your input as this has given very divided opinions
Reply 18
I am a bit confused here anyone else can you please give your input as this has given very divided opinions

To but it bluntly, you HAVE gotten 2 Bs. Take it from someone whos had a lot of results slips over the last 3 years - They dont give percentages on them, they give you your UMS marks and a grade, its the only way the exam boards have ever done it.
Reply 19
Your wrong my teacher just told me today that the exam board gace our school as a percentage and I have found that now it has been converted to UMS I have got an A* in Physics and High A (1 Mark away from a A*) in Biology.

To but it bluntly, you HAVE gotten 2 Bs. Take it from someone whos had a lot of results slips over the last 3 years - They dont give percentages on them, they give you your UMS marks and a grade, its the only way the exam boards have ever done it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending