The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA2 29th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Saif95
Im asking about independant behaviour (resisting social influence)...my teacher told me that individual differences in independant behaviour (locus of control and attributional style) has been deleted from the spec and it also says...

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2180-W-SP-12-SOC.PDF

Original post by Lauramayxxxx
I'm pretty sure LOC is still included seems as I've still been taught it and the changes were made in 2011, also if you look on the specification LOC is still on there.

Also what I said was independent behaviour. Having an internal LOC can explain why people can resist the pressures to conform and obey (which what I said about gender links to). Reactance can explain why people can resist conforming, having an anti-conformist personality means you can resist the pressures to conform.
When resisting the pressures to obey you can mention having reduced proximity, social heroism (such as Rosa Parkes or Nelson Mandella), and being in the autonomous state etc...

Original post by Saif95
But if you look here at the spec http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2180-W-SP-12-SOC.PDF

It says individual difference in independant behaviour..(locus of control and attributional style) has been deleted..:s-smilie: my teacher said so also so it can't be wrong...

Is independant behaviour not to do with resisting pressures to conform/obey..? :s-smilie:

My teacher has clarified:

"Individual differences in independent behaviour have gone, but independent behaviour stays. Locus of control is explicitly mentioned on the spec. Attributional style is useful to evaluate locus of control and if you get a 12 mark question."

So L.O.C is still there...
Reply 321
Original post by shybrowngirl
hi sorry if this was asked before, but does anyone have a complete list of all the topics; including the sub-topics?? :smile:

That's pretty much what the spec is:

Biological Psychology - Stress

Stress as a bodily response:
The body’s response to stress, including the pituitary-adrenal system and the sympathomedullary pathway in outline
Stress-related illness and the immune system

Stress in everyday life:
Life changes and daily hassles as sources of stress
Workplace stress including the effects of workload and control
Personality factors, including Type A and Type B behaviour, hardiness
Psychological and biological methods of stress management, including stress inoculation therapy and drug therapy

Social Psychology - Social Influence

Social influence:
Conformity (majority influence) and explanations of why people conform, including informational social influence and normative social influence
Types of conformity, including internalisation and compliance
Obedience to authority, including Milgram’s work and explanations of why people obey

Social influence in everyday life:
Explanations of independent behaviour, including locus of control, how people resist pressures to conform and resist pressures to obey authority
How social influence research helps us to understand social change; the role of minority influence in social change

Individual Differences Psychopathology (Abnormality)

Defining and explaining psychological abnormality:
Definitions of abnormality, including deviation from social norms, failure to function adequately and deviation from ideal mental health, and limitations of these definitions of psychological abnormality
The biological approach to psychopathology
Psychological approaches to psychopathology including the psychodynamic, behavioural and cognitive approaches

Treating abnormality:
Biological therapies, including drugs and ECT
Psychological therapies, including psychoanalysis, systematic de-sensitisation and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Original post by Tim Kelly
That's pretty much what the spec is:

Biological Psychology - Stress

Stress as a bodily response:
The body’s response to stress, including the pituitary-adrenal system and the sympathomedullary pathway in outline
Stress-related illness and the immune system

Stress in everyday life:
Life changes and daily hassles as sources of stress
Workplace stress including the effects of workload and control
Personality factors, including Type A and Type B behaviour, hardiness
Psychological and biological methods of stress management, including stress inoculation therapy and drug therapy

Social Psychology - Social Influence

Social influence:
Conformity (majority influence) and explanations of why people conform, including informational social influence and normative social influence
Types of conformity, including internalisation and compliance
Obedience to authority, including Milgram’s work and explanations of why people obey

Social influence in everyday life:
Explanations of independent behaviour, including locus of control, how people resist pressures to conform and resist pressures to obey authority
How social influence research helps us to understand social change; the role of minority influence in social change

Individual Differences Psychopathology (Abnormality)

Defining and explaining psychological abnormality:
Definitions of abnormality, including deviation from social norms, failure to function adequately and deviation from ideal mental health, and limitations of these definitions of psychological abnormality
The biological approach to psychopathology
Psychological approaches to psychopathology including the psychodynamic, behavioural and cognitive approaches

Treating abnormality:
Biological therapies, including drugs and ECT
Psychological therapies, including psychoanalysis, systematic de-sensitisation and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

thank you!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 323
Original post by Saif95
So what is 'individual difference in indepent behaviour' referring to then? And what do you mean if we get a 12 mark question..? If it's gone then surely we wouldnt get a 12 marker on it not even a one marker on it..

So what do we have to know about 'Impliciations for social change'..?

and we wouldn't get a 12 marker on it...right? The AQA A AS Mini companion states we only need to know 6 marks worth of material for it so I guess not..

(last bit left to revise!! :biggrin:)

As far as I can understand, the gist of things is we could get a 12 marker on LOC and yeah we'd only need 6 points of information, but we still need another 6 marks of AO2, which is where attributional style comes in because it argues against LOC, saying it's too simplistic.

I don't have a clue what individual differences in resisting pressures to obey concerns, my teacher says she's been teaching us the 2012 spec, so we just haven't been taught it :/

Implications for social change you define social change (When a minority influence in society becomes a majority, changing the zeitgeist) then just apply Milgram, Asch and Moscovici to real life social change. E.g:

Milgram shows gradual commitment *explain how*: relate to real life; e.g. recycling:
- No one recycles
- Told to put bottles in bottle bank
- Told to recycle paper
- Told to recycle more stuff; tin cans etc...

Asch shows us role of a dissenter:
- Rosa Parks or Martin Luther King would be good real life examples of a dissenter in social change

Moscovici shows how a minority needs to be consistent to exert an influence
- Talk about the suffragettes for example, they were a consistent minority that exerted an influence, which eventually caused social change.

Then for AO2 just evaluate these studies! (3 detailed points should be enough, but I like to do 2 positives and one negative to be sure)
Am I the only one who's ****ting myself? There is SO much content! And we did it backwards...studied Abnormality, Social Influence, then Stress. But our teacher said she didn't have enough time to teach us everything on stress (we started AFTER Easter holidays) so she only taught us the basic stuff!! I'm literally sh*tting a brick!
Reply 325
High Bs like 2/3 off an A. I know ones that repeated even though they had an A in the module. Someone got 286 in biology out of 300 in AS in my year she repeated.
Reply 326
My Best friend has my aqa textbook and I don't drive and live 35 miles apart. I didn't even look through it once. Was very expensive too. Must of read all AS psychology books in my college library and made notes because I have sooo many notes. Guess I don't need it now as at the end of the day psychology is psychology and as long as I'm not looking at undergraduate stuff should be okay.
Original post by pickles_mix
Am I the only one who's ****ting myself? There is SO much content! And we did it backwards...studied Abnormality, Social Influence, then Stress. But our teacher said she didn't have enough time to teach us everything on stress (we started AFTER Easter holidays) so she only taught us the basic stuff!! I'm literally sh*tting a brick!

omg exactly the same. she said "i will teach you what you need to know"... i have no idea about the sympathomedullary pathway etc..., as in the actual process. i can pluck the long words out of thin air bt dont know the actual process!

if you nee any help on social influence or abnormality i can help you if you want
Original post by pickles_mix

lol this is A Levels: you're supposed to be doing extra studies around the subject and not relying on your teachers. I had to buy a biology textbook, 2 different psychology textbooks which one wasn't around the syllabus or exam board, and a few of Freud's books just to get my head around this unit.
(edited 11 years ago)
hey guys what are your predictions on what will come up?
Original post by antonia95
could anyone explain moscovicis social influence research>?

Intro! Moscovici conducted a laboratory experiement in which he wanted to see whether a minority could influence the views of a larger group when answering a question.

The Experiment! The experiment consisted of a group of two people and a group of three people (spearate groups) being shown pieces of card with different shades of green on, they were then asked to shout out what colour they thought was on the card.

Hypothesis! The idea being that the confederates within the groups would then influence the decision of the true participants, even when the suggestion that it maybe dark blue was ridiculous!

Results! A third of participants, 32% judged the slides to be green at least once, where 8.42% of participants consisted to the minority.

Conclusion? Minorities can influence a majority, but not all the time and only when they behave in certain ways (e.g. consistent behaviour style).
Can anyone explain what CBT involves, lets say we got a 4-5 mark question asking us what CBT involves, what would we have to mention?
Something about the ABC model I'm guessing and trying to rid of our irrational thoughts, into more rational, positive thoughts?? Thanks :smile:
Reply 332
yeah you have to write about the ABC model by ellis and how our thoughts affect our feelings, affecting our behaviour
Can anyone explain what CBT involves, lets say we got a 4-5 mark question asking us what CBT involves, what would we have to mention?
Something about the ABC model I'm guessing and trying to rid of our irrational thoughts, into more rational, positive thoughts?? Thanks :smile:

CBT therapy involves either Beck's approach to therapy or Ellis's ABC therapy.

Beck
- Monitor negattive thoughts.
- Decide if those throughs are 'irrational'.
- Lastly, challenge and replace those negative thoughts with positive ones!

Ellis
- A, activating event such as; "I walked past a friend and they didn't say Hello!"
- B, belief about A such as; "They ignored me so they must hate me."
- C, consequence about B such as; "I will ignore them from now on."

Ellis essentially says that you need change the 'Belief' and 'Consequence' about A. So "They didnt ignore me, just didnt see me." and that "I should probably ring them to see if they are ok."
has anyone done the june 2010 paper, question 8?

im confused as to how you can get full marks for that... help? :/
Original post by megfashion
has anyone done the june 2010 paper, question 8?

im confused as to how you can get full marks for that... help? :/

I'd firstly outline normative and informational social influence, and then I'd evaluate them using sherif and asch as the examples. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'd firstly outline normative and informational social influence, and then I'd evaluate them using sherif and asch as the examples. :smile:

oh yer, that makes sense. thankyou :smile: i knew bout the normative n informational, bt didnt think about adding studies :/ thanks :smile:
Original post by megfashion
oh yer, that makes sense. thankyou :smile: i knew bout the normative n informational, bt didnt think about adding studies :/ thanks :smile:

Whenever you have "evaluate" in the question you should always look to use case studies and the design of the experiment to evalute it. :smile:
Ok, so are problem focused and emotion focused coping strategies NOT going to come up?
Original post by Quafflewing12168
Ok, so are problem focused and emotion focused coping strategies NOT going to come up?

Definitely not, I asked my teacher today too. They've been taken off the specification :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending