The Student Room Group

Racist housemate is bullying me

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Octohedral
It's unfair, but it's not really abuse - she's just ignoring you (I'm not belittling it, just giving you some consolation - I have heard of victims of some really hellish hate campaigns by housemates, so at least you don't have to go through that).

She was probably brought up by ignorant racist parents, and is too closed minded to change her mind. You have every right to be there, so don't leave, but if you react you will just reinforce her prejudices. There is no reason why you should be nice to her, but you can choose to be - show her you are above it, and be civil to her, and she may just realise how wrong she is. On the other hand, if she tries anything on get the university involved - you don't have to stand for it!

If you're really brave, make a cake, offer her some, and ask if she wants to talk about it. You might make a small difference in the world, and if you don't it's not your problem :smile:

(Or get your 6ft3 'cousin' to sort her out)

+1 for the cousin. :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by ThumbsUp
Even though racism is wrong on all levels, you did drag it out of her. It's not like she came up to you on day one and said 'I don't like you because your not white' and then verbally and physically started abusing you. Even though its a sad situation, she was to an extent, quite civil about her stupid prejudices, so it was neither bullying nor abuse, it was simply an unfortunate situation for you to be in.

WTF?it´s because people like you that people like this girl is not punished, behaviour like this can´t be allowed someway
Reply 22
Wait, people like this actually still exist in the 21st century?

I thought the new generation was over racism.

Anyways, you might as well just stay there and ignore her for the short duration you have to and then look foward to spending next year with people who aren't living 50 years in the past.
Original post by I Gurn Hard
It's an opinion. I don't like the french (or bloody liberals), so shoot me.

Shot.
I know someone by the name of Agent 47 and beleive he can help you out.

His number is 07154754214.
As far as I am aware, disliking someone does not = bullying.
I don't get why so many of you are shocked. Racism in Britain is common-- from dirty looks and people ignoring you to calling you paki and bin laden. Not saying it's that extreme every day but racism isnt unusual in Britain at all. You go on in spite of it. Buckle up and be more single minded.

I'm weary in all honesty. You don't just assume every white person isn't racist but remain conscious of the tell tale signs. If they are racist, screw them and move on. You're a bit naive if you assume everyone is lovey dovey like that and welcoming of all races. It's a good experience for you because in the working world life (/employees) is much harsher than university.

(This is only based on my experience and I say white people because in Britain they are the majority and it's the minority trying to fit in.)
(edited 11 years ago)
if I was you I'd have fun with it - start acting in every single racist stereotype there is of black people but make it obvious that you are just taking the piss and embarrass the **** out of her!
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently a first year and I moved in to a shared house with second and third years in September. This was because I was a late applicant and I could not get halls. There is this one girl who I live with who will talk to everyone else in the house but me. This has been going on since I moved in, at first I thought it could be because she is shy and didn't know me previously to moving in and already knew the others. When I would say hi should would just ignore me and pretend that I wasn't there. I knew that I didn't want to live there with those people again next year, so I found a place with my course mates super early in the beginning of November. They sorted out a smaller house for next year, because the third years were leaving, this was done without me. I only found out after they had sorted it out, but it didn't matter because I had found somewhere already.
Well last month I finally decided that I should confront this girl, we were alone together in the kitchen. I asked her if she had a problem with me and then she just rolled her eyes. So I asked her again and she said and I quote "I don't like your type of people". I was shocked I knew what she meant as I am half black, but I asked her what she meant by that and her reply was "you know exactly what I mean" then I told her "no I don't, do you want to tell me?" and she fired back saying "it's because your not white".
I took myself home and I didn't come back for a long time, I only came back for my exams and there over soon, but I can't stand being in this house. Is it worth moving out or should I put up with it for another week?
I'm just shocked that people are still like that, I told the girls that I'm living with next year and they were shocked and disgusted.
Would you class this as bullying or abuse?

ArticleImage_20790-jpg.xpng.jpg
Reply 29
I am currently a first year and I moved in to a shared house with second and third years in September. This was because I was a late applicant and I could not get halls. There is this one girl who I live with who will talk to everyone else in the house but me. This has been going on since I moved in, at first I thought it could be because she is shy and didn't know me previously to moving in and already knew the others. When I would say hi should would just ignore me and pretend that I wasn't there. I knew that I didn't want to live there with those people again next year, so I found a place with my course mates super early in the beginning of November. They sorted out a smaller house for next year, because the third years were leaving, this was done without me. I only found out after they had sorted it out, but it didn't matter because I had found somewhere already.
Well last month I finally decided that I should confront this girl, we were alone together in the kitchen. I asked her if she had a problem with me and then she just rolled her eyes. So I asked her again and she said and I quote "I don't like your type of people". I was shocked I knew what she meant as I am half black, but I asked her what she meant by that and her reply was "you know exactly what I mean" then I told her "no I don't, do you want to tell me?" and she fired back saying "it's because your not white".
I took myself home and I didn't come back for a long time, I only came back for my exams and there over soon, but I can't stand being in this house. Is it worth moving out or should I put up with it for another week?
I'm just shocked that people are still like that, I told the girls that I'm living with next year and they were shocked and disgusted.

It's only bullying if you class it as bullying. Personally I wouldn't care if such a thing happened to me, but then again I'm white person living in a white majority country so I haven't been affected a lot by such things.

What you do is completely up to you. If you're a toughie, I'd just bursh it off and ignore her too, it doesn't matter what she thinks, and she's hardly going to change her view and at least she was honest with you.

If you're not living with her next year then oh well. It's a fact of life, scores of people are still racist, especially in this country. Why do you think the BNP got over 500,000 votes in the last election?
Reply 30
It's not bullying or abuse, she's not legally obligated to like you. She's just a racist, just ignore her.

It's a shame there are people like that, just let people know she's a racist. Hopefully not many will like her after that.
Reply 31
What's been said before, ignoring you, even if it for your skin colour is not bullying nor is it abuse.
it's bloody ridiculous, but it's neither of those things, if she outwardly expresses her views on your skin colour in a manner which you find offensive, then that is racial abuse.
Original post by GreenLantern1
Shot.

Har de har. Which one are you then, 'green lanterned 1?'

Wow there are actually people like that who get to university?
If you're a girl, kick her ass. If you're a boy, just ignore her you can;t really do much. You can't really report her because she's not saying anything to you, she's just not talking to you.
If some racist guy lived in my hall, i'd kick his f*cking ass.
Reply 35
lol @ the people saying 'tell your tutor'... ****ing pathetic! Get a grip and grow some balls.
Reply 36

Shes a racist dadf*cking b*tch!! Ignore the F*ck and live on. Where are you? in the states? Most of the americans are like this.
Oh and to deal with her, the next time she says any ****, slap that b*tch!
I wouldn't class it as bullying or abuse, it's just life sadly you are going to meet people like that. Hopefully this hasn't affected your uni experience, I'm glad that you have somewhere better to live next year. Also OP, what uni are you at? just out of pure curiosity!

Original post by lubus
So not talking to you is a form of bullying? Im sure if i went to any backward african country, blacks wouldnt wanna interact too much with the white guy (apart from mugging me tht is). You were not bullied. She has the right to an opinion, no matter weather it is racist or not. Now, if she had for example written racist slogans all over the house, yes, that can be racial abuse, or if she was verbally abusing you. But simply ignoring you is not abuse. Infact, its you who has a problem; seeing someone doesnt want to interact with you, instead of leaving them alone you bitch them. Dont act so arrogant, im sure you knew why she was ignoring you.

Excuse me?
How is OP being "arrogant" all they have done is highlighted a problem that's just happened and asked for advice. Like OP said they thought that they were being ignored because they were the new person in the house who didn't know the housemates to prior to living with them. By confronting her OP was not bitching but just asking why. Also I'm sure that OP did leave her alone as OP only confronted the racist recently. September to May is quite a long time, just saying.

We live in England a civilised society were racism of all kinds is not tolerated on any grounds. Yes it's sad that it still exists but seeing your post made me quite angry.
Reply 38
Record
Reply 39
She's hardly bullied you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending