The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Desperate help needed deciding on UEA

I'll start off by saying I have confirmed my place, but I have researched my options from here.

What I want to know is whether it would be worth trying to change my Uni choice to somewhere further away? Or, do that UCAS Progress report thing for them to try find me a "better" Uni.

I am saying this because of my expected grades being better than the offer, and the closeness of UEA (I live in Ipswich)

Finally, I would like to state that I do love UEA, and Norwich, I am just having a really tough time here.

Thank you to anyone who replies :smile:

Scroll to see replies

What do you mean...better uni???? :unimpressed: UEA IS THE CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE.

Just kidding, the uni's in my hometown are great but I totally understand if you want to go somewhere further from home! Well, if you think you'd be better off changing and going somewhere a bit further away then surely it's better to do that than stick to a uni if you won't be happy?
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
What do you mean...better uni???? :unimpressed: UEA IS THE CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE.

Just kidding, the uni's in my hometown are great but I totally understand if you want to go somewhere further from home! Well, if you think you'd be better off changing and going somewhere a bit further away then surely it's better to do that than stick to a uni if you won't be happy?

I did quote it for that reason, because it is a good Uni ;D Though, I mean with such a competitive course such a Psychology should I consider RISKING my place doing the progress report. (My predicted grades are A*A*A now and my offer is ABB)

One thing I always find with posts about UEA is that people who go there absolutely love it, and that's a rare thing with these threads...
Original post by Curtis_Lee
I did quote it for that reason, because it is a good Uni ;D Though, I mean with such a competitive course such a Psychology should I consider RISKING my place doing the progress report. (My predicted grades are A*A*A now and my offer is ABB)

One thing I always find with posts about UEA is that people who go there absolutely love it, and that's a rare thing with these threads...

Pretty sure it had the happiest students in Britain in 2010. I love it, I wish I could go now. Such a love affair with UEA. :lol:

Well, even if you do lose your place, just take a gap yah and reapply? :wink:
Reply 4
Is is worth considering ucas adjustment? You wait till results day and if you exceed your offer you can ring other universities to see if they have a place? If no one does then you still keep your firm place. For the record UEA is my insurance for psychology :wink: and also, good on you for raising your predicted grades so much! :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Pretty sure it had the happiest students in Britain in 2010. I love it, I wish I could go now. Such a love affair with UEA. :lol:

Well, even if you do lose your place, just take a gap yah and reapply? :wink:

I saw that too, what a magical award that is! Oh no, the thought of taking a gap year scares me. I already wasted one year in a terrible sixth form centre, I couldn't lose out on another.

Original post by hjradley1
Is is worth considering ucas adjustment? You wait till results day and if you exceed your offer you can ring other universities to see if they have a place? If no one does then you still keep your firm place. For the record UEA is my insurance for psychology :wink: and also, good on you for raising your predicted grades so much! :biggrin:

I think that's the thing I was trying to talk about, but I don't quite get. Do I personally do it, or does UCAS try to help me? Also, they make it sound extremely risky; "students who change their mind late on in the application process will normally lose any accommodation guarantee and/or be last in the queue for popular accommodation types (ensuite, good value, close to campus, etc). There may also be delays in securing student finance." etc. and that popular courses such as Psychology don't tend to be in there.

Eeeee, thank you. It means a lot :biggrin:

This is very hard.
Reply 6
You have to register online (I think it's on track or somewhere on the UCAS website) and then you have 5 days to try and secure an alternative university. It's similar to clearing but the other way around if that makes sense, and as far as I'm aware there's like a list of universities that have places but you have to contact them. Yes there is a risk with accommodation but there will be a number of firmers that didn't meet their offer so a lot of it will free up - this will be given to insurance choice people as well but they technically have no accommodation guarantee either. Psychology is popular so it's less certain and it is risky. But personally, I feel it would be less risky because if non of the other universities have places you can still go to UEA - a security you don't have if you try and change now. In addition you'll know your grades so you'll know where you can apply. But really it's personal choice, I'm a bit of an anxious person so I wouldn't want to take the risk, but I think there's cons to UCAS adjustment, as well as pros - as you highlighted. Hope you sort something out! If I wasn't so in love with my firm, I'd be in the same position as you although I'm still worried I won't get into my firm :L best of luck!!
Reply 7
You have to register online (I think it's on track or somewhere on the UCAS website) and then you have 5 days to try and secure an alternative university. It's similar to clearing but the other way around if that makes sense, and as far as I'm aware there's like a list of universities that have places but you have to contact them. Yes there is a risk with accommodation but there will be a number of firmers that didn't meet their offer so a lot of it will free up - this will be given to insurance choice people as well but they technically have no accommodation guarantee either. Psychology is popular so it's less certain and it is risky. But personally, I feel it would be less risky because if non of the other universities have places you can still go to UEA - a security you don't have if you try and change now. In addition you'll know your grades so you'll know where you can apply. But really it's personal choice, I'm a bit of an anxious person so I wouldn't want to take the risk, but I think there's cons to UCAS adjustment, as well as pros - as you highlighted. Hope you sort something out! If I wasn't so in love with my firm, I'd be in the same position as you although I'm still worried I won't get into my firm :L best of luck!!

This is what I was thinking of doing, and you're right! I do love UEA, I think it's great I just have to think about my academic future as well as my social life.

Thank you so much, you've been a lot of help. :smile: Btw, what is your firm choice?
Reply 8
This is what I was thinking of doing, and you're right! I do love UEA, I think it's great I just have to think about my academic future as well as my social life.

Thank you so much, you've been a lot of help. :smile: Btw, what is your firm choice?

I'm glad :smile: university of Nottingham is my firm :smile: they've been wonderful in terms of support (I'm hearing impaired and have anxiety) and the campus is wonderful, the oppotunities are great. I'm not living in halls as I'm moving out with my boyfriend and the campus is near to where I hope to live. Whereas with UEA the city is 3miles from the uni and I'm worried if I did completely mess up my exams that I'll miss out on everything partly coz I find it hard to intergrate myself socially :L so I don't really want to go to UEA despite it being a great uni.

I really see where you're coming from though, it's gotta be a difficult decision. I just couldn't take the plunge without knowing wha my grades are going to be, which is why I think adjustment is such a good option. But my heart is now set on Nottingham, even though my teachers have told me I could easily get A*A* (and my offer being AB) I still wouldn't change my uni :3
Reply 9
I'm glad :smile: university of Nottingham is my firm :smile: they've been wonderful in terms of support (I'm hearing impaired and have anxiety) and the campus is wonderful, the oppotunities are great. I'm not living in halls as I'm moving out with my boyfriend and the campus is near to where I hope to live. Whereas with UEA the city is 3miles from the uni and I'm worried if I did completely mess up my exams that I'll miss out on everything partly coz I find it hard to intergrate myself socially :L so I don't really want to go to UEA despite it being a great uni.

I really see where you're coming from though, it's gotta be a difficult decision. I just couldn't take the plunge without knowing wha my grades are going to be, which is why I think adjustment is such a good option. But my heart is now set on Nottingham, even though my teachers have told me I could easily get A*A* (and my offer being AB) I still wouldn't change my uni :3

With a situation like yours, when you find a University that is willing to help you out all the steps of the way and retain a good reputation, it would be hard not to want to go there ;D Also, i've only heard good things for Nottingham so it should be awesome :smile:

It's a hard one, and I very important decision. I don't think I should make any rash choices, as that kinda got me into this situation! Plus, the adjustment scheme is kinda a win/win situation (with a bit of lose in there somewhere) so it is the smart choice.

I can quote you now; "good on you for raising your predicted grades so much" and on a side note, good for you for not letting your anxiety or any other problem get in the way of your choices! :smile:
Reply 10
With a situation like yours, when you find a University that is willing to help you out all the steps of the way and retain a good reputation, it would be hard not to want to go there ;D Also, i've only heard good things for Nottingham so it should be awesome :smile:

It's a hard one, and I very important decision. I don't think I should make any rash choices, as that kinda got me into this situation! Plus, the adjustment scheme is kinda a win/win situation (with a bit of lose in there somewhere) so it is the smart choice.

I can quote you now; "good on you for raising your predicted grades so much" and on a side note, good for you for not letting your anxiety or any other problem get in the way of your choices! :smile:

Yeah I'm worried about not getting in but I'm sure the majority of us are, and if I don't I'm sure I'll enjoy UEA :smile:
Yeah definitely think about it in-depthly before committing to anything :smile:
Haha you say that, but I did have to re-do yr12 for various issues, including anxiety :L hence why I got my psychology A-level last year - it was the only subject I could do whilst I was so ill. But now I'm mostly okay, I can do other things too :P but it actually really confirmed how much I wanted to do psychology for the rest of my life because I'm good at it, I'm passionate, and I have personal experience of certain aspects of it, and also what effect psychologists can have etc. etc.
What A-levels are you doing? :smile:
And if you were going to go through adjustment, you got an unis in mind you'd hope had a place for you? :biggrin:
Reply 11
Yeah I'm worried about not getting in but I'm sure the majority of us are, and if I don't I'm sure I'll enjoy UEA :smile:
Yeah definitely think about it in-depthly before committing to anything :smile:
Haha you say that, but I did have to re-do yr12 for various issues, including anxiety :L hence why I got my psychology A-level last year - it was the only subject I could do whilst I was so ill. But now I'm mostly okay, I can do other things too :P but it actually really confirmed how much I wanted to do psychology for the rest of my life because I'm good at it, I'm passionate, and I have personal experience of certain aspects of it, and also what effect psychologists can have etc. etc.
What A-levels are you doing? :smile:
And if you were going to go through adjustment, you got an unis in mind you'd hope had a place for you? :biggrin:

I had to re-do mine too, but because I sucked so hard (well, the sixth form did too) and then when I went to college I did Psychology and just fell in love with it. Very similar to your situation, I failed a year and then concentrated on Psychology, I also have had experiences that make me find humans so interesting (parents, parents, siblings with various issues) that make it apply to life.

I am doing Psychology, Sociology and Communication and Culture :smile: You?

Well, shamely enough, I don't really know. I wanted Bristol but they turned me down because of my GCSE's annoyingly enough. Maybe Sussex, UCL, Bath along them lines. Nottingham would be cool too.
Reply 12
I had to re-do mine too, but because I sucked so hard (well, the sixth form did too) and then when I went to college I did Psychology and just fell in love with it. Very similar to your situation, I failed a year and then concentrated on Psychology, I also have had experiences that make me find humans so interesting (parents, parents, siblings with various issues) that make it apply to life.

I am doing Psychology, Sociology and Communication and Culture :smile: You?

Well, shamely enough, I don't really know. I wanted Bristol but they turned me down because of my GCSE's annoyingly enough. Maybe Sussex, UCL, Bath along them lines. Nottingham would be cool too.

Aah that's cool :smile: y'see I love science...but I find behaviour fascinating, so putting the two together is perfect.

I did psychology last year as you know, religious studies and biology (plus the extended project where I did my own psychology research which was amazing!). Communication and culture sounds interesting - never heard of it! :L

Oooh they're all great uni's. I looked at UCL, but I hate London, and it was really academic so I felt a bit intimidated, they also really frown on re-sits and generally only take those who did exams in the first sitting but they do consider extenuating circumstances. so I got put off and didn't apply :L
Don't know anything about the others except Nottingham - you should blatantly go there if you get at least AAB (and B at GCSE maths), such a good uni :wink: not that I'm biased or anything....:P
Reply 13
Aah that's cool :smile: y'see I love science...but I find behaviour fascinating, so putting the two together is perfect.

I did psychology last year as you know, religious studies and biology (plus the extended project where I did my own psychology research which was amazing!). Communication and culture sounds interesting - never heard of it! :L

Oooh they're all great uni's. I looked at UCL, but I hate London, and it was really academic so I felt a bit intimidated, they also really frown on re-sits and generally only take those who did exams in the first sitting but they do consider extenuating circumstances. so I got put off and didn't apply :L
Don't know anything about the others except Nottingham - you should blatantly go there if you get at least AAB (and B at GCSE maths), such a good uni :wink: not that I'm biased or anything....:P

No way! I did the extended project too! What did you do yours on? Mine was video games on aggressive behaviour. The teacher said I should be getting an A for that too :3 Comms is like media(ish) but which messages and stuff like that - it was awesome.

I love London, I would love to live there but it is intimidating. Haha, no of course you're not! Heh. I don't a B at GCSE though cus I messed them up quite hard,
Reply 14
No way! I did the extended project too! What did you do yours on? Mine was video games on aggressive behaviour. The teacher said I should be getting an A for that too :3 Comms is like media(ish) but which messages and stuff like that - it was awesome.

I love London, I would love to live there but it is intimidating. Haha, no of course you're not! Heh. I don't a B at GCSE though cus I messed them up quite hard,

Haha such a coincidence! I investigated whether having autistic traits (as assessed by the autistic-spectrum quotient) is associated with A-level choice i.e. whether scoring highly on the AQ suggests you're more likely to choose science and maths based A-levels. And I did get a significant result (p<0.0063) which I thought was pretty good! I should be getting an A for mine too :smile:
I did media psychology as part of my A-level which I thouht was quite interesting.

No, definitely not biased :wink: no harm in applying, they may not be so fussed that you don't have the GCSE but a lot of the top end uni's do specify it coz of the statistics component of the degree :/ but whether or not they'll reject you because of it I can't say - but hopefully it won't matter too much if you do choose adjustment *cough* nottingham is a great uni to do psychology *cough* :wink:
I saw that too, what a magical award that is! Oh no, the thought of taking a gap year scares me. I already wasted one year in a terrible sixth form centre, I couldn't lose out on another.

This is very hard.

It's a pretty awesome award really. :lol: Fair enough. I probably should've taken a gap year, I can't even legally drink until Christmas *yawn* but I was impatient, this four month summer is already boring me to death, a whole year of it would have sent me flying into a nearby lake. I can see why you wouldn't want to wait another year before going to uni. :smile:

Well, I hope you're happy no matter what decision you make :smile:, and if you pick UEA after all I'll probably see you in passing at some point and have no idea who you are. :tongue:
With UEA not being far from home. I also come from around Ipswich (though I live in Cambridgeshire now), a lot of my friends went to UEA and even the ones who were 'forced' there because they didn't get good enough grades to go to their first choice uni said they loved it and because of the way the uni is you don't even think about how far away from home you are. You're just in your own little UEA world. I'm going in September (hopefully) to study Nat Sci, I think you should go it is one of the up and coming uni's and I don't think that if you get a 1st from UEA it will be too much different from a 1st from Bath.
Original post by SuperCat007
With UEA not being far from home. I also come from around Ipswich (though I live in Cambridgeshire now), a lot of my friends went to UEA and even the ones who were 'forced' there because they didn't get good enough grades to go to their first choice uni said they loved it and because of the way the uni is you don't even think about how far away from home you are. You're just in your own little UEA world. I'm going in September (hopefully) to study Nat Sci, I think you should go it is one of the up and coming uni's and I don't think that if you get a 1st from UEA it will be too much different from a 1st from Bath.

Why should it be? They're both 60's universities and they're both in the 1994 group. Two research universities, they're not that much different really. Except that UEA is better. :wink: But I think going to UEA at the moment is good because like you say, it's an up-and-coming university and it's still trying to prove itself and make it's name known amongst the other universities, so there's a lot of drive there. :biggrin:
Agree with you 'aspirin'. I don't know where Bath has got it's good name from, maybe from Bristol being so close... who knows. But they're both ex poly-technics (sp?!) so there really isn't much difference apart from snobbish-ness
Original post by SuperCat007
Agree with you 'aspirin'. I don't know where Bath has got it's good name from, maybe from Bristol being so close... who knows. But they're both ex poly-technics (sp?!) so there really isn't much difference apart from snobbish-ness

Yeah, I see where you're coming from though, there is this preconceived idea that Bath is better. For pharmacy though, UEA's a fair bit above Bath. My dad had never heard of UEA before, he was like "It doesn't have a reputation!" It will, one day UEA shall conquer the world. :yep: Strange snobbishness there. I love Bath though, but I love UEA more. :love:

Quick Reply

Latest