The Student Room Group

School will not release breakdown of IB exam result

My daughter has just got her IB result and she's one point off her firm offer. She therefore contacted her school to find out her actual score of each subject with a view to possible remark. However the IBC came back and said that the scores are confidential and cannot be released! Before I write a very rude email to them, I just want to ask if any other school has the same policy.
Our school gave us our breakdowns as soon as we asked for them... it seems a bit ridiculous that the school would withhold them, surely they want their students to have a better chance of getting into uni?

Some advice I have though is for your daughter to contact her teachers who might know/ have access to the breakdowns, as they might want to help her. Otherwise if the IBC doesn't budge, they dont actually have that much power within the school so you could go over them and ring the head teacher? Sounds a bit petty but worth it if it works.

Good luck to your daughter, I hope everything gets sorted out :smile:
Reply 2
Our school only reveals the breakdown of your IB results if you've missed your offer for the insurance university. Probably your daughter’s school shares a similar view that there's no point in taking unnecessary risks in remarks (since ones results can be marked down and you have to stick with the remarks) if she has met the requirements for her insurance university.

Would your daughter mind going to her insurance university?

P.S. I don't think writing a rude email to the IBC/school will help your situation since it would most likely only end up antagonising the people you're trying to get information from.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Heeck
Our school only reveals the breakdown of your IB results if you've missed your offer for the insurance university. Probably your daughter’s school shares a similar view that there's no point in taking unnecessary risks in remarks (since ones results can be marked down and you have to stick with the remarks) if she has met the requirements for her insurance university.

Would your daughter mind going to her insurance university?

P.S. I don't think writing a rude email to the IBC/school will help your situation since it would most likely only end up antagonising the people you're trying to get information from.

I don't see why knowing the breakdown would be an 'unnecessary risk in remarks'; surely it would be the pupil that pays anyway and therefore the school doesn't lose out?
Original post by Parkview
My daughter has just got her IB result and she's one point off her firm offer. She therefore contacted her school to find out her actual score of each subject with a view to possible remark. However the IBC came back and said that the scores are confidential and cannot be released! Before I write a very rude email to them, I just want to ask if any other school has the same policy.

I dont know how to help, but i know for a fact that they are allowed to send the breakdown with the grade boundaries once they receive them (which is sometime this week). Moreover, in our school the IBC recommended us to first us for the breakdown with grade boundaries, so that you ask for a remark if you are leaning towards a higher mark rather than a lower one, because grades can move down after a remark. My breakdown did not come yet, but i know some kids from other schools who already received theirs.
Reply 5
Original post by Harve
I don't see why knowing the breakdown would be an 'unnecessary risk in remarks'; surely it would be the pupil that pays anyway and therefore the school doesn't lose out?

It would look bad if the student got a remark and got marked down, possibly resulting in the student not getting into their insurance university. In short it's not in the school's interests for a student to risk a remark unless they didn't get into either university.
Reply 6
My schools average is 32 and are the 5th best school in the UK to teach IB. Most students get 30-40 points. My school does a breakdown on the day off the results, in order to see who needs to take any retakes. It helps having a head of IB.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Hello!

I got my scores from each exam in all of my subjects from my Ib coordinator when I asked.

So ask again and you may get them from your daughter as well !

Look at the IB website and see what it says, if it is allowed for coordinators to give out extra information about your daughters grades you could tell the coordinator this !

Good Luck !
Reply 8
Thank you all. We have managed (after a few very restrained e-mail) to extract the information from the school. Just as well as it turned out that 4 of her subjects were 1 and 2 % off the next grade. So we have now requested remark on all 4. Will be keeping our fingers and toes crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending