The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A stereotype is that Northerners all hate Margaret Thatcher and blame her for unemployment.

Although I am from the Midlands. Do you think the midlands are 'northern' or 'southern' by the way - I feel like we are forgotten haha.
Original post by Borderline
A stereotype is that Northerners all hate Margaret Thatcher and blame her for unemployment.

Haha, I was about to say this. Everyone from uni was like this! Also that they love gravy on everything or chips with everything. Stubborn. Friendlier than Southerners. Love Greggs and pastries. Don't like to splurge.

I'm Southern but went to a Northern uni and have a Northern boyfriend so like to think I have noticed a few things :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm Midlands, but I've always thought of Northerners as being slightly cooler and easy-going than Southerners in regards to their demeanour and lifestyle.
They drink, an unholy amount of alcohol.
Reply 5
Northern birds.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
Reply 6
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
Haha, I was about to say this. Everyone from uni was like this! Also that they love gravy on everything or chips with everything. Stubborn. Friendlier than Southerners. Love Greggs and pastries. Don't like to splurge.

I'm Southern but went to a Northern uni and have a Northern boyfriend so like to think I have noticed a few things :tongue:

I'm from Manchester, I think the chips bit is partly true (I don't really like chips or other people in my family but when I see other people, it's a regular thing) Also when i visited south (Newquay) they were FAR more friendlier then up north in manchester, the shops, people etc were nice and polite and were talkative which was good:biggrin:
Reply 7
Wow I completely forgot I made this thread, dayum.
Reply 8
Original post by Borderline

Although I am from the Midlands. Do you think the midlands are 'northern' or 'southern' by the way - I feel like we are forgotten haha.

I find its a mixed bag, opinion is very polarised about Thatcher, my Grandparents and both working class, my Grandad was even a miner, they were dirt poor at one point, my Mum was fed only Jam And Bread for a number of years, grandma had 3 jobs going. But they love thatcher and think she did a lot of Good, the my Grandad did seem to have a personal vendetta against Scargill and the whole miner ethos.

On the other hand, the rest of my family who are above 40 seem to be Anti-Tory, or more specifically anti-thather and anti-cameron but not necassarily tory-haters, and they dislike Brown and Blair just as much.

My friend are exactly the same, polarised.
Reply 9
Original post by Chapeau Rouge

Also that they love gravy on everything or chips with everything. Stubborn. Friendlier than Southerners. Love Greggs and pastries. Don't like to splurge.

I personally prefer Curry + Chips. All my friends and everyone I know are massive curry-fans, most of West Yorkshire is really, curry has replaced fish and chips and pastries, which are more popular in the south and N.E.

Friendlier, yes. You can nod to anyone on the street and you will get a nod or "hello", "orite?" back, my first expirience of the south was saying morning to someone walking past and them giving me this weird look like I'm some stalker.
Reply 10
Original post by userna-me*
They drink, an unholy amount of alcohol.

On the coasts and in villages. Towns and cities are supprisingly "drunk-clubber" free, imo.
[video="youtube;JEAPVTOPFHs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEAPVTOPFHs[/video]
Reply 12
They all loooove football to the extent that their life's worth depends on it. They also love Oasis.
Reply 13
Can't think of any stereotypes for t'north off of the top of my head
Reply 15
Original post by Blazinq
I'm from Manchester, I think the chips bit is partly true (I don't really like chips or other people in my family but when I see other people, it's a regular thing) Also when i visited south (Newquay) they were FAR more friendlier then up north in manchester, the shops, people etc were nice and polite and were talkative which was good:biggrin:

You don't like your family?! :eek:
Reply 16
Whenever i hear my friends think of northeners they seem to think of larger than averege people who drink like its going out of fashion :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Reply 18
Original post by prog2djent
Southeners: Give me some stereotypes about the North.

And I will try and confirm or deny. :h:

That it's grim.
Reply 19
Original post by prog2djent
On the coasts and in villages. Towns and cities are supprisingly "drunk-clubber" free, imo.

Really? God you need to come to Wigan haha.