The Student Room Group

Pets at Uni - has anyone managed?

Just wondering if anyone has managed to keep pets at uni in halls, i've never lived a day of my life without a pet so it'll be a weird change for me, was just wondering if anyone had managed to have a pet in uni accomodation :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd really like to know this too!! I love animals and pets, I'm not sure how I'd survive a few years without them!xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Haha well we'll have to hope someone replies then!! :smile: x
Reply 3
Most dorms don't allow pets. But you might be able to smuggle in a small rodent or fish. I wonder how you'd be able to smuggle in a tank or a cage though... :confused:
Reply 4
No chance if you stay in halls with anything bigger than a hamster.
Reply 5
So possibly a mouse or a hamster? In a small cage (not cruelly small, but my last mice had a HUGE cage) :P Also, when they do 'checks' or 'inspections', are they allowed to go in your wardrobe? My friend kept lemmings in her wardrobe in a cage :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AnnaW123
So possibly a mouse or a hamster? In a small cage (not cruelly small, but my last mice had a HUGE cage) :P Also, when they do 'checks' or 'inspections', are they allowed to go in your wardrobe? My friend kept lemmings in her wardrobe in a cage :smile:

Yes, they can go anywhere.
In my halls last year I kept 3 snakes (Royal Python, Mexican Black Kingsnake and a baby Boa Constrictor) and a Crested Gecko.

Each were kept in appropriately sized black plastic tubs with internal lighting - at first I kept them hidden from view but half way through the year when it was clear there wasn't going to be any inspections or anything I started becoming a bit more relaxed with it, but it depends on the uni.

Depending on the species of snake then can be kept in Really Useful Boxes and easily hidden so snakes and geckos are a good choice!
Reply 8
Oh wow that's really cool! Thanks for the reply, a gecko might be just the ticket then!
Reply 9
what about a tortoise?

who would neg that^ , I actually have a tortoise!
(edited 11 years ago)
I know someone who kept a pet rat in their wardrobe at their halls the whole time they were there and they obviously never got found out :smile: you'd have to be careful who you told, if anyone, because someone may 'rat' you out (see what I did there? :biggrin:)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
i dont know what theyd do if you got caught with a pet though :/
Reply 12
Unis aren't usually allowed to look in wardrobes and drawers (hid my non-PAT tested electronics in there) but it might be a bit mean to keep a pet in the dark.

I know someone who had a hamster, she kept it in her friends car on the days inspections were on but after she got bored of it she left it in there and it wasn't remembered til the next day! She didn't want it back so it was passed onto someone in another flat, poor thing got a better owner.
I think one thing to keep in mind is one of the reasons they don't allow people to keep pets in halls is incase other people are allergic.
Reply 14
I had a dog ( a beautiful puppy named richie). I was so sad knowing that I have to leave him when I go to uni. But he died this year. He was only 4 years old . I'm so sad but I have to face it.
Reply 15
Original post by AnnaW123
Oh wow that's really cool! Thanks for the reply, a gecko might be just the ticket then!

Just gonna say that geckos are not the easiest of pets to look after especially if it's going to be in halls. Also they eat live insects so you'd have to keep a supply of mealworms/crickets in your room... You'd have to do tonnes of research on Gecko care beforehand too. :biggrin:
Reply 16
I haven't lived in halls, but thought this may help people contemplating taking pets to uni; my younger sister had to have her dorm done regularly by the cleaners. I think the maximum you were allowed to not have your room cleaned for was 2 weeks. Maybe not all uni's clean the dorms but if yours does I can't see how you can possibly keep a pet quiet/ out the room with regular cleaners coming in.
Reply 17
@ Richee - Really sorry to hear that, my house rabbit of 8 years died this year and i still havent accepted it!
I think you get a warning and are told to get rid of it if you're caught with a pet, the uni i'm going to dont have cleaners for our rooms just inspections every now and again to check we havent trashed the place :smile: a tortoise would be cute!!!!!
Original post by EckoGecko
Just gonna say that geckos are not the easiest of pets to look after especially if it's going to be in halls. Also they eat live insects so you'd have to keep a supply of mealworms/crickets in your room... You'd have to do tonnes of research on Gecko care beforehand too. :biggrin:

Crested Geckos only eat a powdered fruit diet (a bag costs £10 and last over a year). Also, they can be kept in appropriately sized tubs and require no heating or insects, so are super cheap to keep.
Reply 19
First year I got away with a snake and 25 stick insects (3 different species) and a Mantis. Second year I got away with 15 stick insects and 4 snakes.

Trick is, never to tell anyone - Make sure during lectures they are possibly in a hiding place depending how paranoid you are, avoid getting an animal which smells or makes too much noise (hamster/rat/rabbit) and again, don't tell anyone and keep your ear out for any surprise room checks.

IMHO - Snakes or stick insects (inc. Mantis) are the easest to keep while at uni as they make no sound, they don't smell. They're also cheap: stick insects - most eat bramble, snakes - mice/rats once a week, mantis - live food (locusts) every 3-4 days and your sorted. (If you go the mantid route avoid crickets as they cherp!). Sea Monkeys are an easy choice as well!

Good luck and don't tell anyone - you should be alright! :biggrin:

----------------

Original post by chill543
i dont know what theyd do if you got caught with a pet though :/

You get a stern talking too and a warning.... generally a fine (well at my uni) and another *******ing from the wardens. But there isn't anything to worry about IMO.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest