The Student Room Group

What is your opinion of teenage pregnancy?

Ok, so recently I've been hearing a lot of young teenage girls getting pregnant and from what I've heard a lot of people find it quite unacceptable when in schools sex education is taught which teaches young teenagers about protected sex.

Do you think young teenagers are just curious despite the knowledge in which they now know about unprotected sex?

I think a lot of people have various views on this and again, I only want to bring out interesting discussions.

So what is your opinion? (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

It depends, some teen mums are good mums. It's just the idiots who have unprotected sex, and are clueless about how to raise children properly. That is when I disagree with teen pregnancy!
Reply 2
It's completely down to the young mother. I doubt that many teenage pregnancies are planned but there are young mothers who are very capable. However, If she still wants to go out and party and not properly care for the child then obviously she wasn't ready and, in some cases, isn't fit to care for the child. Some young mothers are very maternal and willing to give up their current lifestyle to care for the child, but I feel that a major factor is whether the mother has a support network around her. She's more likely to be a good mum if she has the support that, like all of us, she needs.
Reply 3
Original post by Daniel George
It depends, some teen mums are good mums. It's just the idiots who have unprotected sex, and are clueless about how to raise children properly. That is when I disagree with teen pregnancy!

Yeah, some teen mums are great and it must be incredibly difficult to raise a kid when you are practically a kid at heart.

But do you think that young teenagers these days are just curious and care free despite the education of unprotected sex and responsibilities of parenthood that is taught in schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by JustAGuyy
It's completely down to the young mother. I doubt that many teenage pregnancies are planned but there are young mothers who are very capable. However, If she still wants to go out and party and not properly care for the child then obviously she wasn't ready and, in some cases, isn't fit to care for the child. Some young mothers are very maternal and willing to give up their current lifestyle to care for the child, but I feel that a major factor is whether the mother has a support network around her. She's more likely to be a good mum if she has the support that, like all of us, she needs.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with everything you've said. I've seen lots f young mothers who are doing a great job but again, do you think in recent times because of the fact that sex has become more open that young teenagers are inclined to be sexually active despite the knowledge of unprotected sex being taught in schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I went to highschool with this girl who I saw last week was preggers and pushing a pram...... She was always a slag....
I think teen mums are really stigmatised by society.

Obviously there is no real excuse for getting pregnant in this day and age of contraception, but these things happen and from the teen mums I've met, they make the best of it.

A girl from my school who left after GCSE got pregnant when she was 18. She got abuse shouted at her on the street from total strangers.
She attends college and also works part time even though she only earns £14 more a week than she could make taking benefits, and she absolutely adores her wee girl.

I understand not all teen mums are like this, but it is never acceptable to shout abuse at someone in the street because they're a young mum.
It shouts 'irresponsible' to me. That child, statistics show, is far more likely to live a life of poverty compared to other children.
Reply 8
Original post by Popppppy
I think teen mums are really stigmatised by society.

Obviously there is no real excuse for getting pregnant in this day and age of contraception, but these things happen and from the teen mums I've met, they make the best of it.

A girl from my school who left after GCSE got pregnant when she was 18. She got abuse shouted at her on the street from total strangers.
She attends college and also works part time even though she only earns £14 more a week than she could make taking benefits, and she absolutely adores her wee girl.

I understand not all teen mums are like this, but it is never acceptable to shout abuse at someone in the street because they're a young mum.

Yeah, you are right. There isn't an excuse for getting pregnant in this day and age as you said but I think it's incredibly hard for a young person to go through such a life changing process at a tender age especially when they are on their own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Makebelieve15
It shouts 'irresponsible' to me. That child, statistics show, is far more likely to live a life of poverty compared to other children.

It does shout irresponsible especially when so much education is provided than ever. Is it because of the increase number of curious teenagers engaging in sexual activities unprotected despite all the education? Or is it because of something else or just pure irresponsible behaviour?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My Mum had me when she was a month away from her nineteenth birthday. She was certainly not a slag or a chav. My father and her had been in a relationship for a few years, and both had steady careers. My Mum didn't even know she was pregnant with me until her third trimester. It came as a massive shock as she really wasn't that sort of girl. Nonetheless, despite having me she managed to have an excellent career in the city until she had my brother and sister in her mid thirties and, although we don't always see eye to eye, I get on very well with her.

People were prejudice and called her all sorts at my little village primary school (just because she was a young Mum and yet she had a better career than all of the other mother's there and because of her I got to experience so much culture as a child (she took me to Paris, trips to museums and theatres in London, taught me how to speak basic Spanish, taught me all about Picasso, Da Vinci, Matisse ...none of my other friends got to experience that!). It was ridiculous really. I hate the stereotype that young Mum's are jobless chavs who don't look after their kids. My Mum worked all the way through my childhood and at a hard and demanding job at that. She has never once claimed benefits and I never went without anything. My parents split up when I was 3 as well, so its not as if she did everything with my Dad by my side as well. She was even willing to pay for me to go to Private school at one point when we nearly moved to London.

My Mum certainly did not and does not live up to the young Mum stereotype. I do, however, know a lot of Mothers that do. However, I also know a lot of OLDER Mothers who live up to it as well. At the end of the day, my Mum was just very mature whereas a lot of teenage girls aren't but some are. I think young Mums can be just as good as older mums, however, we see a lot of them that aren't adequate because unfortunately, unlike my own Mum, they haven't quite reached that level of maturity yet.
I think it's foolish.

I think having children at all is a pretty poor decision, but it's especially foolish if you're a teenager. There are so many other things that you really ought to be doing at that age - setting up the foundations of the rest of your life, including your career - that to interrupt that by having a child seems incredibly silly.
Original post by IsthatmaryX
It does shout irresponsible especially when so much education is provided than ever. Is it because of the increase number of curious teenagers engaging in sexual activities unprotected despite all the education? Or is it because of something else or just pure irresponsible behaviour?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think it's more the latter to be honest. I think most know the consequences of a fertilised egg and all that but I believe many just want a baby because they are lulled into a false sense of security that they have 'found the man of their dreams and will be with him forever'. When in reality, they're both young and the lady is often short sighted and the man is the one who doesn't have any responsibility when things go wrong in their relationship.

I believe the welfare system can be blamed, whereby it can often encourage young, poor, uneducated ladies to have babies so as to get a council house and all the state related benefits related to being poor and having a baby at the same time. This needs to be rectified, however it is a very tetchy subject. I, however, do not believe most pregnant teenage mothers embark on such an exploitative agenda, however.

Poor girls are much more likely to get pregnant than their better off counterparts and this creates a cycle of poverty. Perhaps the fact that they have, most of time, had an unfulfilled upbringing, they believe with motherhood, they can provide a better life for their child, when in reality, this is rarely the case.
It's a pretty ****ty situation to end up in but I guess you just have to suck it up. Some girls are great mothers, some are shocking. It just depends on the person. To be honest, in this day and age contraception is so readily available that getting pregnant when you don't want to be is pretty difficult.

The issue would be reduced if sex education in schools was vaguely adequate. Mine consisted of an explanation of how sex worked, why you should use a condom and where the nearest sexual health clinic was. I really could have done with some good, hard facts that just spelled it all out for me in black and white. Sex education is too vague and drawn out, teach the important stuff and scrap the 40 year old teenage pregnancy videos.
Teenage pregnancy = Children having children.
Reply 15
Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak
My Mum had me when she was a month away from her nineteenth birthday. She was certainly not a slag or a chav. My father and her had been in a relationship for a few years, and both had steady careers. My Mum didn't even know she was pregnant with me until her third trimester. It came as a massive shock as she really wasn't that sort of girl. Nonetheless, despite having me she managed to have an excellent career in the city until she had my brother and sister in her mid thirties and, although we don't always see eye to eye, I get on very well with her.

People were prejudice and called her all sorts at my little village primary school (just because she was a young Mum and yet she had a better career than all of the other mother's there and because of her I got to experience so much culture as a child (she took me to Paris, trips to museums and theatres in London, taught me how to speak basic Spanish, taught me all about Picasso, Da Vinci, Matisse ...none of my other friends got to experience that!). It was ridiculous really. I hate the stereotype that young Mum's are jobless chavs who don't look after their kids. My Mum worked all the way through my childhood and at a hard and demanding job at that. She has never once claimed benefits and I never went without anything. My parents split up when I was 3 as well, so its not as if she did everything with my Dad by my side as well. She was even willing to pay for me to go to Private school at one point when we nearly moved to London.

My Mum certainly did not and does not live up to the young Mum stereotype. I do, however, know a lot of Mothers that do. However, I also know a lot of OLDER Mothers who live up to it as well. At the end of the day, my Mum was just very mature whereas a lot of teenage girls aren't but some are. I think young Mums can be just as good as older mums, however, we see a lot of them that aren't adequate because unfortunately, unlike my own Mum, they haven't quite reached that level of maturity yet.

Ahh your mum sounds like she did an excellent job and i admire that. 18 years old and having a kid in my opinion isn't as worrying as 14.

I think when mothers are that young it can be very difficult on the child and the mother. And that's probably the main issues some people have on teenage pregnancy when teenagers at that age are pregnant. But equally they can surprise anyone like your mother who had a great career than seemed to take you and her places.

Just wanted to know what people thought of teenage pregnancy in terms of people under 16 years old. Is that a worry in an age that education is provided and responsibility of a child is greatly emphasised? Of course pregnancy isn't always planned and can happen even with protection but many parents don't know their child is sexually active around 13 and 14.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I also believe that it depends, there are some girls who have teen pregnancies and leave it to there own mother's to take care of their child, which I believe to be unacceptable, because she made that child.

However there are some amazing teenage mums out there that put there all into raising what they made, even if their boyfriend leaves them to do it by themselves, and I have to admit the girls that can get through that I really respect.

I can't even begin to imagine how scary it would be to get pregnant at this age and know that it could really change the future you may have had planned for yourself, so to the girls who go through with with the consequences to their actions and put there all into it in my opinion are truly amazing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
My mum had me aged 19, so while she wasn't as young as some she was still a teenager. Her and my dad had been together for years at that point and are still together now, so that shows me that young parents can do a good job raising a kid. Plus I think I turned out alright!
Reply 18
Original post by Makebelieve15
Think it's more the latter to be honest. I think most know the consequences of a fertilised egg and all that but I believe many just want a baby because they are lulled into a false sense of security that they have 'found the man of their dreams and will be with him forever'. When in reality, they're both young and the lady is often short sighted and the man is the one who doesn't have any responsibility when things go wrong in their relationship.

I believe the welfare system can be blamed, whereby it can often encourage young, poor, uneducated ladies to have babies so as to get a council house and all the state related benefits related to being poor and having a baby at the same time. This needs to be rectified, however it is a very tetchy subject. I, however, do not believe most pregnant teenage mothers embark on such an exploitative agenda, however.

Poor girls are much more likely to get pregnant than their better off counterparts and this creates a cycle of poverty. Perhaps the fact that they have, most of time, had an unfulfilled upbringing, they believe with motherhood, they can provide a better life for their child, when in reality, this is rarely the case.

This is a very good point and I think that young girls are naive to think their relationships will last forever and this can create further problems when they are pregnant.

Statistically, you are right poorer girls are likely to be pregnant and then their well off counterparts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally think they're at the age where they start becoming more and more responsible for themselves and they can freely choose on their own knowing the consequences, if they choose to take the risk then they are going to have to face the consequences IMO.

Latest