The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Brown Eyes Angel
do colleges have a prom? I no my 6th form does, does anyone elses 6th form have proms to?

We had a sixth form leavers' ball. No idea about colleges though.
Reply 21

My schools st catherines college.......i think the only difference between them is that our school goes frm like the ages of 11-19 and a sixth form college only has sixth form. Our school is probably more disciplined cause were not allowed to leave the school during frees we have to go to study but that way you do more work.

kiki
do colleges have a prom? I no my 6th form does, does anyone elses 6th form have proms to?

Yeah we had one. It was brilliant esp because we hav all known each other from 1st year. We also had a leavers day....it ws really sad lol :frown:
It depends on the institution. My sixth form was attached to a school but it was called a sixth form college and didn't really have much to do with the rest of the school, for example we never went to assemblies with them and didn't have to wear uniform like them and things. And we called it college, not school. So it depends on where you go.
college is crap - 6th form college isn't as crap
Reply 24
A sixth form college will probably be much better for you.
Reply 25
It's funny that my sixth form (attatched to school) has a realy strict uniform, yet we can still do what we want/ wander off site during frees.
Reply 26
hermaphrodite
college is crap - 6th form college isn't as crap
Excuse me? The Academy (the 6th form) at my college rivals and beats many sixth form school colleges academically in London.

Admittedly I believe that sixth forms more leaver parties than colleges, but mine differs. The students at my college sit on the leaver party committee and arrange one for the 2nd years. I am currently chair of it for my year:wink:

Pick one that best suits your preferences, in my view and everyone i have spoke to they prefer college for varying reasons. Number one reason is the greater degree of freedom and choice.

My reason includes the above, but also I wanted to meet new people.
Reply 27
There isn't a major difference between the two. I went to a Sixth Form College; it wasn't attached to a school and we didn't have to wear a uniform. The college I attended was specifically for 16 to 19 year-olds, although I'm sure it did offer some adult courses as well.
Reply 28
This isn't really true but i have noticed a trend in that "sixth form's" are generally more disciplined compared with colleges. Also in colleges there are often alot more adults (18+) because colleges offer a wider range of courses.

I go to a sixth form which is part of an High School. I have to wear uniform, school finished at 3.30 for me just like schools and we are kinda of disciplined in that we can sometimes get detentions for not doing homework etc. We also have "Parents Evenings" just like high school ones but more complex which not all college/sixth form students have.

Some nearby colleges to me have no uniform and the students can answer mobile phones in class and even leave the class if they wish to, although it will be noted that student has left the class.

My sixth form has students between the ages of 16-19 however the 19 year olds are normally second year students who are resiting a year. However my sixth form doesn't actually accept 18/19 directly, all the 18/19 started out at 16 and are probaly resiting or taking up more subjects.
Reply 29
Erzan
Excuse me? The Academy (the 6th form) at my college rivals and beats many sixth form school colleges academically in London.

Admittedly I believe that sixth forms more leaver parties than colleges, but mine differs. The students at my college sit on the leaver party committee and arrange one for the 2nd years. I am currently chair of it for my year:wink:

Pick one that best suits your preferences, in my view and everyone i have spoke to they prefer college for varying reasons. Number one reason is the greater degree of freedom and choice.

My reason includes the above, but also I wanted to meet new people.

LOL, what a coincidence, uxbridge college is the college i'm going to next year. :biggrin:
College offers a wider variety of qualifications. In Sixth Form you just get A Levels. At College you get BTEC National Diplomas, foundation courses, HNDs among others. And i personally think college is better than sixth form. I went to both, and enjoyed college more than sixth form!
Reply 31
hermaphrodite
who cares. college is c - r- a- p anyway

why?
Reply 32
x.Crystal.x
College offers a wider variety of qualifications. In Sixth Form you just get A Levels. At College you get BTEC National Diplomas, foundation courses, HNDs among others. And i personally think college is better than sixth form. I went to both, and enjoyed college more than sixth form!

hmmm. That's not right cos I went to a 6th form college and we had WAYYY more options than just A-levels.
No idea why it was a "sixth form" though.
No school attachment, no uniform, we left whenever we wanted.... all I can think of is daytime age restrictions? Everyone seemed to be 16-19/20.
Both are usually totally seperate from any schools, however a 6th form college often has competitive entry- i.e. they look seriously at your predicted grades & not everyone who applies gets in, usually an interview forms part of the selection process. They offer mainly A-Levels & Btecs. FE colleges on the other hand usually let in anyone who applies as they offer a range of courses for people with varying levels of academic achievement. FE colleges are usually much larger than 6th form colleges.
Reply 34
Sixth Form College = Stands by itself and is not attached to a school or anything, mostly offers A levels and maybe a couple of BTEC courses. Mostly ages 16, 17 & 18.

Sixth Form = Attached to a school any offers A levels and some BTEC courses. Mostly ages 16, 17 & 18.

College = Offers vocational course to ALL ages groups.

Thats my understanding of it anyways :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending