The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh dear, i'm trying to install ubuntu for mine atm (and failing) :frown:

Sorry, I don't know lol
Reply 2
Ubuntu isn't an operating system, Linux is. Ubuntu is just a distribution of the latter, a flavour of Linux if you like.

If you still want to avoid Windows, you could try openSUSE or Fedora. Though if Ubuntu failed to recognise your wifi card I can't see much else detecting it straight away, Ubuntu was always the best at that sort of thing.
Reply 3
The best thing for the acer aspire one is a hammer.

I use Ubuntu Netbook Remix with George, and that makes him useable. But he's still not as good as an EEE
Reply 4
Juno

I use Ubuntu Netbook Remix with George, and that makes him useable. But he's still not as good as an EEE

I've not heard many shining recommendations for that netbook, it has to be said. Chances are it's using some cheapo wireless chip in it that hardly anything recognises. >.>
Reply 5
Dez
I've not heard many shining recommendations for that netbook, it has to be said. Chances are it's using some cheapo wireless chip in it that hardly anything recognises. >.>

Which netbook? If acer aspire one, i can understand why. tis rubbish!

if EEE, you're crazy. EEE is lovely.
Reply 6
Oh, no complaints about the EEE. Well, except perhaps its price. Wanting a netbook and living on a student budget are not good bedfellows. :frown:
Reply 7
Dez
Oh, no complaints about the EEE. Well, except perhaps its price. Wanting a netbook and living on a student budget are not good bedfellows. :frown:

That's why I ended up with George! He was £117.
Reply 8
I have a dual boot set up with Windows Xp/Kubuntu distro on my Acer Aspire. The wireless took quite a bit to get connected though. Both OS's run awesomely.
OS X if you swap out the wireless card for an Apple Airport one
Or
Windows 7 by miles

Have a look over at aspireoneuser.com/forum
I'm a mod there, theres loads of great guides for whatever you choose, and will probably find ubuntu drivers for the wireless too
Reply 10
WoWZa
I have a dual boot set up with Windows Xp/Kubuntu distro on my Acer Aspire. The wireless took quite a bit to get connected though. Both OS's run awesomely.

how did u get the wireless working?
Reply 11
jamienight60
how did u get the wireless working?

Google and IRC. w00t.
Juno

I ******* agree, sold it on ebay after a month :grin:
I'd suggest trying Fedora, I checked on a hunch (the official Aspire One distro is based on Fedora) and the wiki says that everything aside from CPU sensors and possibly the webcam weren't working in Fedora 11.
jamienight60
Im currently running Linux Linpus Lite on my Acer Aspire One, i want a change of operating system, ive tried Ubuntu but my wireless card didnt work with it :frown:

What are the next best operating systems?

Thanks in advance!

I had similar problems... Luckily mine broke and I was able to get away from the demonic piece of equipment known as the acer aspire.
Reply 15
Win7 Would be nice for it
Why all the hate? Mine runs perfectly.
What version of ububntu have you all tried? The latest version recognised the wifi card without me doing anything. All I had to do to get online was type in my WPA key.
The only issues I have is that the the RAM being limited to 1.5GB, and the battery life. The RAM isn't a big deal though as what I use if for doesn't really need more than 1.5GB, and I'm getting a better battery sometime over the summer.

As for the OS, I'm dual booting ubuntu and Windows 7.
I don't understand all of the criticism regarding the Acer One.

I run windows Vista on mine (which is generally considered to be a pig of an OS) and, with most of the cumbersome settings turned off, it runs perfectly fine.

In fact, I now use my Aspire One as my main computer and have passed my MacBook Pro (Seceond Gen) on to my daughter.

I use office, firefox, have thunderbird constantly running, edit photo's, some activities of a dubious legality (utilising TPB) and have no problems playing older games like baldurs gate.

Also, the wireless on this is pretty savage and finds wireless connections beyond the range fo my girlfriends PB Laptop and my daughters MacBook Pro. Incidently the MacBook Pro has intermittent connection problems with our BT HomeHub and my girlfriends PB Latptop won't resume wireless after sleeping. My acer one has none of these problems.

You can swap the HD for a larger one, 1.5 GB ram is plenty for a lot of tasks, the camera is fine, the screen is really clear (in all light sources I have tried) and the connectivity, as noted, is spot on.

The only complaint I have is regarding the speakers, which are absolute crap. But I can live without these.

I also quite like that the external DVD burner I bought, for occasinal use, is twice the size and weight of the laptop.

I would like to try Win7 on it, but since there are no problems so far I'll leave it as is.

I have been playing with, building, breaking and fixing computers for the last en years. This laptop is the only computer I have had that has lasted over three months without needing the OS re-installed.
Reply 18
Dez

You need to find a bargain. I bought my EEE way back in 2007 when they were new out, and I found mine in Toys R Us for £215. I run Ubuntu, and with that you have to be prepared and know where to get the patches and get it all to work. Even now my webcam still won't work though.

My EEE (being an early one) only has a 7" screen though, so next on my list is a 10" SSD, Linux netbook, perhaps a Samsung, Lenovo or Acer Aspire. I don't like the design direction of the EEE line or the dilution of the brand into mini laptops (in defiance of the original light, portable, cheap netbook idea). Although if it is difficult to get Ubuntu on the Acer that would be a deal breaker.
WelshBluebird
Why all the hate? Mine runs perfectly.
What version of ububntu have you all tried? The latest version recognised the wifi card without me doing anything. All I had to do to get online was type in my WPA key.
The only issues I have is that the the RAM being limited to 1.5GB, and the battery life. The RAM isn't a big deal though as what I use if for doesn't really need more than 1.5GB, and I'm getting a better battery sometime over the summer.

As for the OS, I'm dual booting ubuntu and Windows 7.

Mine is ****** through hacking it to bits, so I have a 9 cell to sell if you want. £40 is all I ask, lasts a good 7 hours. And pertfect condition, cost me £60 0ff ebay!

Latest