The Student Room Group

Thermals

I'm looking for a long sleeved thermal top, which looks like this but is a thermal material..I've checked M&S but apparently they come up really short which could be an issue since I'm 5 ft 8..I've also tried Debenhams, but they're not ribbed and just look like something you wear to sleep..

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks..
Reply 1
Primark.
Reply 2
Original post by Hooovan*
I'm looking for a long sleeved thermal top, which looks like this but is a thermal material..I've checked M&S but apparently they come up really short which could be an issue since I'm 5 ft 8..I've also tried Debenhams, but they're not ribbed and just look like something you wear to sleep..

Ribbed for your pleasure?
why looks like that?

thermals are very technical items of clothing. tell us what you need it for and we'll be able to advise you on what to get, looks are definitely a secondary concern
Reply 4
For sleeping? A set of cheap thermals from an outdoor shop would be fine to put under your pjs tbf.

If it's for anything other than just sleeping in your comfy bed at home though, a bit more detail would help us come up with some more concrete advice :smile:
Reply 5
If you buy the M&S ones you can try them on at home and take them back if they don't fit, that's what we did :h:

And in terms of looking like something you wear to bed, you're supposed to wear them under your regular clothes and aren't supposed to be on show anyway.
Reply 6
ribs are a bit different tho... http://www.damart.co.uk/silk-crew-neck-p-O324.html

probably the shops have already cleared out the thermal gear, couldn't find any when I needed it this year.
Reply 7
Original post by Arcanine
Primark.

I'll try Primark, thanks!

Original post by Jingers
Ribbed for your pleasure?

Didn't see that coming :rolleyes:

Original post by DarkWhite
For sleeping? A set of cheap thermals from an outdoor shop would be fine to put under your pjs tbf.

If it's for anything other than just sleeping in your comfy bed at home though, a bit more detail would help us come up with some more concrete advice :smile:

Not for sleeping, for wearing outside because the cold really gets to me! Ideally, I'd like to be able to wear thermals without layering, which is why the way they look is important..I'm not sure whether what I'm looking for actually exists though hehe.

Original post by Mm_Minty
If you buy the M&S ones you can try them on at home and take them back if they don't fit, that's what we did :h:

And in terms of looking like something you wear to bed, you're supposed to wear them under your regular clothes and aren't supposed to be on show anyway.

I suppose I could do that, but I'm pretty sure that they'll be too short, since quite a few people have complained in the reviews..I will probably just buy a normal pair which can be worn underneath clothes..

Thanks for all the help!:cute:
Reply 8

Lala http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion-to-buy-online/3-for-2-nightwear/thermal%20long%20slv%20top%20black/8021

there might be others around the site.. just saw that and thought it'd do. :smile:
Reply 9

I suppose I could do that, but I'm pretty sure that they'll be too short, since quite a few people have complained in the reviews..I will probably just buy a normal pair which can be worn underneath clothes..

That's odd, I have a thermal vest from there (:teehee:) and it's always been long enough to tuck into trousers or whatever. And I usually have the problem of buying tops that fit fine but leave a fair bit of midriff on show (I think I have an abnormally long torso...). Perhaps they make the long sleeve ones shorter in length...

Anyway, if you shop for them in-store just take them out of the packet and check them, that's what everyone else does :smile:
Reply 10
Just go into a shop and show them that you can write with both hands and they'll be so amazed they'll custom order you some.
Reply 11
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
Lala http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion-to-buy-online/3-for-2-nightwear/thermal%20long%20slv%20top%20black/8021

there might be others around the site.. just saw that and thought it'd do. :smile:

Thank you :smile: They're pretty cheap too, I'll definitely check them out!

Original post by Mm_Minty
That's odd, I have a thermal vest from there (:teehee:) and it's always been long enough to tuck into trousers or whatever. And I usually have the problem of buying tops that fit fine but leave a fair bit of midriff on show (I think I have an abnormally long torso...). Perhaps they make the long sleeve ones shorter in length...

Anyway, if you shop for them in-store just take them out of the packet and check them, that's what everyone else does :smile:

haha I have the same problem! My torso is really long..if it fit you, it should fit me too, so I think I will go and have a look! Thanks :smile:

Original post by davidmarsh01
Just go into a shop and show them that you can write with both hands and they'll be so amazed they'll custom order you some.

I doubt they'll be that amazed but I'll give it a shot :tongue:
Try looking at the ski section in TK Maxx, they tend to have a pretty decent selection of base layers/thermals.
Not for sleeping, for wearing outside because the cold really gets to me! Ideally, I'd like to be able to wear thermals without layering, which is why the way they look is important..I'm not sure whether what I'm looking for actually exists though hehe.

Hmm, well, the links provided in this thread, and going for a thick, wool top will be your best bet if you don't want to layer up. Probably worth noting that without going for a big thick woolen jumper and a pair of thick joggers, you probably won't be able to achieve the same warmth as you would through wearing a set of baselayer thermals as an extra layer, but I'm sure there'll be things out there which get you close :smile:
Reply 14
Not quite the same, but: http://www.howies.co.uk/product.php/3660/31/

Also have a look at Icebreaker and Paramo to see what they have.

Quick Reply

Latest