The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Driving Lessons in Aber

I'd previously thought I wouldn't bother with learning to drive whilst at uni, but this post on Facebook made me wonder if it would actually be a (practical) possibility. Anyone got any advice as to whether learning whilst at aber is a good idea? And if so, can anyone recommend any certain driving schools?

Also, does anybody know the price of the X40 from Aber to Cardiff? Is this price (£21 return) still (roughly) right?
(edited 12 years ago)
For the couch/train fares, check out National Express's site!
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Original post by IWantToJoinFBI
For the couch/train fares, check out National Express's site!

Their coach website says it'll be a 7-hour-journey at £50 for a return booked months in advance, so they can get stuffed. I could get there cheaper on the train and faster too, I bet! Wanna know the price of Arriva's X40. Thanks anyway. :smile:
Reply 3
i would advise not to learn to drive inside of aberystwyth, i can say from experience, the locals are the worst drivers i have ever come across in my life, and have nearly crashed into me on several occasions :P
Reply 4
This year with the AHA card it was £11.50. So a standard return would be £23

However, Arriva have put their prices up over the summer so I would imagine around £25 for a return from September.

The cheapest train tickets return to South Wales are £32, or £21.40 with a rail card. So it can be cheaper by train if you book in advance. My preference is the train as it is far more comfy and the seats a lot softer.
I need to do driving lessons in aber aswell! Let me know if you find anywhere decent, would rather do a few lessons and a test in aber as the waiting time is like 2 weeks whereas where I am it's about a month and a half, I may just phone up someone random when I get there tbh, fair play if someone can recommend someone but I doubt they will on here, i'll probs wait til I get there...
Reply 6
Original post by Sun!
This year with the AHA card it was £11.50. So a standard return would be £23

However, Arriva have put their prices up over the summer so I would imagine around £25 for a return from September.

The cheapest train tickets return to South Wales are £32, or £21.40 with a rail card. So it can be cheaper by train if you book in advance. My preference is the train as it is far more comfy and the seats a lot softer.

Excellent! Thanks. I'll keep my eye out.
e: Crikey, you're right. I managed to find 4-hour journeys for £11 each way. Probably go with that instead of going with Arriva buses after what I've heard about them (not that the trains are allegedly much better).

Original post by dodgymonkey
I need to do driving lessons in aber aswell! Let me know if you find anywhere decent, would rather do a few lessons and a test in aber as the waiting time is like 2 weeks whereas where I am it's about a month and a half, I may just phone up someone random when I get there tbh, fair play if someone can recommend someone but I doubt they will on here, i'll probs wait til I get there...

I'm not desperate to learn, so judging by evertn's comment I might not bother. The roads don't seem like the best to learn on although much better than those up here in Northumberland!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by krayon
Excellent! Thanks. I'll keep my eye out.
e: Crikey, you're right. I managed to find 4-hour journeys for £11 each way. Probably go with that instead of going with Arriva buses after what I've heard about them (not that the trains are allegedly much better).

Yeah, IMO the train is much better than the bus, and I would proababy pay £15+ per return more just to use the train compared to the bus. Bareing on my for me once I get to Cardiff it would cost £5+ return to get home then the train is much better value.

The bus was just as bad as I imagined, though some people dont mind it. You spend 4.5 hours on really hard uncomfy seats, going on tight country roads, stopping ans starting in every village. You need a bladder like steel to cope, as one of the times I went the toilets in Camarthen were closed and usually when traveling I could go every hour :rolleyes:!! The buses engines are also really loud.
(Not that im anti bus or anything :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Sun!
(Not that im anti bus or anything :tongue:

Just anti-Arriva, right? :biggrin:
Original post by evertn4lif
i would advise not to learn to drive inside of aberystwyth, i can say from experience, the locals are the worst drivers i have ever come across in my life, and have nearly crashed into me on several occasions :P

That seems to go for most Welsh towns from experience.

Original post by krayon
Just anti-Arriva, right? :biggrin:

Isn't everyone? I think more so now in Aber since the bus pass has just sky rocketed.

Original post by krayon
I'd previously thought I wouldn't bother with learning to drive whilst at uni, but this post on Facebook made me wonder if it would actually be a (practical) possibility. Anyone got any advice as to whether learning whilst at aber is a good idea? And if so, can anyone recommend any certain driving schools?

Also, does anybody know the price of the X40 from Aber to Cardiff? Is this price (£21 return) still (roughly) right?

No idea how much it will be now but my then gf used to take it every now and then it would leave really early in the morning and it was a difficult 5 hour long journey...... not the most pleasant either.

Aber in reality isn't a bad place to learn driving, a lot of my mates did their driving lessons and test in Aber. Having said that instructors can be a hit and miss thing. Only thing just make sure you don't learn during the rush hours.
Reply 10
Thanks, Erich, I'll bear that in mind.

I'm thinking I'll book a single session with that Aberystwyth driving school thing and see how I like it.
Original post by krayon

I use to teach people to drive in the London area, going from a big city to little old Aberystwyth, I have no complaints. You don't get people driving around stressed out like they do in cities, yes there are still certain drivers to watch out for.

The pass rate in Aber is over 50% and I have over a 70% pass rate myself.

I feel you really learn how to drive on a variety of roads which you don't often get around some cities.

So in my opinion I think it is a very practical possibility to learn to drive whilst in Aber.
Reply 12
Hi! I'm learning to drive in aber and seriously, the other motorists are quite nice. The pedestrians are shockingly ignorant though. The roads are a bitch to begin with but once you get out of aber past the uni, they're long and straight :smile:

The Ceredigion School of Motoring is really, really good :biggrin:
How much does it cost for lessons? I'm a current first year, and will be in Aber at least until 2015 (excluding a year out between mid-2013 and mid-2014). Would that make learning here pointless??
Reply 14
With him, it's £15 a lesson so it's really cheap :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest