The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The medjai
AAA-AAB according to their website so yeah you're right.

One or two that you really want to go to, one backup, the rest realistic - that's what we've been told about our options ^.^

Original post by JayReg
Username: JayReg
GCSE's: 7A*'s 3A's
AS Levels: Maths (A) Physics (A) Further Maths (X) Chemistry (A)
(All maths and physics modules 90+% apart from M1 at 89% :angry::tongue:)
A levels: Maths, Physics, Further Maths
Currently considering: Oxford, Durham, Manchester,Nottingham, Warwick, Bristol,

Does anyone have any opinions are the best places 5 to go from my list.

I've heard fantastic things about Oxford, Durham, Manchester, Bristol and Warwick. I can't say for Nottingham because I've not payed a lot of attention to it, unfortunately.
Reply 81
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
One or two that you really want to go to, one backup, the rest realistic - that's what we've been told about our options ^.^

In your opinion do you think there's any point in me appyling to UCL.
(edited 12 years ago)
In your opinion do you think there's any point in me appyling to UCL.

What are your predictions?
Reply 83
What are your predictions?

ABB, my physics teacher thinks i'm capable of getting A.
ABB, my physics teacher thinks i'm capable of getting A.

If your reference is good (ie, it says you're more capable of getting AAA, you're a hard worker, etc) and your personal statement is good... if it's somewhere you really want to go, then it's a bit of a risky move but with four other unis that offer lower grades, it's not that bad. Are you retaking any exams?
Reply 85
If your reference is good (ie, it says you're more capable of getting AAA, you're a hard worker, etc) and your personal statement is good... if it's somewhere you really want to go, then it's a bit of a risky move but with four other unis that offer lower grades, it's not that bad. Are you retaking any exams?

Yeah Math C2 in January. Chemistry unit 2 and physics unit 1 in June.
Yeah Math C2 in January. Chemistry unit 2 and physics unit 1 in June.

Did you get As and Bs in your other exams and just do really badly in those particular units, which lowered your overall grade? If that's the case, then if UCL sees you retaking them, they might be lenient if the rest of your application is excellent.
Reply 87
Did you get As and Bs in your other exams and just do really badly in those particular units, which lowered your overall grade? If that's the case, then if UCL sees you retaking them, they might be lenient if the rest of your application is excellent.

Not particulary. Maybe the best thing to do is finish this year with good grades. Take a gap year, if any units are below par i'll resit as private candidate and apply for 2013 entry. With that being said i'll still apply for 2012 and see what offers I get. Thanks for the info :smile: +rep.
Not particulary. Maybe the best thing to do is finish this year with good grades. Take a gap year, if any units are below par i'll resit as private candidate and apply for 2013 entry. With that being said i'll still apply for 2012 and see what offers I get. Thanks for the info :smile: +rep.

Yeah - a mate of mine is applying for Imperial (not for Physics) with ABC in the subjects he needs for the course; he says he's going to try his luck (he's also retaking a couple of modules) and just reapply next year if he doesn't get an offer and gets good grades.

Sure, no problem, just glad I could help :smile:
Reply 89
Hey everybody! :rolleyes:

I'm choosing now between Durham, St Andrews, Lancaster, Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester, Warwick, Nottingham :s-smilie:

What u can say about Physics in Sussex? Is it worth to consider? :confused: Thanks for your answers!!!:biggrin:
Original post by Miglest
Hey everybody! :rolleyes:

I'm choosing now between Durham, St Andrews, Lancaster, Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester, Warwick, Nottingham :s-smilie:

What u can say about Physics in Sussex? Is it worth to consider? :confused: Thanks for your answers!!!:biggrin:

(Added you to the list!) I've heard good things about Sussex!
Reply 91
Gave in the cheque and form for my physics remark, need it to go up by just ONE UMS and i'll be on an A.

Fingers crossed!!!!

If it doesn't go up I'll be retaking some modules and the course work in January so I've got my back up plan
I talked to Oxford's admissions tutor for physics, and they said that they didn't mind you resitting AS modules, just not A2 modules. I'm applying for 2012 entry, so anyone know any universities opposed to resitting just one AS module? Not because I did particularly badly, but to just get a few more marks in the bag as a safety net.
Username: thelinebass
GCSEs: 4A*s, 1B, rest As

AS Levels: Maths ( got an A over 5 modules, just need C4 ), Further Maths ( one module done towards it this year), Physics ( A, although a D in the ISA) and Chemistry (A).

Universities: Cambridge, Nottingham, Lancaster, Manchester, Warwick.

Applying to do Theoretical Physics or w/ theoretical where possible.

Hoping to get into one of the first three on my list.
Reply 94
Original post by thelinebass

Universities: Cambridge, Nottingham, Lancaster, Manchester, Warwick.

Applying to do Theoretical Physics or w/ theoretical where possible.

Hoping to get into one of the first three on my list.

Are you applying to Cam for maths with physics or Natsci?
And what about Nottingham and Lancaster do you prefer to Manchester?
Original post by JayReg
Are you applying to Cam for maths with physics or Natsci?
And what about Nottingham and Lancaster do you prefer to Manchester?

Natural Sciences, and I haven't had time to go to more than 4 unis, so I was deciding between Imperial and Manchester, but I chose manchester as its cheaper and I'd read a good book by the manchester theoretical physics professor.
Username: myfriendSQRT(-1)
GCSES: (9A* 4A) + B in FSMQ additional mathematics
AS: 5As in Physics, Maths, Biology, Music and English Literature
Taking Physics, Maths, and Biology to full A2, and also sitting an AS in Further Mathematics.
Current Choices: Oxford, Manchester, UCL, Nottingham, Exeter
Anyone else sitting the PAT? I find the maths quite okay, but much of the physics isn't on my syllabus (WJEC), so I have to learn a lot of new stuff. The material isn't too bad, but the questions get quite tricky!
Reply 97
Username : Morphius1
GCSEs: 8 A*, 2 A, 1 B
AS: A's in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Computing (I also have to do General Studies and Critical Thinking against my will for my school :frown:)
Taking all 4 of the ones mentioned above (not computing)
Choices: Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Sussex, Lancaster (Theoretical Physics in all except Cam)

Hey guys, what do you think about UCL for physics? Because recently my whole opinion on good uni's was blown, apparently UCL and Imperial are worse at physics than many other universities I've never even heard of, like Lancaster for example (according to the times higher education table anyway).
Original post by Morphius1
Username : Morphius1
GCSEs: 8 A*, 2 A, 1 B
AS: A's in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Computing (I also have to do General Studies and Critical Thinking against my will for my school :frown:)
Taking all 4 of the ones mentioned above (not computing)
Choices: Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Sussex, Lancaster (Theoretical Physics in all except Cam)

Hey guys, what do you think about UCL for physics? Because recently my whole opinion on good uni's was blown, apparently UCL and Imperial are worse at physics than many other universities I've never even heard of, like Lancaster for example (according to the times higher education table anyway).

Lancaster is good, but Imperial is I think on average 3rd in the country for Physics (narrowly following Oxbridge, sometimes topping one or both of them). I don't know about UCL but it's a damn good univesity and I've heard nothing to the contrary...
GCSE: A*AAAAABBCC
AS: AAAB

dont think I stand a chance against most people on here.

Quick Reply

Latest