The Student Room Group

Sheffield v Surrey v Queen Mary

Basically, I've had offers from all 3 universities and am torn between them, visited all of them and didn't help too much.

I'm aware that Sheffield probably has the best overall reputation out of the 3, especially internationally, but I was wondering which one people think has the best economics department and will provide me with the best career prospects with an undergraduate degree?
Reply 1
Original post by AJ23
Basically, I've had offers from all 3 universities and am torn between them, visited all of them and didn't help too much.

I'm aware that Sheffield probably has the best overall reputation out of the 3, especially internationally, but I was wondering which one people think has the best economics department and will provide me with the best career prospects with an undergraduate degree?

Any would do just fine tbh.

But I'd rank them Sheffield>Surrey>Queen Mary
Reply 2
If visiting didn't help, apart from being surprised, have a look at the course content see how it differs and which you would prefer, that might help. The differences between them as Economics departments is not really large enough to be note worthy, I would have thought that the location and the differences in content might cause one to suit you better.

Which does puzzle me, QM is London, Sheffield is a large city (4th largest in the England I believe?) and then Guildford is a decent sized town. They would be very different to live in and give very different experiences.
Reply 3
think which city youd want to be in, and see what other facilities they have, also how expensive each would be to live in.
Reply 4
Thanks for all your responses, it seems like Sheffield is generally more favoured, any reasons in particular for this?
Original post by AJ23
Thanks for all your responses, it seems like Sheffield is generally more favoured, any reasons in particular for this?

Because its a russel group (well, QM has just joined) and generally more well known. I doubt any one has actually studied or visited all three of those unis.
Original post by *Hakz*
Any would do just fine tbh.

But I'd rank them Sheffield>Surrey>Queen Mary

Totally bizarre:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by GrahamRodney
Totally bizarre:smile:

Note that I ranked them according to their reputation for economics.
Original post by *Hakz*
Note that I ranked them according to their reputation for economics.

Then all becomes clear:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Surrey>Sheffield>Queen Mary's
Reply 10
Ok if I was to add Exeter to the choices?
Reply 11
Surrey>Exeter>Sheffield>Queen Mary's
Original post by AJ23

Don't get me wrong, I know that Sheffield is a great university. But reputation-wise it is not known at all internationally, which applies to many good universities in England, Germany, Italy, Sweden and so on, just because people don't know much about the cities in which those universities are based. Internationally, employers know about the old and traditional universities, e.g. Oxbridge, Durham, St. Andrews and about the ones in the capitals/big cities, e.g. University of London (and its colleges), Manchester, Edinburgh etc.
Not that I think this should be influencing which uni you should choose, but in case you consider international reputation a crucial criterion, you'd probably be disappointed about places like Sheffield, York etc., because outside the UK nobody has ever heard of them...
(edited 11 years ago)
PS: Warwick might be an exception though :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by L4Z0
Surrey>Sheffield>Queen Mary's

Surrey rules 'em all.
Reply 15
does surrey have a placement year, sheffield might as well which could be useful in getting a job
Original post by lucas13
does surrey have a placement year, sheffield might as well which could be useful in getting a job

Both have placement years
Hey, just want to start this thread up again..

what would you say is better, sheffield vs surrey for economics now?
Original post by TanishaBellum
Hey, just want to start this thread up again..

what would you say is better, sheffield vs surrey for economics now?

Depends on the program/department and place you would like to be.

There isn't a difference in terms of one will get you a job and the other will not.

Is there anything you are looking for in particular or prefer? Sheffield and Surrey are quite different.

EDIT: Also have you visited them yet?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Beaver
Depends on the program/department and place you would like to be.

There isn't a difference in terms of one will get you a job and the other will not.

Is there anything you are looking for in particular or prefer? Sheffield and Surrey are quite different.

EDIT: Also have you visited them yet?

I think I quite like the look of Sheffield, they have really good youtube video tours by Laurbubble i think. I live in London so its a bit much to go and visit Sheffield! I havent managed to visit Surrey either but based on the virtual tours of both unis I've picked Sheffield :smile: I've even got myself an offer from them already so i'm really happy with that!

Thanks for the reply x

Quick Reply

Latest