The Student Room Group

All of my weight goes to my stomach.

I'm female, 18, and I've read that with a lot of females, weight tends to gather around the thighs/hips/bum due to hormones, but most of my weight tends to be on my stomach. I'm so self-conscious of it, and I'm not sure which exercises would be best to reduce it.

Obviously cardio would reduce fat levels, but I wondered if there were any other types of exercise that would benefit me. I suffer a lot of anxiety so my digestion is awful and results in me being bloated; cutting dairy and some gluten products has only helped a little (I use lactose/gluten free products).

Any dietary recommendations would be helpful too!

Scroll to see replies

Simply put:

Slight calorie deficit combined with regular exercise, not sure what types of food cause bloating but diet is usually the cause of it, i'm sure google will help find out.
there is no special exercise, there is sensible eating and a healthy active lifestyle. You talk like eating makes you gain weight. This should not be the case. If fat is gathering anywhere, and you don't want it to, you're doing something wrong.
Cut down on processed carbs and you'll start noticing a difference (this is from a rower and nutrition's one of the only things I'm any good on!). Do still eat carbs or you won't be able to keep up with your exercise, just shy away from pasta etc and aim for more beans and pulses. You can't spot reduce fat, so there's little point doing crunches etc now. Most people get definition if they lose weight sensibly without the need for stuff like that. If you want to look good as well as just lose weight, lifting weights will help. Doesn't need to be anything heavy, but free weight exercises with just a bar will do you no end of good - muscle's an active tissue so just be existing it burns calories. Keep track of your calories, if you're really committed then I'd recommend Fitday (it's free) - you'd be amazed how wrong your judgement of what you've eaten can be! I used it the other way round, to put on the right kind of weight without putting on fat, but I've known people use it just as well going the other way (which is what it was originally built for). Sensible calorie deficit, sensible eating, cardio and weights (if you want to, not completely necessary) should get you looking awesome.
I'm the same, all my weight goes to my stomach, nowhere else. It's fine in the morning but by the afternoon I look several months gone. I think the only way to keep it at bay is to make sure you don't eat too much and get regular exercise (cardio and abs). I think the recommended amount is 30 mins of moderate exercise per day.
Maybe you should get one of those new-fangled 'calorie-deficits' I've heard so much about?
Eat less, move more.
Reply 7
Thanks for all your help guys!

Do you think buying some light weights to have at home would be a good idea? I don't live close to a gym and I suppose I could look up exercises.

I'll try all the advice :smile:
Cardio wont reduce fat levels, a calorie deficit will. But mever fear! Cardio helps. Look into HIIT.

You want 300-500 calories under your bmr, so long as it doesnt go under 1000. And reduce your refined carb/sugar intake.

You can also do strength training to increase muscle mass.

Also check out the stickies :smile:
Original post by Vixen47
Cardio wont reduce fat levels, a calorie deficit will. But mever fear! Cardio helps. Look into HIIT.

Hey what is HIIT - can someone explain it to me? I've seen it said in a few threads here but no idea what it is!
Reply 10
Do sit ups help tone the stomach, as in make it appear smaller? I'm a boy and I want to be able to wear a shirt tucked into pants and not look like I have a bulge on my lower stomach. I used to look quite bloated too (I overdid it on alcohol) so I've stopped drinking as much and started drinking actimel and I don't look bloated any more. My girlfriend said I used to look pregnant, but now I'm more at the in between stage of slim and chubby. I just want to be slim :frown:
Original post by Vixen47

I managed to loose a lot of fat via Cardio and toning without reducing my calories? The extra excercise meant that I needed the calories for the energy. I guess this just means that my old extra weight was due to lack of excercise and not the amount I was eating then.
Reply 12
For the bloating, eat less simple carbs, more fibre and more water. Don't believe brands like Activia, they're full of ****.
Reply 13
Original post by tooosh
For the bloating, eat less simple carbs, more fibre and more water. Don't believe brands like Activia, they're full of ****.

Actimel worked for me, noticeable to all my friends....
Reply 14
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Hey what is HIIT - can someone explain it to me? I've seen it said in a few threads here but no idea what it is!

You didn't think you'd Google it?

Seeing as you're sitting at a computer...
Original post by Harrifer
You didn't think you'd Google it?

Seeing as you're sitting at a computer...

Which is what I did, but thanks for your pointless comment.
Which is what I did, but thanks for your pointless comment.

his comment isn't pointless. however, your question is pointless. what was the point in asking here if you already Googled it?

first Google result for HIIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
his comment isn't pointless. however, your question is pointless. what was the point in asking here if you already Googled it?

first Google result for HIIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

I asked here THEN I googled it- anyway my question was from about 3 days ago- that's why his unhelpful reply was redundant, I was hardly still waiting for an answer to a very simple question.
I asked here THEN I googled it- anyway my question was from about 3 days ago- that's why his unhelpful reply was redundant, I was hardly still waiting for an answer to a very simple question.

Why Google after asking? Google it, and if you can't find the answer there, then ask.

Says '1 Day Ago: 9th April 2012 13:20' on your initial post, not 3 days.

And if it was a very simple question, why are you asking on an internet forum if the answer can be found in the first result on Google?
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Why Google after asking? Google it, and if you can't find the answer there, then ask.

Says '1 Day Ago: 9th April 2012 13:20' on your initial post, not 3 days.

And if it was a very simple question, why are you asking on an internet forum if the answer can be found in the first result on Google?

If it's such a pointless question (which had nothing to do with you anyway) that doesn't warrant a sensible response why are you still talking about it...

I'm sorry I am such a failure at internet use. Jeez.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply