The Student Room Group

Why can't I get a job?!

Im nearly 18 years old and am really struggling to get a part time job. Im a really pleasant, reliable, trustworthy person, got 11 GCSES yet still cant find one! I want a bit of cash and some experience while im doing my defered year before I go to uni. I have no criminal record, done voluntary work theres basically nothing wrong with me so why cant I get a job but everyone else can!?

My mum said that some companies dont like people who are too smart. If they want someone for a fulltime permanant job, they wont employ anyone who wants to go to uni, so will basically leave them with no employee after a year. What's your take?

It just really irritates me that im one of the youths that wants to work! I will do practically any job, work anywhere for a bit of money because im not a lazy person who sits and moans 'I cant get a job' but doesnt try.. Im really trying and its a kick in the teeth because I want to go and study law, i've studied hard all my life to get good grades which I thought would get me a job but they are useless! It feels like im one of those really unlucky people!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey

your not the only one. i'm 18. i have been applying for jobs for the last few years so i can work during summer vacation but still haven't got a single job offer. it sucks. guess, it is because of the economy :frown:
Companies don't care if you're trustworthy, reliable or pleasant, or if you have 11 A* GCSEs.

They want experience, if you're good at the job and help make a company money they will take you on/keep you. one of our sales executives is a jerk and regularly argues with the CEO, but he won't sack him because he bring in 400-500K a year....

And no everyone else can't lol
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Companies don't care if you're trustworthy, reliable or pleasant, or if you have 11 A* GCSEs.

They want experience, if you're good at the job and help make a company money they will take you on/keep you. one of our sales executives is a jerk and regularly argues with the CEO, but he won't sack him because he bring in 400-500K a year....

And no everyone else can't lol

Yeah but how do you get experience if no one wants to give you a job in the first place? Everyone has to start at the bottom!
Reply 4
What kind of jobs are you applying for?
Reply 5
Keep trying, try looking on Gumtree (can be dodgy but worked for me twice) and temporary work. Summer/xmas jobs were a godsend for me since they employ students with little experience pretty much exclusively. AND make sure your CV is good.
Original post by sarahcatherine1994
Yeah but how do you get experience if no one wants to give you a job in the first place? Everyone has to start at the bottom!

Do you know anyone who has a job? If so where do they work? Go from there...

Do you know anyone who owns a business? If so go speak to them.

If no to both of the above it's a law of average game, the more you apply for the more chances of getting a job, you have to be persistant.

Voluntary work- if you volunteer at a charity shop and get to use the tills and organise the stock it can be good enough to count as retail experience and getting voluntary work in a hospital can be experience for care work. Plus you are helping the community as well as yourself. I work in a care home and the job description said no experience necessary as full training given, so I went for it and got the job straight away with no employment history at all (needed references from school etc), so keep scouring the local adverts in the paper and you may find something similar, especially in industries with a high staff turnover rate :smile:
Im nearly 18 years old and am really struggling to get a part time job. Im a really pleasant, reliable, trustworthy person, got 11 GCSES yet still cant find one! I want a bit of cash and some experience while im doing my defered year before I go to uni. I have no criminal record, done voluntary work theres basically nothing wrong with me so why cant I get a job but everyone else can!?

My mum said that some companies dont like people who are too smart. If they want someone for a fulltime permanant job, they wont employ anyone who wants to go to uni, so will basically leave them with no employee after a year. What's your take?

You're not the only one! I'm 18 this year and I've had 2 jobs so I've got experience, but still nowhere will take me. I've had so many interviews but I just never get the job. I have 13 GCSE's too so it's not like I'm stupid :/ Part time work is just really hard to get atm and loads of people apply for the same job. For example I had an interview at Tesco a few weeks ago and 17 people were there.
Just keep trying and eventually something will come up :smile:
Reply 9
why cant I get a job but everyone else can!?

Everyone else can't. Unemployment for 16-24 year olds has been a bit of an issue recently ya know...

My mum said that some companies dont like people who are too smart.

This is a fallacy. Why would you be against hiring someone who is clever? No, what people mean when they say this is that companies don't like hiring people who are good at exams but bad at mixing with people, being humble, using common sense and actually working hard and getting a job done with minimum fuss.

'Overqualified' and 'too smart' in this context are euphemisms for 'won't stick around' and 'too precious to get hands dirty'.

If they want someone for a fulltime permanant job, they wont employ anyone who wants to go to uni, so will basically leave them with no employee after a year. What's your take?

Employers looking for permanent staff in a job market with more applicants than positions don't want to lower their sights and make do with temporary staff... It is not surprising really.
Reply 10
Just have to keep applying, when I was 17-19 I found it easy to get a job but now it's much harder just because companies arn't taking on as many staff as they used to in retail jobs, and those that do can afford to be picky and go after experienced individuals. They ultimately don't care that you need to start from somewhere to get experience.

Anyway I have applied now to around 20 jobs over the past year as there's just been so few advertised in my area and I've only JUST got my first interview so I'm praying I get it but God knows how many people I'm up against. You just have to keep at it, keep searching regularly so you're always the first to apply and you'll get there eventually!
Original post by pr0view
What kind of jobs are you applying for?

Just around 16 hours a week in supermarkets like Tesco or shops like next or boots.. im not really fussy :smile:

For simple part-time retail jobs or similar, it's largely down to luck. At my place of work, you have to be the lucky one that hands in your CV or application at the instant that somebody else leaves. I just got lucky.

To increase that tiny bit of luck, you need to not be picky nor lazy. If you feel that it would be shameful or whatnot to work at Primark or McDonalds, or that you are worthy of a job paying more than minimum wage, then you're significantly cutting your chances. Of course, everyone would prefer to work in some fancy job, for example at John Lewis, but the reality is that your chances of employment in those high street chains are even lower. By all means, apply for both the high-street work and the less fancy jobs - this is maximising your chances.

You should also make sure to look online and apply to all the jobs that are only available through the web.

NB: I'm not saying that you are acting 'superior' or anything, I'm just warning against it. And if it interests you, I work at Superdrug.
Original post by CraigKirk
For simple part-time retail jobs or similar, it's largely down to luck. At my place of work, you have to be the lucky one that hands in your CV or application at the instant that somebody else leaves. I just got lucky.

To increase that tiny bit of luck, you need to not be picky nor lazy. If you feel that it would be shameful or whatnot to work at Primark or McDonalds, or that you are worthy of a job paying more than minimum wage, then you're significantly cutting your chances. Of course, everyone would prefer to work in some fancy job, for example at John Lewis, but the reality is that your chances of employment in those high street chains are even lower. By all means, apply for both the high-street work and the less fancy jobs - this is maximising your chances.

You should also make sure to look online and apply to all the jobs that are only available through the web.

NB: I'm not saying that you are acting 'superior' or anything, I'm just warning against it. And if it interests you, I work at Superdrug.

I worked in a local hair salon for 3 months but because one of the sylists left and opened her own salon, they had to get rid of me because they werent having enough clients to pay my wage weekly. The owner of the salon was horrible to me, she nearly had police involved when she assaulted the lass whose job I got. She said 'oh i'll give you a reference' but I was only there for 3 months. But to be honest I dont think she liked me so I doubt she would actually give me a reference. I left in Spetember and its april and still havent got one so it doesnt look impressive does it?
I worked in a local hair salon for 3 months but because one of the sylists left and opened her own salon, they had to get rid of me because they werent having enough clients to pay my wage weekly. The owner of the salon was horrible to me, she nearly had police involved when she assaulted the lass whose job I got. She said 'oh i'll give you a reference' but I was only there for 3 months. But to be honest I dont think she liked me so I doubt she would actually give me a reference. I left in Spetember and its april and still havent got one so it doesnt look impressive does it?

Not particularly impressive, but since it's not your fault, it probably won't count much against you as long as you explain clearly what happened.

Regardless, your potential employer isn't likely to want a reference unless they pick up your application form with some degree of interest. At that point you're already doing pretty well - they just need informing about your circumstances and they'll probably let you take a reference from someone at school or some other kind of referee before the salon.
Just around 16 hours a week in supermarkets like Tesco or shops like next or boots.. im not really fussy :smile:

Hmm, that does sound rather strange! My older brother easily got a job at Tesco's. He's 18 too. And it wasn't like there were no applicants. He has 11 GCSE's too and has nothing 'extra'. I'm 16 and I applied to work for Waitrose and have got an interview soon. I got a job at Topshop quite easily...try there?
Places like Superdrugs and Sainsbury's are quite easy to get into I think.
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Hmm, that does sound rather strange! My older brother easily got a job at Tesco's. He's 18 too. And it wasn't like there were no applicants. He has 11 GCSE's too and has nothing 'extra'. I'm 16 and I applied to work for Waitrose and have got an interview soon. I got a job at Topshop quite easily...try there?
Places like Superdrugs and Sainsbury's are quite easy to get into I think.

I've been on job centre and there are loads of jobs. But they are not at all local and I couldnt at all get to them! My local tescos never take new people on, as every single person who works there has got a job through their mother who works there or their best mate 'putting in a word'. My boyfriend works in tesco and he says that they arent taking people on and wont be for at least another 4 month.
I was in this same position until I recently found a job... but I did things slightly differently to how I had been doing in interviews:

1. I removed all mention about a 'gap year' or university on the About Me section of my CV. Instead I just listed my already achieved grades. Similarly, I didn't mention going to uni in interviews - its still a few months away, and telling an employer only gives them a reason to opt for a candidate in it for the long-term.

2. I stopped being so damn enthusiastic about the company. Research is good, but a laid-back attitude comes accross as more personable and genuine/trustworthy.

3. Don't underestimate the value of punctuality and reliability. Emphasise these practical skills more on your CV as opposed to academic achievements (as I was doing)
Welcome to the world of employment. I had a gap year between degrees and spent 6 months of it on the dole, applying for about 2-3 jobs a week (there aren't many jobs coming up where I live but I applied to all that I saw). It was only by chance that I saw an advert in the window of a shop and managed to get the job - though I had to lie about having already been accepted onto another degree course.
IMO it has nothing to do with your CV, most unskilled jobs like shop/waitressing don't care about qualifacations or extra-curricular achievements. As long as you are literate, friendly and not a complete weirdo in the interview they wont care, at the end of the day anyone can make up stuff for a CV about being a good team worker...Overall though, it's usually being in the right place at the right time or knowing someone who already works there (For example in the shop where I worked people were always getting jobs for their sisters/brothers/boyfriends..). So all in all it's mainly gonna be down to luck I think.
Its tough at the minute. At the interview for my current job, I found out there were 13 other candidates all going for the same position. :redface: Also, since you're up against so many people,there's bound to be someone there with more experience. You just have to really persevere and keep going. If you haven't done so already, send a (polite) mass email with your CV attached to all your local cafes and restaurants, as that's how I got my first 2 jobs. Also, make sure you are applying at realistic places. For example, you may not have much luck applying at places like Beaverbrooks or Debenhams. A lot of places want lots of experience. A good way to get your foot in the door is via christmas/summer temp jobs, so look out for those! (Again I haven't gone through the whole thread so sorry if I'm repeating someone here )

Some companies I reccommend you try are: Greggs, Marks and Spencer (though you would think it, they dont have ridiculously high standards..many of my friends work there), McDonalds, Boots, Clarks, Waterstone's (they took me on with only 5 months waitressing experience), KFC, Subway, Poundland, Costa Coffee, Primark and HMV.

Again, I understand it's ridiculously hard.. I am 17 and just got myself a new job. However, it took me months and months. Aim for 'lower' jobs (Even if the pay isnt great) and do your best to work your way up. All the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending