The Student Room Group

Desperate to do Nutrition/Dietetics.. no Science A Level

I would love to do Nutrition/Dietetics at University, but I haven't taken any Science A Levels. When I left year 11 I wasn't thinking about my career, but after recent events, I've realised this is something I'd love to do. Is there any way I can get in without a Science A Level, like I know they do Foundation Years for Healthcare Sciences, is there anything similar for a Nutrtion/Dietetics course?

If not, is there another course that I can do that has me working in aspects to do with nutrition and health without the need to do Science A Level?

I want to kick myself for not taking a Science. By the way, this would be for entry in 2013.
oh my god you're in the same position as me! i really hope someone replies to this with some help because i REALLY want to do dietetics/nutrition, but have taken stupid A levels :frown:

i've looked at a course at Leeds Trinity College University, which does food and health and that one doesn't need a science but i want to do dietetics not food and health but it might have to do :frown:
Reply 2
I had no science A levels, but I did an Access course instead and I got onto my dietetics degree. You can do foundation courses instead, I think, and also BTECs. Have a look at the course specifications for the universities you want to go to.

You will also need some good work experience as it is a very competitive course to get on to.

Good luck x
Reply 3
Thanks so much! And best of luck to the person in the same position as me :frown:
Reply 4
Nottingham and London Met Uni do foundation Science years which you can use to progress to their Dietetics course and I think Hertfordshire do too.. you will have to check the others. It is essentially just like spending an extra year at Uni. If not then you could to an Access to Science Course? Just make sure the one's in your area match up to the Uni's entrance criteria. This is something I am struggling with and Dietetics seems really competitive (I think Nutrition is less so however). I would advise that you try and get some work experience aswell, if you haven't already :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I am currently finishing a one year Life Sciences in Subjects Allied to Medicine Cert Ed. ( like a foundation degree) at Birkbeck College, University of London. It is recognised by all the unis in the south as an alternative to A levels in Chemistry and Biology. All the unis ask for a different pass mark for entry on to their courses e.g. Herts 70% Kings 75%. It is a one year course with really friendly and knowledgable staff, students are a mixture of ages 18 - 50 and help with uni applications.

If you want to apply for 2013 get your application in well before the deadline in January. Make sure you have shadowing experience within a clinical setting with a dietitian. Don't give in when the first hospital turns you down. The unis will want to see you are committed to the career.

There are approximately 12 applicants per place on the dietetic degree courses so competition is fierce.

Good luck with your studies!
Reply 6
Original post by Fruity Girl
I am currently finishing a one year Life Sciences in Subjects Allied to Medicine Cert Ed. ( like a foundation degree) at Birkbeck College, University of London. It is recognised by all the unis in the south as an alternative to A levels in Chemistry and Biology. All the unis ask for a different pass mark for entry on to their courses e.g. Herts 70% Kings 75%. It is a one year course with really friendly and knowledgable staff, students are a mixture of ages 18 - 50 and help with uni applications.

If you want to apply for 2013 get your application in well before the deadline in January. Make sure you have shadowing experience within a clinical setting with a dietitian. Don't give in when the first hospital turns you down. The unis will want to see you are committed to the career.

There are approximately 12 applicants per place on the dietetic degree courses so competition is fierce.

Good luck with your studies!

Hi, I am an italian student and I'd like to apply for this course in 2014...can you give me some advices about it? Sorry but I can't find a lot of info anywhere..I'd like to do biochemistry or something like that,.. is it accepted by all the uni even if I won't study maths and physics?

Thank you =)
Original post by sophhiee
I would love to do Nutrition/Dietetics at University, but I haven't taken any Science A Levels. When I left year 11 I wasn't thinking about my career, but after recent events, I've realised this is something I'd love to do. Is there any way I can get in without a Science A Level, like I know they do Foundation Years for Healthcare Sciences, is there anything similar for a Nutrtion/Dietetics course?

If not, is there another course that I can do that has me working in aspects to do with nutrition and health without the need to do Science A Level?

I want to kick myself for not taking a Science. By the way, this would be for entry in 2013.

Plymouth also do a foundation year. I started my dietetics degree today after completing the foundation year :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by carriesouthcott
Plymouth also do a foundation year. I started my dietetics degree today after completing the foundation year :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What grades do you need for the foundation year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was a mature student with none at all but I think for the one in Plymouth if you're straight from school then the ucas tariff is really low x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi - not sure if any of the original posters will see this. Did you all go on to complete the nutrition course? Am also a mature student considering this. I work full time and just wondered if anyone studied it part time, and how long it took etc. Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks
Original post by Ger2020
Hi - not sure if any of the original posters will see this. Did you all go on to complete the nutrition course? Am also a mature student considering this. I work full time and just wondered if anyone studied it part time, and how long it took etc. Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks

You could do an Access to HE Science - That's what I done and got in to study BSc Nutrition at Bournemouth and a few from my cohort went on to study a masters in dietetics.

Bournemouth also started a foundation year which leads straight on to BSc Nutrition, so it's 1 year foundation plus 3 year BSc (or plus 4 years if you choose to do placement year). I believe you don't need GCSE's but do need some level 3's but the subjects aren't important (it says 48-72 UCAS points): https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/studying-us/types-study/foundation-years

There are definitely ways to get into the field, the only thing I would suggest is that you really look into the difference between what a nutritionist and a dietitian can legally do as that could completely change the course you decide on and the entry requirements.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest