Original post by charlotteboulton28
remember the exam is based on 3 parts.

(roughly)
- /7 for the use of language analysis
- /7 for structure
- /7 for form

this question is only marked on AO2

:smile:

Their new focus is voice and structure more than form&language now so revise that :smile:
Reply 61
hi guys!
i found this really helpful personally and it explains the marks needed for each exam to get each grade.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php

put in the year, spec and type and then click multiple grades and it'll show you the full breakdown :smile:
hope this helps and calms nerves :smile:

This is great! So why is it that the grade boundaries were so low in Jan? Does that mean that the exam is likely to be relatively easier next week but with higher grade boundaries?
Reply 62
erm well i'm hoping it'll be 3rd time lucky

(^havent got the hang of this 'quote' thing yet...
)

oh i know im hoping third time lucky too!

dont get me started on my teachers for these units - both got pregnant and abandoned me without covering the 'shaping meaning' analysis required in detail.

tragic!

good luck though! x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
I'm resitting for the second time. Third time overall. -.- Such a lame paper, I went from D to C. And I'm hoping now C to B. But really, last time it was horrible they asked us what the significance of names were in our texts Section B. Mariner... So... Wedding - Guest well it signifies he's at a wedding... Life-in-Death what da f? So yeah I'm in A2 now so I haven't had time to go to any AS Workshops. Anyone know what might come up?
Original post by pnorm
I'm resitting for the second time. Third time overall. -.- Such a lame paper, I went from D to C. And I'm hoping now C to B. But really, last time it was horrible they asked us what the significance of names were in our texts Section B. Mariner... So... Wedding - Guest well it signifies he's at a wedding... Life-in-Death what da f? So yeah I'm in A2 now so I haven't had time to go to any AS Workshops. Anyone know what might come up?

I agree. I have personally found A2 easier than AS (although I switched colleges after my E grade on this paper last year, and am now doing WJEC.)

If anyone can help me with Section A for Hardy: I am retaking this all by myself as my school do not teach AQA. I only have a few notes from my old college last year, and any help, particularly on AB crit/quotes would be invaluable.

..Also, I've been predicted an A at A2, retake depending - so I'd just like to say don't less this exam define your whole course, grade or ability if it doesn't go well. :smile:
Original post by Bonganp01
This is great! So why is it that the grade boundaries were so low in Jan? Does that mean that the exam is likely to be relatively easier next week but with higher grade boundaries?

i don't think the grade boundaries were low for a particular reason, they change based on what other people around the country get. the exam could be on anything, so seriously it doesn't matter if it's an 'easy' exam, especially as there are SO many questions it's very hard to tell if it'll be 'easy' or 'hard' for everyone else - it's a generic UMS rather than specific to the questions you choose :smile:

for example, someone in my year in the summer got 63/84 and got full UMS. it varies every year but it all eventually balances out :smile:
good luck :smile: x
[QUOTE="Tizbransby;37477534"]
erm well i'm hoping it'll be 3rd time lucky

(^havent got the hang of this 'quote' thing yet...
)

oh i know im hoping third time lucky too!

dont get me started on my teachers for these units - both got pregnant and abandoned me without covering the 'shaping meaning' analysis required in detail.

tragic!

good luck though! x

good luck to you. i was saying to some people at school that i reckon teachers shouldn't be able to teach the syllabus if they can't themselves at least get band 5 in all the questions - seems pointless if they can't sit the exam.

they have no idea what the pressure's like! hahaha good luck! x
Original post by pnorm

same as me - i sat in the summer and had a panic attack in the exam and ended up with a 'u' - no surprises there!

i then resat in January and got a 'd' but only 2 marks off a 'c'.
hoping i get up to a 'b' at least as i really want a B overall for A Level :smile:

none of my teachers really have any idea...
sorry i'm not much help!

have fun in the exam and good luck! x
Reply 68
Original post by pnorm

I'm the same as you. I was predicted an A for the exam back in AS and got a D. I retook it and got a D again. It made me feel so pathetic. It's so irritating though because I have an A in all of my coursework modules and I got an A in my A2 exam. Because of this bloody AS exam my grade became a B overall, and I need an A to get into Kings, so I've got to retake it again even though I've left sixth form.

A2 was so much easier in comparison to this horrible exam.
Reply 69
Original post by Sit Down!
I'm the same as you. I was predicted an A for the exam back in AS and got a D. I retook it and got a D again. It made me feel so pathetic. It's so irritating though because I have an A in all of my coursework modules and I got an A in my A2 exam. Because of this bloody AS exam my grade became a B overall, and I need an A to get into Kings, so I've got to retake it again even though I've left sixth form.

This is not the first time I've heard about A2 being easier than AS, makes no sense to me. I'm finding that with AS I've have to adopt a whole approach to writing in comparison to GCSE's. I hate it, have to follow religiously the AO's takes the fun out of English I believe. May I ask what course are you pursuing at King's?
Reply 70
Not sure if this helps - but to expand your revision a bit - my teacher suggested that section B might be relationships, morality, conflict, surprise, tension, human weaknesses, heroism vs. villainy. :smile:

P&P Section A Might be Ch. 34/56, B might be Lady C. or Mr. & Mrs. B, Browning A might be Lippi, B may be Humour/speaking voice, or revelation of the character. :P

In exchange for that little gem - any chance someone could tell me what to write about for section A question A? And section B. :P Like how to address the question?

Thankyou!
Original post by Sit Down!

ME too, omg. I got an E in this exam last year, and I have now got an A for all my as and a2 modules. it is so not a accurate reflection on the candidate, in my opinion, to test whether they can regurgitate a mass of points on 4 texts in just two hours. For me studying so many texts all at the same time was much harder than studying two in great depth at a2.
Reply 72
[QUOTE="charlotteboulton28;37484454"]
Original post by Tizbransby

good luck to you. i was saying to some people at school that i reckon teachers shouldn't be able to teach the syllabus if they can't themselves at least get band 5 in all the questions - seems pointless if they can't sit the exam.

they have no idea what the pressure's like! hahaha good luck! x

I think this is a very interesting point. I'm currently a Teaching Assistant with a Media degree and thinking about teaching so I signed up for this course to bump up my English knowledge. If I was to teach English alongside Media I didn't want to teach what I couldn't do myself. It's looking likely I will get around a c/d which is not bad considering I have done this self-studied.
This website has been really helpful, thanks guys and the teachers at my school have been really helpful aswell.
I'm a bit scared about this exam! In the practise papers I have been getting C's but I really want a high B! I really hope A2 next year is easier! If anyone needs help I found this other post relating to the exam: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=873067

Also, the texts I am studying are:
The Kite Runner (ain Focus For section A)
The Great Gatsby ( Main Focus For section B)
Browning Poems (Main Focus For section B)
Hardy Poems (Main Focus For section B)
Reply 74
my teachers seem to think that this summer the question for section B will either be on Form or on some sort of moral message or destination of the texts

these haven't come up yet and seem the most likely...

if a question on Form appears, try to answer using this - you are automatically addressing AO2.
:smile:

What do you mean by Moral message or destination?:smile:
Reply 75
What do you mean by Moral message or destination?:smile:

I think what they mean is:
Moral message - an underlying message conveyed throughout the poem/novel which teaches us a lesson about life e.g in the Great Gatsby I think the moral message is that of the negative effects of consumerism and leading a hedonistic lifestyle, which ultimately leads to corruption and moral decay.

Destination - how the characters/personas end up i.e where the narrative is heading. Throughout the poem/novel there are often hints as to what will happen in the end. :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by LFS
I think what they mean is:
Moral message - an underlying message conveyed throughout the poem/novel which teaches us a lesson about life e.g in the Great Gatsby I think the moral message is that of the negative effects of consumerism and leading a hedonistic lifestyle, which ultimately leads to corruption and moral decay.

Destination - how the characters/personas end up i.e where the narrative is heading. Throughout the poem/novel there are often hints as to what will happen in the end. :smile:

Thanks! The 'moral messages' question seems pretty straight forward, the destination one, on the other hand is erm rather interesting :s-smilie:.. all I can think of is the use of analepsis and prolepsis to create a sense of direction which I guess allows the narrative discourse to ultimately gravitate towards a tragic ending (in the case of Great Gatsby)-but I don't know.. I cant seem to think outside the box. What do you think of these questions? Would you say destination was similar to places in some aspect? Thanks again:smile:
Reply 77
Thanks! The 'moral messages' question seems pretty straight forward, the destination one, on the other hand is erm rather interesting :s-smilie:.. all I can think of is the use of analepsis and prolepsis to create a sense of direction which I guess allows the narrative discourse to ultimately gravitate towards a tragic ending (in the case of Great Gatsby)-but I don't know.. I cant seem to think outside the box. What do you think of these questions? Would you say destination was similar to places in some aspect? Thanks again:smile:

Yeah, when they say destination they basically want you to talk about the methods the writers use to point to the overall effects and meanings of the story being told, which can include how the characters end up etc. So yes, the use of retrospective narrative means that Nick often hints at the destination, as you said through analepsis and prolepsis, but also through particular things he says such as 'Even Gatsby could happen, without any particular wonder', which signals a change in direction and that something is going to change, hence pointing at the destination.

Events can point to destination too, such as the car crash outside Gatsby's house in chapter 3, a foreboding of Myrtle's fate and the capacity for recklessness, as Owl Eyes 'wash[es] his hands of the whole matter'. Of course this is further reinforced by Jordan not caring that she is a 'rotten driver' and that it 'takes two to make an accident'.

Also certain characters are crucial to the destination of the novel, such as George Wilson as he ends up killing Gatsby and hints at the one of the meanings of the novel, about social standing and the negative effects of the American Dream.

Sorry, I know I've rambled on a bit, but I too am trying to get my head around this whole 'destination' thing so writing it out like this has helped me. Hopefully it's helped you a bit too :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by LFS
Yeah, when they say destination they basically want you to talk about the methods the writers use to point to the overall effects and meanings of the story being told, which can include how the characters end up etc. So yes, the use of retrospective narrative means that Nick often hints at the destination, as you said through analepsis and prolepsis, but also through particular things he says such as 'Even Gatsby could happen, without any particular wonder', which signals a change in direction and that something is going to change, hence pointing at the destination.

Events can point to destination too, such as the car crash outside Gatsby's house in chapter 3, a foreboding of Myrtle's fate and the capacity for recklessness, as Owl Eyes 'wash[es] his hands of the whole matter'. Of course this is further reinforced by Jordan not caring that she is a 'rotten driver' and that it 'takes two to make an accident'.

Also certain characters are crucial to the destination of the novel, such as George Wilson as he ends up killing Gatsby and hints at the one of the meanings of the novel, about social standing and the negative effects of the American Dream.

Sorry, I know I've rambled on a bit, but I too am trying to get my head around this whole 'destination' thing so writing it out like this has helped me. Hopefully it's helped you a bit too :smile:

No, this is great thanks! Never would of thought of characters lol. Now that you've really explored the concept more, I definitely think its very open to interpretation:smile: Do you think it would be relevant to talk about cars as they function not only as transporters but also act as catalysts to tragedy and fatal destinations. Or would I be kind of going off topic:s-smilie: In my mock I mentioned how in chapter 7 the narrative pace accelerates similarly to the "death car" which drives (no pun intended!) the narrative discourse towards tragedy.
Reply 79
No, this is great thanks! Never would of thought of characters lol. Now that you've really explored the concept more, I definitely think its very open to interpretation:smile: Do you think it would be relevant to talk about cars as they function not only as transporters but also act as catalysts to tragedy and fatal destinations. Or would I be kind of going off topic:s-smilie: In my mock I mentioned how in chapter 7 the narrative pace accelerates similarly to the "death car" which drives (no pun intended!) the narrative discourse towards tragedy.

No I think that's a great point, might have to steal that last bit off you if that chapter happens to come up :wink: I reckon the thing you've got to be careful about with destinations (and I know I'm kinda contradicting myself as to my first post here, before I'd really thought about it) is not to get to wound-up in the physical endings i.e Myrtle's death, but make sure that you're also thinking about destinations in terms of the overall effects and meanings of the novel as a whole. And obviously, Myrtle's death isn't just physical, it holds a lot of significance to the meaning of the entire story. So I guess you've gotta just develop your points to make sure you're answering the question. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it comes up for section B, though I would probably choose the other one for fear of going off topic!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending