The Student Room Group

A2 Biology Unit 6 ~ 16th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by iesians
OMG loved it !! thank you so much !! i wish you were in my school !!!! what do you reckon will come ..? daphnia came in unit 3 now , so ithink theres quite a chance for vitamin C this time , i hate that practical !!!!!!

Haha. Ya that helped me soo muchh.
I think ecology for sure, transects, quadrats, etc. And maybee Vitamin C for the first question. Revise all AS Practicals.
God. Im freaking out'
Reply 41
Original post by d_94
I think ecology for sure, transects, quadrats, etc. And maybee Vitamin C for the first question. Revise all AS Practicals.
God. Im freaking out'

ecology is way over y head , i never get it !!! and vitamin C !!!! ill kill myself !! i really hope that snail habituation comes , its super easy !! :smile:
Original post by d_94
God. Im freaking out'

How about the snail thing????..Habituation experiment.....it makes sense....coz it had loads of theories and advantage,disadvantage as well...just being optimistic...:smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Abrar_Higuain
How about the snail thing????..Habituation experiment.....it makes sense....coz it had loads of theories and advantage,disadvantage as well...just being optimistic...:smile:

i wish you are rgiht !! i love that experiment and it hasnt come yet so im very hopeful ! i jusr wish vitamin C doesnt come !! its so complicated and all chemistry !!, which i hate !!
Reply 44
Original post by iesians
i wish you are rgiht !! i love that experiment and it hasnt come yet so im very hopeful ! i jusr wish vitamin C doesnt come !! its so complicated and all chemistry !!, which i hate !!

Since when is Vitamin C in the A2 core pracs? Or do you mean all AS core pracs can come for this year?
Reply 45
Original post by verdikt
Since when is Vitamin C in the A2 core pracs? Or do you mean all AS core pracs can come for this year?

yes all AS core practicals can come in paper 6 :/
Reply 46
Original post by d_94
Heyy everyonee.
I found this online for Unit 6.

Unit 6- Practical

The Unit 6.rar file includes:
Old syllabus past papers and mark schemes from 2003 Jan onwards.
All New syllabus past papers and mark schemes until 2011 June.
Summary and procedure of practical
Link
http://www.mediafire.com/?x2npmky2afgex

thanks so much :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by verdikt

ummm hello ! all AS pracs are to be studied for unit 6 ! last year a question on beetroot came and clearly that isnt in A2 ! so yea v gotta study AS pracs too...
Reply 48
Original post by d_94
Yes, It always comes in question 1.
In question 2, there is the tables and bio-staticts, with graphs
And lastly in question 3, there is the ****ing investigations of ecology :/ DAMNN

question 3 is a killlllllllllllllller !!!
i hate it completely !!!
most of the times it ecology but not all the time ....
becoz last year it was on tooth decay !! yuck !
i hope snail habituation comes ... !!!
Reply 49
Ya. I hate it. Aghhh! :/
Yea. Tht was the surpirising thing in question 3 in the tooth decay
Edexcel is unpredictable
Reply 50
Does anyone have a "layout" on how to write out the experiements in ecology??
i asked my bio teacher and she says she forgot and asked me to ask the math teacher. my math teacher said its somewhat similar to normal distribution, only the stuff isnt symmetrical this time. also, you dont get to calculate anything, the best you can do is to check the table for the values.

significance level is about sth like how certain the results are..like how well your results prove your hypothesis. you locate the two t values between which the given t level lies. then you can figure out the approximate value of the significance value. the smaller that value, the better your results can prove your hypothesis..sth like that.

Original post by iesians
please do ask ! only one week left
Reply 52
Can anyone provide me controlled variables on effects on exercise (spirometer trace blah) and how to control them?
Reply 53
Original post by verdikt
Can anyone provide me controlled variables on effects on exercise (spirometer trace blah) and how to control them?

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................OMG this is so hard !!
i think its impportant to put a nose clip !
to only breath through the mouthpiece which should be sterilised
and also i think concentration of soda lime should be kept constant
i cant think of anything else................!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 54
Original post by kitriviolet
i asked my bio teacher and she says she forgot and asked me to ask the math teacher. my math teacher said its somewhat similar to normal distribution, only the stuff isnt symmetrical this time. also, you dont get to calculate anything, the best you can do is to check the table for the values.

significance level is about sth like how certain the results are..like how well your results prove your hypothesis. you locate the two t values between which the given t level lies. then you can figure out the approximate value of the significance value. the smaller that value, the better your results can prove your hypothesis..sth like that.

thank yuo very much ! i see you did a lot of hardwork ! thank you again !!:smile::wink:
Can any suggest some in-generel points for the question no 3???.....Preliminary works, Limitations and most importantly the 10 marks question of the planning....i m really finding it hard to find a trend of the markscheme points...a generel guidance points will be really appreciated.......
Reply 56
Is it just me, or can ANYONE answer Q3??????!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry:
Reply 57
Original post by Abrar_Higuain
Can any suggest some in-generel points for the question no 3???.....Preliminary works, Limitations and most importantly the 10 marks question of the planning....i m really finding it hard to find a trend of the markscheme points...a generel guidance points will be really appreciated.......

for preliminary :-
-practice the method beforehand to actually see if it will work or not
-write the independent variables which can affect the dependant variable
-state how you wil control them
-find out favourable conditions for the experiment and try to impose them in the actual experiment
-select a suitable timescale to measure the dependant variable.
(NOTE ive written dependant variable ....in the real exam replace it with the dependant variable ASKED IN THE EXAM eg:- number of egg hatched , human height etc....)

then theres always a question on ethical issues and safety :-

-(if about animal) top notch veterinary services cannot be provided
- do not put too much stress or it may die
- relocate to natural environment soon after the experiment is over
- keep lab conditions hygeinic

-(if about plants) wear gloves
- careful of insect biting
- do not tamper with other plants
- try not to stamp on other plants
- plants may be poisonous

and safety:-
- wear gloves
-wear goggles
-clean benches with ethanol
- flame necks of bottles to avoid air borne contamination
- possible chances of bacterial infection
- some people maybe allergic to certain chemicals used during the experiment.

......................for the 10 mark question basically write WHATEVER you can think of , its 2 pages , fill them completely !!!!!!

limitations :-

- not possible to control all factors affecting dependent variable
- conditions in lab may differ from conditions in the natural environment
- (then become specific) eg :- cloud shade affecting sunlight reaching earth , not placing the cotton wool in same place between eye stalks , not able to keep temperature constant , impossible to control genetic variations in seeds and organisms , difficulty in counting all the eggs through the microscope ....etc etc etc !!!

HOPE THIS HELPS ...! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58
Woow. Thanks soo much iesians <3 x
Original post by iesians
for preliminary :-
-practice the method beforehand to actually see if it will work or not
-write the independent variables which can affect the dependant variable
-state how you wil control them
-find out favourable conditions for the experiment and try to impose them in the actual experiment
-select a suitable timescale to measure the dependant variable.
(note ive written dependant variable ....in the real exam replace it with the dependant variable asked in the exam eg:- number of egg hatched , human height etc....)

then theres always a question on ethical issues and safety :-

-(if about animal) top notch veterinary services cannot be provided
- do not put too much stress or it may die
- relocate to natural environment soon after the experiment is over
- keep lab conditions hygeinic

-(if about plants) wear gloves
- careful of insect biting
- do not tamper with other plants
- try not to stamp on other plants
- plants may be poisonous

and safety:-
- wear gloves
-wear goggles
-clean benches with ethanol
- flame necks of bottles to avoid air borne contamination
- possible chances of bacterial infection
- some people maybe allergic to certain chemicals used during the experiment.

......................for the 10 mark question basically write whatever you can think of , its 2 pages , fill them completely !!!!!!

Limitations :-

- not possible to control all factors affecting dependent variable
- conditions in lab may differ from conditions in the natural environment
- (then become specific) eg :- cloud shade affecting sunlight reaching earth , not placing the cotton wool in same place between eye stalks , not able to keep temperature constant , impossible to control genetic variations in seeds and organisms , difficulty in counting all the eggs through the microscope ....etc etc etc !!!

Hope this helps ...! :smile:

u are an angel my friend!!!!! God bless you!!!!!!!!!!!!!:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest