The Student Room Group

I did the most retarded thing.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by T-Toe
Well that makes me feel tonnes better.

Sorry but you kind of deserve it. :tongue:
Reply 41
You may be able to make up for it in the rest of the exams surely? If you're only in 1st or 2nd year then I wouldn't worry on it just hope you're not in your Honours year!
Reply 42
Original post by RabbitCFH
They told us about people who answered all essay questions and warned us not to make the same mistake but I never thought those people actually existed.

LOL, tried to give you positive rep but said "please rate some other members before rating this member again" :frown:
Reply 43
Sorry but you kind of deserve it. :tongue:

I don't deserve to feel bad because I made a mistake. I'm aware I've made a mistake. I get it. Why condemn me for making a mistake that's irreversible?

Well it's TSR, I should have expected the bashings.
In one of our exams one part was like that. I remember it saying if you do for whatever reason decide to answer all the questions, they mark the first one written... Instead of picking and choosing.
Original post by T-Toe
I don't deserve to feel bad because I made a mistake. I'm aware I've made a mistake. I get it. Why condemn me for making a mistake that's irreversible?

Maybe you should change the thread title. I think using the word 'retarded' isn't exactly doing you any favours.

As for the mistake you should accept that it's happened and learn from it. At least now you'll always double check exam instructions :smile:!
Original post by T-Toe
Yes, I won't be making that same mistake again.

Everyone makes mistakes though. One day you'll laugh about it. There's nothing you can do now so I wouldn't worry.
Original post by petal1991
LOL, tried to give you positive rep but said "please rate some other members before rating this member again" :frown:

You have repped me before! <3

Original post by T-Toe

It is kinda funny what you did though.
Reply 48
You have repped me before! <3

It is kinda funny what you did though.

Yeah true, even my mum laughed and she's pro academia.
Why is everyone laying into OP about it? It's obviously a mistake, everyone does something stupid once in a while, that's life.

OP, explain to your tutor/ lecturer the issue, I know it's frustrating but you'll just have to resit, hopefully this isn't your third year!
Personally I feel like a lot of people are being particularly harsh towards the OP. It's very easy to sit in an exam, be worried about it and totally forget very trivial things (for example, yesterday I had an exam I was really nervous about, and I forgot to switch my phone off. Luckily it was on silent in my bag.)

The point is, it's an exam and it's a stressful time. If this was the second time the OP has done this then I'd laugh too, but it's a novice mistake and I'm sure you've all done it, you just did it in nursery/primary/some time pre GCSE when it didn't matter.
I did that. Was gutted but I did get a B in the end. It was for my gcse history exam a few years ago. If you're that confident you probably didn't do too shabby.
Original post by T-Toe
Answering all the questions is better than writing nothing at all I guess.

I've got little knowledge of your situation, but to me that doesn't seem like the most appropriate comment! :tongue:

I'd say that you really should have read the front, but now that it's come to it (if you can't retake with a different paper), they'll mark all the essays and give you the highest mark. Not that it (should) be very high.
Reply 53
I'm assuming you've done exams before, right? (Unless you skipped A-levels/GCSEs/whatever exams you took to get into uni) So what I don't understand is why you would choose to just ignore the instruction bit. It's common sense to do so in every exam you sit. Maybe your tutors will sympathise but given that they drill it into their students to always read the instructions I doubt they'd be best pleased. As for marking all of your essays - doubt it; it'll just be more work for them. It's a shame but what can you do now?
Reply 54
Original post by aeterno
I'm assuming you've done exams before, right? (Unless you skipped A-levels/GCSEs/whatever exams you took to get into uni) So what I don't understand is why you would choose to just ignore the instruction bit. It's common sense to do so in every exam you sit. Maybe your tutors will sympathise but given that they drill it into their students to always read the instructions I doubt they'd be best pleased. As for marking all of your essays - doubt it; it'll just be more work for them. It's a shame but what can you do now?

OK I GET IT. IT WAS A MISTAKE. HAVING A GO AT ME WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING (in fact I believe you're the 45th insulter).
Reply 55
Original post by T-Toe
OK I GET IT. IT WAS A MISTAKE. HAVING A GO AT ME WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING (in fact I believe you're the 45th insulter).

I wasn't insulting you so chill the **** out.
Reply 56
Original post by aeterno
I wasn't insulting you so chill the **** out.

You indirectly insulted my intelligence.

Says the one who had to curse. :curious:

It's amazing how pressing the caps lock button means you're 'raging with anger'.
I do have to ask how you got through GCSEs and A-Levels without reading the instructions, and yet managed to luck out on not getting this situation earlier ... I always wonder why it happens to so few people.
Reply 58
Not really sure what you expect from this thread- you know you've made a mistake and you've said you'll do fine and probably get a first regardless, so surely it doesn't matter? Sure, it's frustrating but you definitely won't ever do that in exam again!
Reply 59
Original post by riotgrrl
Not really sure what you expect from this thread- you know you've made a mistake and you've said you'll do fine and probably get a first regardless, so surely it doesn't matter? Sure, it's frustrating but you definitely won't ever do that in exam again!

I was aiming for an high first, like 80%. It's still attainable but I'll have to do better in all five of my exams. If I don't get the 80% I'll just resit it.

Quick Reply