The Student Room Group

The big "critique my diet" thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RhiiSparks
Sounds like you're getting on okay! :biggrin: From what I've gathered from doing IF so far though, I think you're meant to change your macros dependent for rest days.
If I've understood what I've read correctly, more carbs and less fat should be had on workout days, and then less carbs (not sure about increasing fat) on rest days - still with plenty of protein obviously! :tongue:

Can anyone else confirm/correct this? :smile:

Yes, what you are saying is correct, however, due to the nature of items bought in my household, i'd get rather fat trying to meet my fat goals, as i'd be gorging on a cheesecake per week!

Can anyone give me suggestions for healthy fats?

So far i've got almonds and avocado's (not too keen on them).
Original post by Chicharito14
Yes, what you are saying is correct, however, due to the nature of items bought in my household, i'd get rather fat trying to meet my fat goals, as i'd be gorging on a cheesecake per week!

So far i've got almonds and avocado's (not too keen on them).

Olives, good quality peanut butter, most seeds (pumpkin, sunflower etc), salmon, tuna, mackerel (i can only eat the tomato sauce ones though! :tongue:), soymilk, almond milk, tofu, any type of nut to be honest :smile:

There's loads out there :biggrin:
Reply 202
Guys, I need some advice on loosing weight please.
I'm 5"2 and weigh around 7 1/2 stone. I HATE my stomach and thighs. I knowyou can't spot reduce fat, but I work out and I'm not seeing any results.(Although i've only been doing it a month.. other than my butt being firmer and tighter I can't see results. Too soon right?)

I go for a jog 3 times a week. I jog for about 30 minutes and during my jog I tend to sprint for say 30seconds, then resume my natural pace for a little while etc. When I get home, I alternate on days (as to not over work my muscles) a 30minute workout focusing on specific areas of my body. I.e - Bum, thigs and quads, I do an upper body 5x5x5 workout, butt workout etc. I basically focus on all areas of my body and use kettle bells and dumbells etc

I eat healthily (I think.?)
A typical day is along the lines of

Exercise-water

Breakfast
-40g of fruit and fibre cereal with added raisins, semi skimmed milk
-Banana

Lunch
-A small bowl of pasta
or
-Some vegtable soup with wholemeal bread and little butter
or
-Tuna salad sandwich on wholemeal bread
With
-A bio yoghurt and a piece of fruit.

Dinner
- Chicken or fish (Grilled usually) with an assortment of vegetables
or something like bulgear wheat or cous cous

After dinner snack
-Some kind of nuts and another piece of fruit.

I usually drink about 2-3 pints of water a day and a glass of milk

Counting calories I usually eat around 1200-1500 a day.

Is this a good exercise programme or not? I hope to see the benefits soon as I'd love a nice body. :smile:
I'm trying to build muscle and lose some weight. I'm vegetarian and I'm not sure whats the best time of the day/week to eat what...what do you guys think, and is it ok to have normal curry sauce? I'm trying to replace bread on the non workout days but need more ideas.

Workout days (4 times a week):

Milk + oats
Fruit
Beans on toast?
Almonds/Walnuts

Pasta with veggies (no olive oil)/sandwiches with brown bread, Quark and veggies
Pre workout protein shake + banana
Post workout protein shake

3 Eggs
Curry with vegetables (and tofu sometimes) - without rice
Beans/eggs on toast?

Non workout days(3 times a week):

Milk + oats
Fruits
Beans on toast sometimes
Walnuts/almonds

1 or 2 sandwiches with veggies sometimes
Fruit
?
3 Eggs

Curry with vegetables (and tofu sometimes) - without rice
Salad (had broccoli, carrot, peas and olive mix today) - without any dressing
Greek yoghurt (with what?)
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
From the sounds of it a lot of your problems stem from a poor-ish diet in general and/or are psychological.

Why/how are you eating extremely low carb meals? I would question the quality of the diet you're eating. A 600 calorie diet deficit plus exercise? You cannot get away from the fact that that is a high calorie deficit, of course you're not going to be feeling 100% whatever you eat.

You're also stressing yourself out about insignificant details like protein consumption. This is compounded by the fact that you've convinced yourself that protein is responsible and so every time that you feel below par it is attributed to your protein consumption even though there are countless other things going on in your life that could be responsible.

There is very little evidence of a significant benefit to consuming 1g/lb of protein compared to 1g/kg. There's been a couple of big, well conducted studies into weight loss and they failed to see a significant difference in weight and fat loss when comparing different high/low protein/fat/carbohydrate diets.

Sure plenty of people on the internet recommend 1g/lb of protein however that is largely based on anecdotal evidence. If you take a closer look many of the people that recommend or consume 1g/lb of protein still carry a significant amount of fat. In those where "it works" you'll find that they eat a relatively healthy calorie controlled diet, they're very active and/or they're training hard. On the other hand the average person who isn't eating especially well, isn't very active and isn't training very hard in which case they probably don't need that much protein.

Like I said earlier it is pointless worrying about. If you're eating a sensible calorie controlled diet and you're exercising regularly you will lose a significant amount of weight and fat regardless of whether you're consuming 1g/lb or 1g/kg.

Hi Choc,

for the past two weeks I have been eating either maintenance or more (on exercise days). I have been eating the recommended one g per pound of body weight protein amount with plenty of carbs, yet I have awful symptoms (lethargy, inability to concentrate or care, anxiety or short temper). When I really couldn't take it anymore (after 3 days) I reduced protein intake that day (around 60g) and that day I was normal. I am sorry but the correlation just seems so strong. I have no problems whatsoever if I eat less protein. Chronic stress can't just disappear like this?

I know you don't believe in this, but I simply can't think of anything else that could account for my symptoms
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/carbohydrate-intake-and-depression-qa.html

I feel I am in a bind as for the v heavy lifting I do, I feel I should be consuming more protein than 1g per kg yet I feel like a zombie if I do.
Original post by wholenewworld
Hi Choc,

for the past two weeks I have been eating either maintenance or more (on exercise days). I have been eating the recommended one g per pound of body weight protein amount with plenty of carbs, yet I have awful symptoms (lethargy, inability to concentrate or care, anxiety or short temper). When I really couldn't take it anymore (after 3 days) I reduced protein intake that day (around 60g) and that day I was normal. I am sorry but the correlation just seems so strong. I have no problems whatsoever if I eat less protein. Chronic stress can't just disappear like this?

I know you don't believe in this, but I simply can't think of anything else that could account for my symptoms
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/carbohydrate-intake-and-depression-qa.html

I feel I am in a bind as for the v heavy lifting I do, I feel I should be consuming more protein than 1g per kg yet I feel like a zombie if I do.

As I will say again, you aren't eating a particularly high protein or low carb diet. The likelihood that protein is responsible is very very very small.

Again, I suspect that there is a psychological component, whether that be a placebo effect of sorts, hypochondria and/or stress.

You have two options - visit your doctor or keep bumbling along doing what you're doing.
Reply 206
Anyone have any suggestions for 3300-3500cals? I have the following so far:

100g brown pasta w/ 150g chicken breast and veggies + lots of olive oil
6 slices of brown bread
2 Birds Eye chicken breasts
1/4 gallon whole milk w/ 100g instant oats
100g pistachios
Uncounted fruit

>3300cals, >150g fat, >330g carbs, ~160g protein

The main focus is on ease of cooking and eating since I will have to fit it in 8 hours for IF so if not eating that clean makes it easier to get down, then so be it. Meal timings (beyond IF) and distribution are irrelevant to me.

As for rest day, I will be taking out a few slices of bread, milk and pistachios leaving around 2000cals.

Original post by Chicharito14

Drown your other food in olive oil. It would only taste good on hot food and salads though.
(edited 11 years ago)
I need a definite answer on whether counting macronutrients helps with fat loss or not.
I recently joined myfitnesspal and without realising I started counting their recommended macronutrients (50/35/15 C/P/F, I think it was) and changed it to 40/40/20 because I felt my carb intake was too high and protein wasn't high enough.

So should I keep it at 40/40/20, change it, or forget it and just continue counting calories? (I consume 1200.)
I'm looking to lose about 10lbs in the next few months, and lose about 300-500 calories a day through cardio.
Reply 208
Original post by pineapple_thorns
I need a definite answer on whether counting macronutrients helps with fat loss or not.
I recently joined myfitnesspal and without realising I started counting their recommended macronutrients (50/35/15 C/P/F, I think it was) and changed it to 40/40/20 because I felt my carb intake was too high and protein wasn't high enough.

So should I keep it at 40/40/20, change it, or forget it and just continue counting calories? (I consume 1200.)
I'm looking to lose about 10lbs in the next few months, and lose about 300-500 calories a day through cardio.

40/40/20 +/-20 for any of them isn't a big change at all when you're only eating 1200 so it doesn't matter that much. Keep protein high and as long as you're eating the good kinds of fats and carbs, the ratio isn't so important.
Reply 209
Original post by Emmzaa
Guys, I need some advice on loosing weight please.
I'm 5"2 and weigh around 7 1/2 stone. I HATE my stomach and thighs. I knowyou can't spot reduce fat, but I work out and I'm not seeing any results.(Although i've only been doing it a month.. other than my butt being firmer and tighter I can't see results. Too soon right?)

I go for a jog 3 times a week. I jog for about 30 minutes and during my jog I tend to sprint for say 30seconds, then resume my natural pace for a little while etc. When I get home, I alternate on days (as to not over work my muscles) a 30minute workout focusing on specific areas of my body. I.e - Bum, thigs and quads, I do an upper body 5x5x5 workout, butt workout etc. I basically focus on all areas of my body and use kettle bells and dumbells etc

I eat healthily (I think.?)
A typical day is along the lines of

Exercise-water

Breakfast
-40g of fruit and fibre cereal with added raisins, semi skimmed milk
-Banana

Lunch
-A small bowl of pasta
or
-Some vegtable soup with wholemeal bread and little butter
or
-Tuna salad sandwich on wholemeal bread
With
-A bio yoghurt and a piece of fruit.

Dinner
- Chicken or fish (Grilled usually) with an assortment of vegetables
or something like bulgear wheat or cous cous

After dinner snack
-Some kind of nuts and another piece of fruit.

I usually drink about 2-3 pints of water a day and a glass of milk

Counting calories I usually eat around 1200-1500 a day.

Is this a good exercise programme or not? I hope to see the benefits soon as I'd love a nice body. :smile:

Wow, you must be super stick like, SERIOUSLY?!
Thoughts on carb back-loading anyone?
Reply 211
Original post by lilabs
Wow, you must be super stick like, SERIOUSLY?!

I'm really not! Otherwise I wouldn't do exercise as I hate it with a passion. The only exercise I like it walking to the fridge. :colone: I think because I'm so short and have high body fat percentage I'm not super stick like. :tongue:
Reply 212
Original post by Emmzaa
I'm really not! Otherwise I wouldn't do exercise as I hate it with a passion. The only exercise I like it walking to the fridge. :colone: I think because I'm so short and have high body fat percentage I'm not super stick like. :tongue:

I do not understand how you can weigh two stone less than me and not be a stick?! I'm 5 foot 1. and I'm podgy. how can you not be a stick if your taller and TWO STONE LESS :eek:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 213
Original post by lilabs
I do not understand how you can weigh two stone less than me and not be a stick?! I'm 5 foot 1. and I'm podgy. how can you not be a stick if your taller and TWO STONE LESS :eek:

This has baffled me. :confused: Maybe my small amount of fat just likes to stand out and get noticed. :tongue:
Yay for small people. :biggrin:
Reply 214
Original post by Emmzaa
This has baffled me. :confused: Maybe my small amount of fat just likes to stand out and get noticed. :tongue:
Yay for small people. :biggrin:

I love being small :smile: means we can wear big high heels and not look silly!
Reply 215
Hey all, this is just a mock up so any pointers will be greatly appreciated. My day starts at 0530 and finishes about 2300.

mixed fruit & banana smoothie, 2 slices of toast w/ nutella.
1/3 shake w/ milk.
fuel cereal w/ chocolate chunks, glass of OJ/AJ.
pasta w/ salmon fillet & be mixed veg, melon & grape & flapjack.
50g pistachio, 2/3 shake w/ milk.
50g pistachio, 500ml water, apple/ banana.
dinner.
1/2 shake w/ milk.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 216
Original post by jamieig33
Hey all, this is just a mock up so any pointers will be greatly appreciated. My day starts at 0530 and finishes about 2300.

mixed fruit & banana smoothie, 2 slices of toast w/ nutella.
1/3 shake w/ milk.
fuel cereal w/ chocolate chunks, glass of OJ/AJ.
pasta w/ salmon fillet & be mixed veg, melon & grape & flapjack.
50g pistachio, 2/3 shake w/ milk.
50g pistachio, 500ml water, apple/ banana.
dinner.
1/2 shake w/ milk.

You seem to overrely on shakes and drinks. I would try to eat more solid food.

Your diet also seems to be very sugary: smoothie, nutella, cereal, chocolate chunks, OJ, melon,grape, flapjack, apple
Reply 217
Original post by Mark85
You seem to overrely on shakes and drinks. I would try to eat more solid food.

Your diet also seems to be very sugary: smoothie, nutella, cereal, chocolate chunks, OJ, melon,grape, flapjack, apple

Ideally I would like to eat more solid foods but my day is generally very hectic and getting a shake down me is far easier than having a bite to eat. Also I'm not a big eater so even this diet is ambitious.

The smoothie is just mixed berrys, banana and ice - unless you mean the natural sugars inside the fruit? But generally there is quite a lot of sugar in the diet but that is because I have a sweet tooth and if I cut out that sugar, I would just end up buying a pack of haribo or something. I have relied on sugar for many years so I was just going to try and slowly cut down.

I am very appreciative of the advice, and I'm answering your post only to give insight as to why I chose what I did.

Reply 218
Ideally I would like to eat more solid foods but my day is generally very hectic and getting a shake down me is far easier than having a bite to eat. Also I'm not a big eater so even this diet is ambitious.

Fair enough if you are in the army or fire service or something but otherwise you should really try and make time to eat decent meals.

The smoothie is just mixed berrys, banana and ice - unless you mean the natural sugars inside the fruit? But generally there is quite a lot of sugar in the diet but that is because I have a sweet tooth and if I cut out that sugar, I would just end up buying a pack of haribo or something. I have relied on sugar for many years so I was just going to try and slowly cut down.

Fair enough. Was just pointing it out. And yes, I meant the sugar in the fruit - you have a lot of it once you include the smoothies and OJ/AJ.
Right, I'm trying to lose weight (got a stone to go) and I'm sorting out my exercise but I really need someone to tell me what to do about my diet.

I'll give a couple of examples of what I'd eat on a daily basis, cos obviously it varies :smile:

Breakfast: porridge with soy milk/soy hot chocolate

Snack: 2 x digestive biscuits/couple of teaspoons peanut butter

Lunch: chicken couscous/vegetable rice (whatever I have at lunch, I always have with broccoli, green beans and peas - although this may have to change when I'm back at uni.)
Quick point - If anyone could suggest decent lunchbox ideas for then I'd be very grateful because it's something I'm really struggling with)

Snack: rice cake with houmous/fairy cake

Dinner: grilled chicken and chorizo with rice/grilled halloumi with rice (again, always served with a selection of vegetables)

Exercise: Boxing/sparring - 2 x 45mins p/week, Spinning - 2 x 30 mins p/week

So I know my snacks aren't the best, but I'd really like some suggestions for how to improve on them because I find it quite difficult to find things that are quick and healthy - also fruit is a no go cos I find it makes my teeth really sensitive and quite sore, maybe psychological, I dunno.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply