The Student Room Group

Uni asking for bank details over the phone?

Hey guys. A few days ago I had a phonecall from a lady who said she was dealing with my Uni accommodation. She said she hadn't received the email with my bank details that was due in, this confused me for one as I definitely sent the email to the right adress. I said I would re-send the email when I got home but she asked for the details over the phone. Naiive as I am I gave her the details, and it actually took me this long to realise that might not be a good idea?
Can anyone help?
Reply 1
And if this thread is in the wrong place could someone please move it? I really need advice on if I'm at risk!
Reply 2
Original post by trudy13
Hey guys. A few days ago I had a phonecall from a lady who said she was dealing with my Uni accommodation. She said she hadn't received the email with my bank details that was due in, this confused me for one as I definitely sent the email to the right adress. I said I would re-send the email when I got home but she asked for the details over the phone. Naiive as I am I gave her the details, and it actually took me this long to realise that might not be a good idea?
Can anyone help?

It wasn't a good idea at all, because you don't know who's on the other line, definitely call up your bank and inform them of this, that no transfer of money is allowed without your prior permission.
And also call up your uni's accommodation department to make sure if they did call you.
Reply 3
Phone the uni on a number you know is them and ask whether it was them, first thing tomorrow. If it wasn't contact your bank immediately! Also keep an eye on your statements. If you want to be extra sure you could transfer all money out of the account you gave her tonight, if you have online banking.

In future, if you think someone may genuinely need details over the phone (always a good idea to avoid if you can) always ask if you can phone them back. Then you know it is who they claim to be. If it is really them they should have no problem at all with this.

Don't feel too silly though, it's easy to make mistakes like this!

xxx
Reply 4
I just didn't think at the time, ahh, hope it was them! I'm gonna have to wait until the morning to ring now :frown:
Reply 5
And I knew at some point I'd regret not setting up online banking! I don't think I had hardly anything in my account, but they'd still have my details.
Reply 6
Original post by trudy13
And I knew at some point I'd regret not setting up online banking! I don't think I had hardly anything in my account, but they'd still have my details.

Don't panic too much, if it is a scam you should hopefully be able to get the money back from your bank anyway. And it's likely, since they'd be organised, that they'll only have done small test purchases by this point anyway (if they aren't the uni that is).

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Reply 7
Call your bank first thing tomorrow and tell them that any transactions are not to be made without them phoning you first. Then ring the accommodation dept at uni to make sure they did call you.
Reply 8
Was it the University of Nigeria?
Reply 9
Original post by Podcaster
Was it the University of Nigeria?

I would not worry if it was
did they begin the telephone call...

"Hello friend........."

commence kicking yourself
Original post by trudy13
Can anyone help?

Call the uni (contact details should be in their emails) tomorrow and check that the call was legit.

You were right that giving out personal info to cold callers is not a good idea, but there isn't much a fraudster could do with your bank details alone, by which I mean bank name, address, account# and sort-code. If you told them a PIN number, or if they had access to other personal data, it could also be more serious, so the advice to keep an eye on your bank statement is a good one.
Reply 12
Rang the Uni today and they said that it was them that rung, I'm so glad!! Thanks for the advice guys!

Quick Reply

Latest