The Student Room Group

Dealing with an elderly relative with dementia

My grandmother has recently be diagnosed with Alzhimers dementia. Does anyone on here have experience dealing with this?
Neither one of us wants me to quit my career plans and she's okay, for now, both mentally and financially.
Does anyone have any experience in this circumstance? I just want advice on how to source support for her, esp when I'm @ uni. I'll obviously try to send as much money her way when I'm in a position to do so.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I was a carer for older people with dementia. When I have time I will reply properly, it's a bit late at the moment. But, talking to her is the most important thing. Also, get her doing things in a routine now so it becomes second nature. The automatic processes aren't forgotten because they don't need to be remembered. For example, have you ever flicked on the kettle and made a cup of tea unconsciously while your busy thinking about something else? Carers are useful for making sure the water is in the kettle, and there is milk. They can make sure the instruments are in place for the routine to be carried out. Sorry it's late, probably not making sense.
Original post by sazzlepopz
I was a carer for older people with dementia. When I have time I will reply properly, it's a bit late at the moment. But, talking to her is the most important thing. Also, get her doing things in a routine now so it becomes second nature. The automatic processes aren't forgotten because they don't need to be remembered. For example, have you ever flicked on the kettle and made a cup of tea unconsciously while your busy thinking about something else? Carers are useful for making sure the water is in the kettle, and there is milk. They can make sure the instruments are in place for the routine to be carried out. Sorry it's late, probably not making sense.

Thanks. I feel that the problem for me now is that my own personal feelings get mixed up. Also, she's pretty much okay atm. She has loss of memory but it isn't that unclear.
Reply 3
Original post by keromedic
I feel that the problem for me now is that my own personal feelings get mixed up.

If you want to talk about them, go ahead. PM me if that is better. Do you have anyone to talk to in person? Sometimes just saying things out loud, or even typing it out can help you process them.
Original post by sazzlepopz
If you want to talk about them, go ahead. PM me if that is better. Do you have anyone to talk to in person? Sometimes just saying things out loud, or even typing it out can help you process them.

Not really. My family is quite separate and I'm not close to anyone irl.
Update: my grandmother has been staying with me for a couple days. Things were generally 'okay' except that she kept detracting my focus on study due to her depressive episodes.
Tonight she requested that I call an ambulance. I really didn't want to as her symptoms imo didn't warrant the attention of Emergency Services but I did so anyway.
A healthcare professional should call within an hour.
Update: a non emergency ambulance is going to come in 1-4 hrs. I have to accompany my gran, out of my personal duty. But if this is a regular thing, I need to change my work habits in order to cope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending