The Student Room Group

Architecture A levels

Architecture is not just drawing and awareness. It's like an artistic form of engineering.

Maths
Physics
Art
Further maths if you need a fourth.
Original post by RadwanBakkali
graphic design isnt accepted as an alternative to art, maths also isnt my strongest subject, I wouldnt feel confident taking it on as an a level but the majority of universities ask for art as a requirement only. :s-smilie:

you can neg me all you want, but i warn you - there will be lots of maths on the course itself.

As far as i know UCL is the only university that requires art, because it takes a much more artistic approach. By not doing maths you are limiting the universities you can really apply to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi,
I've already create this thread before, just wanted to post it on different sections to get an array of opinions, would appreciate any advice.
I am completing my GCSE at the moment and moving onto A levels in September.
I want to study architecture at university and was wondering if the A level combination I am currently thinking of is a good combination. I am aiming to study at UCL, The Bartlett.
A levels:
Art < essential
History < to develop writing style and research techniques, handy when studying a history and theory module at degree level.
Geography < to develop environmental awareness (hazards/climates/agriculture/ecosystems/global development etc)
Economics < develop economical awareness

I feel my subject choices will be useful in an architectural environment. I have an interest in architecture which considers the environment as well as society, this is reflected in my subject choices and since maths isn't my strongest subject, I wouldnt feel confident taking it on as an A level whilst art is the main requirement for admission into an architecture degree, I thought that an Economics a level would be a good alternative as it blends mathematics with social concerns and topics.
Are my subject choices good?
Will they allow me to apply to top architecture universities?
Would you recommend any other combination?
also, How hard are my subject choices? (workload etc.)
I would appreciate any help,
Thanks

Maths < Important
Physics
Art
A humanity [namely from English Literature or History]
Hi,
I've already create this thread before, just wanted to post it on different sections to get an array of opinions, would appreciate any advice.
I am completing my GCSE at the moment and moving onto A levels in September.
I want to study architecture at university and was wondering if the A level combination I am currently thinking of is a good combination. I am aiming to study at UCL, The Bartlett.
A levels:
Art < essential
History < to develop writing style and research techniques, handy when studying a history and theory module at degree level.
Geography < to develop environmental awareness (hazards/climates/agriculture/ecosystems/global development etc)
Economics < develop economical awareness

I feel my subject choices will be useful in an architectural environment. I have an interest in architecture which considers the environment as well as society, this is reflected in my subject choices and since maths isn't my strongest subject, I wouldnt feel confident taking it on as an A level whilst art is the main requirement for admission into an architecture degree, I thought that an Economics a level would be a good alternative as it blends mathematics with social concerns and topics.
Are my subject choices good?
Will they allow me to apply to top architecture universities?
Would you recommend any other combination?
also, How hard are my subject choices? (workload etc.)
I would appreciate any help,
Thanks

Your 4 AS Levels should be FINE Art, Physics, mathematics and History (preferably History of Art) or Further Maths, History > Further Mathematics.

If you don't take all 4 to A2, Fine Art, Mathematics and either Physics or History for your third. Remember, not statistics, only mechanic Mathematics.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
you don't really need geology but i think you need english
Reply 5
Best combo:

Maths
Physics
Art
IT

Posted from TSR Mobile
an ideal set of a levels for architecture would probably be at least two of the three:
Art
Maths
Physics
Plus one or two of the three from below:
History
Geography
English Language
hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending