The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

A Week in the Life: SOAS edition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JaneMuffin
a week in the life of SOAS LLB Law student PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!L

This is about two years late, but hey this is a sticky after all. I'm a 1st year LLB student, and total contact hours for a week is 12 (pretty standard amongst Uni of London law schools afaik)

Monday:
I've actually only got one tutorial on Mondays, and that's criminal law. Usually I spend the morning preparing for the tutorial, having done some of the reading on Sunday night. No lectures on Monday either.

Tuesdays:
This is always an awkward day. I have an ILLP ( intro to law and legal processes) lecture from 11-1pm, then a massive gap between then and 4, which is when my LSAA (Legal Systems of Africa) tutorial starts. Needless to say, those 3 hours are perfect for doing the set work. Readings for LSAA can be a pain, since you're effectively dealing with a new concept/ legal system every week, and the material is very different from your standard article on contract/criminal.

I've also got fencing at ULU from 7-8:30pm, so another fat gap of two hours after the end of the tutorial. Luckily this all happens at Russell Square (for prospective law students reading this, you might be lucky and get to have a single campus since we're moving into Senate House next year).

Wednesday
Free day, although Law Clinic is on this day (where older students help 1st/2nd years out with their work. A bit hit and miss, but still nice seeing as they're giving up their free time to do it.

Thursdays
The dreaded Vernon-only day (our Vernon Sq campus is just not a nice place to be in). ILLP tutorial from 10-11, Contract lecture from 11-1, LSAA lecture from 3-5, and Mooting lectures from 6-8 (time slot for this changes every year, and mooting finishes in Feb). As you can see, this is an incredibly packed day. The silver lining is the good food around the area (Sen Viet for good Vietnamese food and Yum Yum for a cheap but filling char kuay teow).

Friday
9am criminal lecture. As you might have guessed, this isn't exactly the most well attended lecture, although our lecturer is incredibly hyper and speaks at the pace of a Shinkansen, which help to keep you focused. There's also free tea and biscuits from some American evangelists who wait outside the building after the lecture, so it's not too bad. 2-3pm tutorial for contract back at Russell Sq.

This is the gist of it, although writing this at 3am with a contract coursework essay due on Friday means I might not be as comprehensive as I intended. And don't forget extra-curricular stuff; I've been in two mooting competitions, one inter uni debate and just chosen to edit the law journal, not to mention all the careers events that are on all year. (Hint: grab as much freebies as you can in the law fair!! Never had to spend a penny on stationery since that day lol)

PM me if you have any questions about SOAS law :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Hi guys ! Could any Study of Religion students at SOAS do a "Week in the life"? I'd really appreciate it !!!!!!!!
Reply 122
Helloooo I know this is kinda dead looking at how far back some of the replies go but if anyone see this any time soon please could they reply? I really want to know how English is or Korean and this is a long shot but Korean and English because I would love to that so much! Thank you in advance :smile:
A year on, going to bump this up ;D It's been great to read, so I'd like to read more! Applying for BA Study of Religions and Politics this year. I'm quite worried about making friends if I go to SOAS, also read some bad things about Dinwiddy.

Anyone offer their experience in any of these areas? Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by Cal-lum
A year on, going to bump this up ;D It's been great to read, so I'd like to read more! Applying for BA Study of Religions and Politics this year. I'm quite worried about making friends if I go to SOAS, also read some bad things about Dinwiddy.

Anyone offer their experience in any of these areas? Thanks guys :smile:

Hey @Cal-lum

I just saw your question. I'm sorry no one has gotten in contact with you. Let me reassure you, making friends at SOAS will probably be the easiest thing to do! We're a close-knit community. The beauty about SOAS is that it is very easy to get involved and very easy to be integrated into life at SOAS. With over 160 societies in the student union (SU), there's things and events Monday to Sunday that can cater to your sporty, artistic, historic or cultural side. It doesn't just start and end in the SU, we're part of the University of London, meaning there's 18 other unis you can party at, interact with, or attend events at. You'll have plenty of opportunities to talk to and mingle with people.

To get a real feel for our campus and to show you exactly what I mean, you should come down for an open day! Have you had a chance to visit us yet?

~Mike
This thread seems dead, but maybe someone sees this - anybody doing CHinese and International Relations, or Hebrew and Arabic? :smile:
I was wondering if someone could do a "Week in the Life" of a BA POLITICS AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS student? I would be eternally grateful. Thanks.
Anyone wanna do a Week in the Life for LLB Law? :smile: Or maybe @SOAS Student Helper could help out?
Original post by Annie881
Anyone wanna do a Week in the Life for LLB Law? :smile: Or maybe @SOAS Student Helper could help out?

A week in the life of an LLB Law student will differ week to week and student to student, but here's mine...

I have just completed my second year at SOAS, and have studied Public Law, Law of Property (now called Common Law, Equitable and Comparative Property 1: Property Interests),Tort Law and EU Law & Human Rights. These modules (with the exception of Human Rights) are all compulsory if you want to graduate with a qualifying law degree, but rest assured - you get plenty of module choices in your final year!

Mondays - Off! (I didn't have any classes on a Monday). Instead, I used this time to do legal work experience or reading for tutorials/essay preparation. Having one day off per week has proved to be extremely useful. While there is no guarantee that you would also have a day off per week, most students do. It just depends on the timing of your tutorials and lectures.

Tuesdays - EU/Human Rights lecture 9-11am. For my cohort the EU element constituted a half module, as did the Human Rights part. One subject taught in Term 1 and the other in Term 2. I then had a short gap until 2pm when I had my Tort Law tutorial.

Wednesdays - Property Law lecture - 9-11am - The School of Law seems to like those 9am starts! Wednesdays could then easily become a right off for me (study-wise) during the first part of the academic year. This was due to a combination of spending too much time drinking tea in the SU or outside with friends, running a society which I was part of last year, and completing the jobs that are separate to university that I needed to do each week, eg food shopping. I would then go home and prep for my Thursday and Friday tutorials.

Thursdays - Thursdays would begin with a lie in during term 1, but no time for that in term 2! I then had an EU tutorial from 1-2pm with around only 6 other students. The class sizes are small at SOAS anyway, with a good staff-student ratio, but this class was smaller than normal. This was a good thing as it meant easier group discussions and debates around the topics. I then had a one hour gap before my Public Law lecture from 3-5pm in the Khalili Lecture Theatre. (The best lecture theatre in my opinion, and yes, these things do make a difference!).

Fridays - 9am Public Law tutorial. I had mixed feelings about this tutorial all year long. It was an earlyish start on a Friday morning each week, and we were required to do a lot of reading in preparation, however, the tutor was absolutely fantastic, so this made up for it!

I then had to go straight into my Tort Law lecture from 11-1pm, and in the afternoon a Property Law tutorial from 3-4pm. Then - freedom! The weekend began...

In amongst the contact hours people play sports, study in the library, spend time in the students union or elsewhere on campus (the Japanese Roof Garden being a personal favourite), study a language, attend talks, or take part in society activities. Of course, many students also have to work to cover their living costs, as do I, so there is that too.

Ultimately, you will get out of SOAS what you put in, but there is something here for everyone!
(edited 6 years ago)
can someone do one for International Relations or Politics and International Relations???
Heyy this is six years later but asides the exceptional Japanese course how was the university life in general? (facilities, politics in soas etc....)
I am thinking about firming edinburgh but the IR and Japanese course in soas and leeds is interesting too.

Original post by Mani Katti
Righty I thought I'd bump this because I'm massively procrastinating and thought that it'd be interesting to do an up to date version of this ^^

I'm a BA Japanese single honours student and because I did A-level I'm in AJ - we're just about at the right pace in AJ for people who have a good AS or full A-level - so if you've got prior knowledge it's accomodated. There's still two levels - Elementary Japanese (EJ) and Accelerated Japanese (AJ). I don't think we've got anyone with just a GCSE in our class this year unlike previous years where people have said they struggled to keep up which seems like a better way round of doing things - we've already covered pretty much the entire GCSE spec and we've gone at a very fast past so if you have a GCSE my advice would be to ask to be put in EJ. You get more contact hours and more time in your exam if you're EJ too.

It is possible to skip the first year entirely and although I know 600 Kanji (just over what you need for first year) and my grammar's fairly good, I've actually learned new Kanji, new grammar and VASTLY improved my speaking and grammatical accuracy (I've never had a speaking exam to prepare for so my spoken Japanese was atrocious). Unless you've very closely followed both volumes of the Minna no Nihongo texts (our textbooks) until completion or you've got significant experience of living in Japan I'd advise against going second year.

As I'm single honours so I get one open option a year (essentially anything I want to do not necessarily in the Japanese department but you can if you want) - you cannot take a language as an open option in your first year (like I was hoping, grr) so that's something to bear in mind. Dual honours do 2 units of Japanese language (or 1.5 if AJ plus one 'half unit' ie something that lasts only one term), single honours do that plus a unit of culture.

Monday

11am-12pm: Weekly test with Kawabata sensei. Covers all grammar, kanji, translation etc. up to and including what you've learned. Lots of horrible bits of colloquial and idiosyncratic Japanese sneak in that nobody can remember so you have to actually revise for this to do well.

12pm-1pm: Grammar 1. Covers a chapter of Minna (occasionally two), including grammar, vocab and things like correct particle usage. Also we usually practice what we've learned. Kawabata also takes us for this and she's honestly one of the nicest people I've ever met - if you get her you'll love her very quickly!

Usually afternoon is spent working on Japanese homework and I get some reading done in the evening.

Tuesday

I try and get up and do some work/reading/washing in the morning. Usually I just cook myself a mahoosive breakky and go back to sleep though >.>

1-2pm: Intro to Southeast Asian history lecture with Mandy. This is my open option and although the reading is VERY heavy for history courses it's so interesting - Mandy is a really, really good lecturer and such a nice person and is really really knowledgable, as well as approachable. Definitely take this if you're stuck for open options and you don't fancy 4 units of Japanese!

2-3pm: Tutorial for ^. Usually we just criticise the readings we (didn't always) do and talk about how to prepare for essays and presentations.

I do an evening class in French to keep it up so I don't get home until 9:30pm usually, so I spend the afternoon catching up on reading.

Wednesday (aka day of death)

10am-11am: Writing class. Normally only goes for half an hour - usually we talk about 'how' to set things out, spaces, paragraphs, numbers, contexts...not a lot to do really. We have a new teacher this year (Hori) who is always so full of energy and enthusiastic, she's so lovely!

11am-12pm: Kanji with the very famous Kashiwagi sensei. Go through new Katakana words and 20 Kanji/25 Kanji after 7 or so weeks per week. Usually involves her pretending to be a horse, telling us about her husband being her prisoner or her making jokes about mothers and nipples. Hilarious class, and surprisingly productive. You may find her a bit difficult at first, especially if you've got prior knowledge as you have to go to her Hiragana class at the start of the year (trust me it won't be considered neat enough :L) but if you keep on top of her work she'll quickly become one of your favourite teachers ever.

12pm-1pm: Grammar 2: same as the Monday class, just the next chapter of Minna. Ocasionally two.

1pm-2pm: Speaking class - I've always lost concentration by this point after 3 hours with no break so can NEVER concentrate >_<. Involves role plays, scripted scenarios and an emphasis on colloquial Japanese, also with Hori sensei.

4pm-5pm: Clinic class - essentially this is an hour where you can go to ask questions to teachers, do your homework with people etc. I really recommend going to this even if you're not struggling because it's an extra hour of time in which you can pick your teachers' brains and if nobody really turns up (which is usually the case) you can make the most of it - yesterday I had a conversation with Kawabata for about 45 minutes purely in plain form in Japanese and I felt so much improved after it, it really is worth going!

The majority of our homework is due Thursday, so I don't normally leave until 6:30pm and work with some friends in the library/bar and go to the clinic half way through.

Thursday

3-5pm: Issues in the Study of Language Learning with Dr Pizziconi. A lot of people really find this class dull and unless you're massively into linguistics I wouldn't take this - I find it really interesting though. I finish this at the end of term though - it's my half unit option. Covers theoretical and practical issues as to why people can/cannot learn languages. I love Barbs (don't call her that though, she doesn't know that's her nickname, you'll see what I mean if you take this in your first lecture :P) as she's one of these really chill people who's quite happy to have a bit of banter with you over a fag at the end of the lecture :P.

Friday

9am-10am: Reading class (so hard to get up for D: ) with Takahashi sensei. There's a vocab test every week (thankfully Japanese to English), dictations and passages of text, song lyrics, articles etc. with follow up true/false/short answer questions. Feels a bit like a gameshow because every time we get something right she goes BINGBONG which is quite amusing.

10am-11am: Translation class with Kawabats. Usually the English we get given to translate is very poor so this class ends up being very unintentionally funny ("I'm just going to Masako's house to enjoy ourselves this weekend, please won't you join us?":wink:. Every week we have to prepare sentences beforehand and half of us have to go write them on the board - to make up the next hour we translate stuff with particularly difficult grammar that we make up on the spot. One time she asked us to "fetch her a chihuahua" which was in the most bizarre location...a really relaxed class which is a nice end to the Japanese language week.

1pm-4pm: Aspects of Japanese Culture. Oh god this is hard to get through, 3 hours and on a Friday afternoon >.> Alan's a lovely bloke bless him but he makes so many unintentional (but sometimes very intentional) innuendos, and I have no ability to laugh quietly so my friends make it their objective to make me laugh the WHOLE WAY THROUGH this. It's interesting though when I do pay attention (unless it's about religion as someone else does that and she says 'mm?' at the end of all of her sentences - 278 times in the last lecture...we got bored haha) and he's good at explaining things if you can pay attention so try not to laugh at the way he says "European" or "power" (or the one time he said "powerful poetry about powdery clouds" - "pahhrful pohhtry abohhht pohhhdrie clohhhds":wink: and you'll be fine.

Weekends are spent doing homework and the remaining readings that I didn't get the chance to do in the week. Every week you can expect 2 hours of Minna questions, 2 hours of Kanji, an hour of grammar/speaking prep, an hour of translation, an hour of reading, an hour of writing and half an hour to correct your quiz - so 8 or 9 hours of formal homework plus another 2-3 hours to make your own notes and learn stuff. This isn't a joke - this is quite intense so be prepared to work hard every week! Sadly this means you probably won't be able to go out every weekend 3 nights in a row haha but it's important to set some aside to just blow off some steam otherwise the stress can very quickly overwhelm you. On top of Japanese you can expect anywhere between 50-200 pages a week of academic reading for your non language modules, the amount depending on what you take and how well written about your subject is.

If anyone's got any questions about SOAS, Dinwiddy, Japanese or London please either quote me for a reply or PM me ^_^.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending