Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
sidekick
i've got one, i'm eating it now! :biggrin: a mini one, from a bag of sweeties.
you can have one too... mm virtual refreshment :p:

Ooh, yay, thanks. :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 81
Becca
Ooh, yay, thanks. :biggrin:

a pleasure, a pleasure.

about to start on the drumstick lollies.

advice for new durhamers - take sweets and biscuits. you will always have friends. :biggrin:
slighlty random.. honesly ther is method in my madness.

formals and what not.
do you pay extra to attend?
and seen as thers 2 each week at castle isnt this a bit costly.
also what on earth do u wear.
i know some colleges you wear gowns..
but what UNDER the gowns?

:smile:
x

also how many balls and things are ther?
so i know how many dresses i need to get over the next yeaar.

merci :smile:
Reply 83
princess.sparkle
slighlty random.. honesly ther is method in my madness.

formals and what not.

No, unless you're a liver out in which case you generally do because you need to pay for the food

and seen as thers 2 each week at castle isnt this a bit costly.
You don't have to go to all of them. there are 2 a week at castle as it is a big college so it allows everyone to go quite regularly

also what on earth do u wear.
i know some colleges you wear gowns..
but what UNDER the gowns?
Clothes, ha! Suit, shirt, tie for the guys, smart clothes for the girl - not a whole ball-gown thing, but just like a normal dress, or smart top and trousers...basically NO DENIM and you're fine :wink:

also how many balls and things are ther?
Most colleges will have some sort of Winter type ball, then one in the 2nd term, and of course a Summer Ball after exams
Reply 84
dobbs
No, unless you're a liver out in which case you generally do because you need to pay for the food

(just to be contrary) not at john's. it's all free baby. although there are less livers-out places. competition is FIERCE :biggrin: hehe
Reply 85
At Castle there are three balls, one in each term. Who gets tickets is determined by a rather complicated priority system, but as a first year you should get to go to all three unless you're really unlucky. By far the best is of course the June Ball, in the summer term. Formals are on tuesdays and thursdays, and are free. You don't have to go, but most people go fairly often because they're so good :biggrin:

So have you decided to apply to Castle then?
Reply 86
As another note - ALL balls at Trevs are available to everyone - if you want to go, you can go - no priority system or anything like that. So you can always be assured that if you want to go to a ball with all of your mates then you can! :biggrin:

So have you decided to apply to Trevs then?

:wink:
Well, all formals at Aidan's are available to everyone, but you have to pay £2 for a liver-in and £4 for a liver-out, plus £5 for wine (you're not allowed to take your own bottle) and its sign up online and first come first served usually. And the food usually isn't THAT bad.

Wanna come to Aidan's?
Reply 88
What about cuths and self-caterers paying?
croissantfever
Well, all formals at Aidan's are available to everyone, but you have to pay £2 for a liver-in and £4 for a liver-out, plus £5 for wine (you're not allowed to take your own bottle) and its sign up online and first come first served usually. And the food usually isn't THAT bad.

Aidan's formal food is better than Hatfield's(proven on experience). That said I don't like having to buy college wine so I do prefer my own college for that.
Where's is a good place to go on a friday night ?
Reply 91
Planet of Sound is good, and Studio do a good student only night on top floor! Though neither of them are running tonight I don't think, just in case you meant for tonight. On a friday when the students are away, Loveshack is the only place to be.
Reply 92
The library,it's raucous.
Where is loveshack ?
Shop names and restaurants would be a better rather than street names when giving directions
Reply 94
Lovehack is at the bottom of Claypath, as part of the new development near the Gala. There aren't any shops near to it, but there are restaurants like Nandos, Chiquitos, Ask and the Slug and Lettuce.
thanks
i asked this question on the 'what to bring' thread, but noone answered :frown:! Is is a good idea to bring a mini-mini fridge, just to shove in a small thing of milk and some choccie? or is it completely pointless? thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 97
I think a lot of colleges don't allow people to bring mini fridges, probably because of fire hazards etc... They also use up a lot of energy. You probably won't need one as your corridor will have a shared fridge.

What I did last year (as a result of being to lazy to walk down the corridor to get milk for tea/coffee), was to buy a box of mini long life milk cartons (like what you'd get in MacDonalds etc...). They're handy for hot drinks and don't go off quickly :smile:!
Reply 98
My mini mini fridge never really got cold, and I felt guilty of all the energy it used up :redface:
Reply 99
loggins
I think a lot of colleges don't allow people to bring mini fridges, probably because of fire hazards etc... They also use up a lot of energy. You probably won't need one as your corridor will have a shared fridge.

What I did last year (as a result of being to lazy to walk down the corridor to get milk for tea/coffee), was to buy a box of mini long life milk cartons (like what you'd get in MacDonalds etc...). They're handy for hot drinks and don't go off quickly :smile:!

VERY useful. although i used to steal loads from the guests staying in college/from ikea/any kind of cafe.
thieving is FREE.

:biggrin:

Quick Reply