The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Woo.... Yay..... Finally!

Now I can't be assed :biggrin:
Reply 21
GrahamFromJeremyKyle
The thing I have just been on had no progress bar... AHHH what have I done?

I have completely hijacked this thread, sorry.

Mine didn't work at first then suddenly did lol.
Reply 22
I thought they assessed you based on THIS tax year?
I registered, but I want to use this tax year's income etc to apply for next years support, which is what I thought we did :s:
I assume we can still apply in April once this tax year is over, does anyone know?
Reply 23
They changed it I think its last tax year.
Orthala

Haha, that rules. My stepdad took a year out that year, woop woop :smile:
Reply 25
Orthala

Seriously? If so, that sucks. :frown:
Reply 26
I think. Wait for Taiko to get back. Its in his big thread somewhere but I cannot find it atm.
Reply 27
Ok I will attempt to answer some questions.

It took an hour and a half because my parents also needed to fill in some sections on the Website. After you complete your part there are yet more forms that your parents have to fill out. Do not worry if you've completed your part and not had to enter any information about your parents income, this comes after, and this is for your parents to fill in. They will need to create accounts of their own on the Student Finance Website, and then they will register as a supporter. They then enter the ALIAS ID which is an ID that you get after you complete your part. This enables the system to link your parents accounts and yours.

Also to the person who said about the UCAS functionality. It didn't work for me either, I had to enter everything manually. It came up with my insurance choice and not my firm. Also my course wasn't listed so I again had to enter it all manually, this is why it took so long.

In my personal opinion I'd only bother applying when you know what your firm/insurance choice is. Because if you enter the uni now, you'll have to change it later, and that would involve a lot of hassle having to ring up Student Finance (Who are known for their bad customer service).

For the price of tuition fees you have to look on your firm choices Website, it should have all of the information there. And also make sure that the information is for the 09/10 year and not the 08/09 year, because some universities have yet to update their finance information from last year.

I only had to enter information for my firm choice. I'm guessing that if on results day you miss your firm but get into your insurance you have to ring up Student Finance to change the information.

Anyway yeah I have tried to answer your questions to the best of my ability. If anyone else has any questions about the application process then just ask (remember to quote my post) that way I will know you are directly asking me.

Thanks,
EagleHawk
Reply 28
Orthala
I think. Wait for Taiko to get back. Its in his big thread somewhere but I cannot find it atm.

Ah ok thanks :smile:
I've been trying to find out for ages I can wait a bit longer haha :smile:
Reply 29
I've put my tuition fee's as £3225, but when it calculated the loan amount for me it said I'd have £1005 (approx).... How does that work? I'm a little worried!
Reply 30
olivermc
I've put my tuition fee's as £3225, but when it calculated the loan amount for me it said I'd have £1005 (approx).... How does that work? I'm a little worried!

lol somethings wrong there....
EagleHawk
Ok I will attempt to answer some questions.

It took an hour and a half because my parents also needed to fill in some sections on the Website. After you complete your part there are yet more forms that your parents have to fill out. Do not worry if you've completed your part and not had to enter any information about your parents income, this comes after, and this is for your parents to fill in. They will need to create accounts of their own on the Student Finance Website, and then they will register as a supporter. They then enter the ALIAS ID which is an ID that you get after you complete your part. This enables the system to link your parents accounts and yours.

Also to the person who said about the UCAS functionality. It didn't work for me either, I had to enter everything manually. It came up with my insurance choice and not my firm. Also my course wasn't listed so I again had to enter it all manually, this is why it took so long.

In my personal opinion I'd only bother applying when you know what your firm/insurance choice is. Because if you enter the uni now, you'll have to change it later, and that would involve a lot of hassle having to ring up Student Finance (Who are known for their bad customer service).

For the price of tuition fees you have to look on your firm choices Website, it should have all of the information there. And also make sure that the information is for the 09/10 year and not the 08/09 year, because some universities have yet to update their finance information from last year.

I only had to enter information for my firm choice. I'm guessing that if on results day you miss your firm but get into your insurance you have to ring up Student Finance to change the information.

Anyway yeah I have tried to answer your questions to the best of my ability. If anyone else has any questions about the application process then just ask (remember to quote my post) that way I will know you are directly asking me.

Thanks,
EagleHawk

Thank you! You have put my mind at ease and now I understand everything. :smile:
Reply 32
Orthala is correct. You'll still be able to apply for current income assessments though. It's all really up in the air at the moment I'm afraid, because they are still chopping and changing things around.

Honest opinion though is to not apply now. Wait til Monday morning, I'll have the release notes and be able to go into where the errors are. Continuers should be automatically linked to their previous course, so I have a feeling maybe the HEI database isn't fully updated.
Reply 33
Taiko
Orthala is correct. You'll still be able to apply for current income assessments though. It's all really up in the air at the moment I'm afraid, because they are still chopping and changing things around.

Honest opinion though is to not apply now. Wait til Monday morning, I'll have the release notes and be able to go into where the errors are. Continuers should be automatically linked to their previous course, so I have a feeling maybe the HEI database isn't fully updated.

LOL opps....
Reply 34
olivermc

That happened on mine, but later on in my application there was another sort of calculator thing and it said that I would recieve the full amount. To be honest the site isn't very clear. But yeh I believe that later on you check a box saying: I wish to take out the full tution fee loan. I think the amount listed there is the minimum amount you can loan (because some people only partially loan and their parents pay the rest)
Reply 35
I'll post up any relevent updates. Now back to arguing on MSE about people incorrectly stating it's 4 years entitlement and not the correct calculation.
Reply 36
Taiko

Wouldn't it make sense for them to test the application process before putting it live? I mean you wouldn't publish an unfinished book. What's the difference with a website? :rolleyes:
Reply 37
Taiko
I'll post up any relevent updates. Now back to arguing on MSE about people incorrectly stating it's 4 years entitlement and not the correct calculation.

Don't be mean to OlderNotWiser, hes a nice bloke lol
Reply 38
"You may already be registered
The information you have provided indicates that your details may already be on the Student Finance Direct system. You may therefore already have the appropriate ART ID and passwords to enable you to login.

If you do not have this login information, please telephone the Customer Support Office on 08456 077 577 (open daily from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5:30pm Saturday and Sunday, local call rates apply).

Your registration has been referred to the Customer Support Office for handling. Please call our agents on the number shown to have your registration confirmed.
Home Page"

Am i the only person to get this message? I went to uni 8 years ago so obviously don't have my effin ART ID!!!! Currently in a queue waiting for a callback (like that's gonna happen!)
Hello! I just signed up for student finance for the first time and it's saying I've requested a maintenance loan and a tuition loan. I thought you could get maintenance grants as well?

Quick Reply

Latest