The Student Room Group

Primary Education Interview

Hi
I have an interview coming up for a primary education course, as part of the interview i have to prepare a two minute presenentation on the following;

What makes you think you will be able to deal with the challenges faced by a primary teacher?

Is this basically just stating the kinds of things i have already put in my person statement like my strengths/what i am good at?
I would rather have done it on an educational issue rather than stand up in front of people and attempt to describe how good I am :frown:
Reply 1
I would say the question is designed to see if people have a realistic view of teaching, to avoid giving offers to people who will just drop out when they realise what they've let themselves in for. The key skill they'll want to here about is organisation. One of the challenges of teaching is being able to cope with everything to have to do at once, so organisation, organisation, organisation! Also, I personally would make sure I acknowledge that it is a very challenging job, but then say that is one of the reasons that I am attracted to the career - because I want a challenge. Another challenge of teaching would be irritating parents, or people who judge you and think the job is easy because it has long holidays. How would you deal with these issues? I don't think the topic is quite the same as describing your strengths. If you have a look through all the threads in the past page or two of this forum I think the threads where people have debated whether teaching is a sensible career or not will provide you with inspiration :smile:
nathan2oo8
Hi
I have an interview coming up for a primary education course, as part of the interview i have to prepare a two minute presenentation on the following;

What makes you think you will be able to deal with the challenges faced by a primary teacher?

Is this basically just stating the kinds of things i have already put in my person statement like my strengths/what i am good at?
I would rather have done it on an educational issue rather than stand up in front of people and attempt to describe how good I am :frown:

Hmmm first think of all the challenges you can think of. Find out what makes people quit the profession and drop out during PGCEs. Then address those issues.

My advice would be to try and avoid presenting your personal statement as they will have already read that.

I'm on a PGCE and the challenges I can think of are:

1) long long long days - much longer than what most people think (9-3).
2) very little social life during the course. Lecturers always mention this to try and put people off who aren't committed to children and teaching.
3) Ofsted and all the government paperwork!!! (attainment targets etc)
4) day-to-day challenges like behaviour problems and parents.

I'm sure there are loads more, feel free to add to it!
Reply 3
Hmmm first think of all the challenges you can think of. Find out what makes people quit the profession and drop out during PGCEs. Then address those issues.

My advice would be to try and avoid presenting your personal statement as they will have already read that.

I'm on a PGCE and the challenges I can think of are:

1) long long long days - much longer than what most people think (9-3).
2) very little social life during the course. Lecturers always mention this to try and put people off who aren't committed to children and teaching.
3) Ofsted and all the government paperwork!!! (attainment targets etc)
4) day-to-day challenges like behaviour problems and parents.

I'm sure there are loads more, feel free to add to it!

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.
Original post by nathan2oo8
Hi

i need help with education issues, what kind of things do you know?
Reply 5
hi, I have applied to study primary teaching with QTS at Edge Hill, Chester, Manchester Met and Liverpool Hope. So far I have interviews for all of them apart from Chester. I have to prepare tasks and undergo tests and so i was wondering if anyone had any experience of these that they are willing to share?
Also, for one of the tasks I have to draft my own philosophy of teaching and I was wondering if anyone could help me?
I also have to do a presentation in which I have to take a childrens book and explain how I would use it in the classroom and how and what the children will learn from it. What book would be the best and how do I use it?
Thank you!:smile:
Reply 6
This is so much better than last year's system of applying to one at a time, each taking ages to decide whether to interview and making sure the other providers didn't have many places left when they finally made up their minds.

Try googling dialogic teaching or what makes a good teacher. The course really is a killer. And teaching requires so much planning, marking and assessing you will be starting work before 8 and finishing anywhere between 6 and 10.

The book has to be about you. Pick a book you love for some reason - children need to be encouraged to read widely. What do you want to use the book for? You could use a non-fiction book for information, poetry to inspire or fiction to show imaginative descriptions. It's such a wide open topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending