The Student Room Group

A Reading List for English Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
If it's any consolation, I was okay on the eve of the ELAT but was vomiting by the morning. :p:

This list is fantastic though, I could have really done with it a year or two ago and it's brilliant future applicants will have access to it.

Oh noes, I've only read 14 books off that 'bare minimum' list. No wonder my UCAS application was so unsuccessful this year. :p:

Regarding 19th cent. in PSs: don't most people mention Gothicism? I was going to write about Hardy and Eliot and I don't recall seeing much of them in the PS library. I've just ordered some Henrik Ibsen drama which I'll mention if I like it because I don't want to talk about Wilde... and because I won't really like Wilde. :ninja:
Yeah, I mentioned Gothicism but I get the impression that tons and tons of people do.
I find that odd, I did Gothicism a bit at college last year and haaaated it :s-smilie: wouldn't have thought it would be a hugely popular thing is PSs.
Reply 83
I mentioned it when I didn't even like it that much which was just bloody stupid. In my case it was because I'd sampled some at school, the books were short and I was worried I'd only read modern fiction, and I was bloody stupid.
I love it :teeth: the fact that I really really like it has probably spiralled from my obsession with Wuthering Heights but yeah, I love Gothicism. I would have liked to have done my English synoptic or coursework or something on it for A2 but I couldn't.
Reply 85
Hated Gothicism, although Lovecraft gave me lulz. Excellent list by the way.
It is a great list; randomly had a look at Wreck of the Deutschland today and that's really good. Hopkins is very idiosyncratic though, and not just with his metrics; his way of writing sentences - sometimes he messes his words up so much it's like French syntax!

What about cultural commentaries? Arnold's Culture and Anarchy, and JS Mill's On Liberty are quite important, particularly the latter.
Reply 87
I haven't read many of those :emo:
Reply 88
alecangeltess
What about cultural commentaries? Arnold's Culture and Anarchy, and JS Mill's On Liberty are quite important, particularly the latter.

The writings of any major thinker from the past 200 years are 'quite important', but not important enough to warrant inclusion on my very select list.
Reply 89
I randomly found this on the website of Rutgers University. As an American list the relevance may be limited, but thought I'd post for general interest. Bear in mind it's for their Master's degrees so is by no means necessary for English applicants. May be helpful though.

Spoiler

Reply 90
Can you spoiler that? It's huge. It's a good list, but huge.
Reply 91
MSB
Can you spoiler that? It's huge. It's a good list, but huge.

Yeah sure.
I mentioned Enid Blyton in my personal statement and it was discussed in my interview so that's something to think about :yep:

As for the predictable/unpredictable in your PS, why not just do a mixture of both? I'm sure they're more bothered about the thinking you've done about what you've read than the names of them anyway. I was told I wouldn't be asked about the essay I submitted (The Rime of The Ancient Mariner) but they asked me in depth about that. I suppose if they ask you about something they are familiar with and which you claim to know about they can find out if you're bluffing or not.

I think overall this is a great list though :yep: I would suggest some poetry such as that by the Bronte sisters, Charlotte Mew and Emily Dickinson (just my opinion). Then, if you're feeling daring, Chaucer. Shakespeare and Donne seem good to me too. My list says you can never read too much poetry in preparation.
Reply 93
Brouhaha
I randomly found this on the website of Rutgers University. As an American list the relevance may be limited, but thought I'd post for general interest. Bear in mind it's for their Master's degrees so is by no means necessary for English applicants. May be helpful though.

Spoiler

Ode on Melancholy :coma: :blush: I :suith: that poem.
Reply 94
What's the reading list like for English and Creative Writing at Man Met? I might be applying to this university when I finally send of my application, so I just wanted to know if it's any good
Reply 95
A big thank you to everyone - this is a great thread! :smile:
I really haven't read that much from the lists, but I'm Dutch, so I forgive myself. :p:
Reply 96
mckenna
What's the reading list like for English and Creative Writing at Man Met? I might be applying to this university when I finally send of my application, so I just wanted to know if it's any good

Just go here and search for any of the modules listed on this page which interest you.:smile:
Reply 97
hobnob
Just go here and search for any of the modules listed on this page which interest you.:smile:

Cheers :wink:
are there any books to possible read about gender politics?
Reply 99
gunners r us
are there any books to possible read about gender politics?

I'm afraid I don't know much about that particular topic.

Quick Reply

Latest