The Student Room Group

Should I learn to drive (now) ?

I'm in year 13, and every other person seems to have their own car, and be able to drive!

Basically, if i do pass, there won't be any point to buying a car until after uni... so should i just wait to learn then? Or should I do it now, but not drive till 3 years later.. Surely my driving skills will have deteriorated!
In a discussion today, a teacher mentioned that if i passed now, then in a few years (despite the fact i won't have a car) my insurance will be cheaper... and that it will be harder to learn to drive?

SO should I learn during the summer before uni, (is this achievable?) or wait till after? (By after i mean like in the last year of uni or something)

Cheers :smile:

Edit: I should say, i will have no car to use (not even parents) unless I buy my own
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Yeahh go for it.
You really want to struggle with paying for driving lessons as soon as you graduate, thousands of pounds in debt? I'd learn now, buy a car later. That's what me and all my friends are doing. The skill's always useful. :smile:
Reply 3
Even if you don't get a car, it'll be useful to havea licence. I'm learning now (also in Year 13) even though I probably won't get a car for a while, but I might borrow my dad's once I have my licence if I need to so that he doesn't need to be running me around all the time.

My boyfriend's brother is 22, he's been out of uni for a few months now and recently come back home. He said that he had lessons when he turned 17 but stopped and now he really regrets not being able to drive because his mum drives him to work.
Do it!

Its fun. And something to be proud of when you finally do pass :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by christielovesyou
You really want to struggle with paying for driving lessons as soon as you graduate, thousands of pounds in debt? I'd learn now, buy a car later. That's what me and all my friends are doing. The skill's always useful. :smile:

Good point, but will I forget how to drive? :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by Doke
Even if you don't get a car, it'll be useful to havea licence. I'm learning now (also in Year 13) even though I probably won't get a car for a while, but I might borrow my dad's once I have my licence if I need to so that he doesn't need to be running me around all the time.

My boyfriend's brother is 22, he's been out of uni for a few months now and recently come back home. He said that he had lessons when he turned 17 but stopped and now he really regrets not being able to drive because his mum drives him to work.

OH i forgot to add, I won't be able to practise on my parents car, or anything like that. :/
DO you think it'd be possible to start after exams? and finish before uni?
Reply 7
Original post by supernova92
OH i forgot to add, I won't be able to practise on my parents car, or anything like that. :/
DO you think it'd be possible to start after exams? and finish before uni?

You'll get plenty of practice in your instructor car. You don't need to use your parents car, I was just saying that from my experience it has been helpful. I just think that it would be useful to have the licence.

I think it'll depend on how quickly you to take to driving. If you're panicky and don't have good control over the car, then you might take longer to do it, but it's certainly possible to pass in that time, but whether you not you do is completely down to you.

Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Doke
You'll get plenty of practice in your instructor car. You don't need to use your parents car, I was just saying that from my experience it has been helpful. I just think that it would be useful to have the licence.

I think it'll depend on how quickly you to take to driving. If you're panicky and don't have good control over the car, then you might take longer to do it, but it's certainly possible to pass in that time, but whether you not you do is completely down to you.

Good luck!

Ah okay, I get what you mean. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 9
I started learning at school, then when to uni and passed in the summer of my second year, but I don't have a car and I'm not insured on my parents. I'd just do it to get it out of the way!
(edited 13 years ago)
Do it. Do it now.
Reply 11
Original post by ac132
I started learning at school, then when to uni and passed in the summer of my second year, but I don't have a car and I'm not insured on my parents. I'd just do it to get it out of the way!

If you don't mind me asking, how come you only passed in the second year? Did you just have really spread out lessons? :smile:
Reply 12
If you don't mind me asking, how come you only passed in the second year? Did you just have really spread out lessons? :smile:

I got lessons throughout the summer of a levels, then passed my theory. Did no lessons throughout my first year, failed the driving test somewhere near the end of first year, second year - no lessons, summer - three lessons then passed.
Reply 13
Original post by fosters88
learn and pass test as soon as possbile.
even if you are not driving after passing test the longer you hold a full clean licence the better it looks on your drivers profile, who is to say you arent driving as a Named Driver etc!

Just as if you have your own Insurance policy as Main Driver you can gain NCB for not actually driving the car! ..... but insuring a car that is not going to be used/used much does not work out financially well for someone of your age ie. if you going to pay 2k insurance you want your moneys worth... so best not do that!

edit:
For people who have built up their drivers profile and have NCB and wish to take a rest period from driving, Insurers tend to void their NCB, I believe after 2 years gap. So to keep your NCB "warm" so to speak, drivers simply puchase a banger and insurer it and drive it around now and then as financially in the long run paying £200-400 for a car that you hardly use is better in the long run than loosing your NCB and paying a high premium when your ready to start driving again.

When it comes to finances, "Think long term" always look after your cash.

Thanks for all the advice! It's a bit complicated , but I think I understand. I'll look into all that stuff when i start learning :smile:
id do it now when you have the time, it also means youll be able to rent a car sooner (while at uni).

im in the same situation, and thats what im doing
I'm in year 13, and every other person seems to have their own car, and be able to drive!

Basically, if i do pass, there won't be any point to buying a car until after uni... so should i just wait to learn then? Or should I do it now, but not drive till 3 years later.. Surely my driving skills will have deteriorated!
In a discussion today, a teacher mentioned that if i passed now, then in a few years (despite the fact i won't have a car) my insurance will be cheaper... and that it will be harder to learn to drive?

SO should I learn during the summer before uni, (is this achievable?) or wait till after? (By after i mean like in the last year of uni or something)

Cheers :smile:

Edit: I should say, i will have no car to use (not even parents) unless I buy my own

Same situation as yourself.

Wouldn't be able to afford a car at university (obv), but I'm passing to get it out of the way and so I don't have a green license...
Reply 16
Original post by Boristhethird
id do it now when you have the time, it also means youll be able to rent a car sooner (while at uni).

im in the same situation, and thats what im doing

Original post by ilickbatteries
Same situation as yourself.

Wouldn't be able to afford a car at university (obv), but I'm passing to get it out of the way and so I don't have a green license...

Yeah, ah this is so exciting, i've decided I'm going to learn when exams are outta the way!! :smile:
And also, of course! I completely forgot about car hire...

Quick Reply