The Student Room Group

Dundee Medicine Applicants 2012

Poll

What was your average UKCAT score?

Just thought I'd make one of these since there doesn't seem to be one.

Did any of you go to the Medicine open day back in June?
What do you think of Dundee?

Good luck to you all! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I am going to the open day at the end of this month. I'll definitely be applying! Heard so many great things about it over the last wee while and I really like the look of the course structure.
Reply 2
Hey guys, I'm a third year from Dundee and would just like to throw in my 2 cents here - good job on signing up for/going to the open days. They give you a really good chance to see what life in Dundee might be like. What did you think of the medical school? Also, ChangedMyMind, I might see you there! Most student's will still be on holiday on the 31st, but I might be there for a while. Hope you enjoy it!

Also, a wee bit of shameless plugging by me here - hope I'm not sabotaging the thread too much here, but if you're applying to Dundee Med School, then hopefully this website will be of use to you:
Life of a Dundee Medical Student
It's a blog written by yours truly for all things Dundee or Medicine related, which might come in useful on the run up to interviews etc. There's also some stuff about personal statements and hot-topics in medicine (which might be a useful thing to chat about at interviews).

What was it that makes you guys want to go to Dundee? Is it because of it's low annual rainfall? :awesome:
Original post by nwoodley
Hey guys, I'm a third year from Dundee and would just like to throw in my 2 cents here - good job on signing up for/going to the open days. They give you a really good chance to see what life in Dundee might be like. What did you think of the medical school? Also, ChangedMyMind, I might see you there! Most student's will still be on holiday on the 31st, but I might be there for a while. Hope you enjoy it!

Also, a wee bit of shameless plugging by me here - hope I'm not sabotaging the thread too much here, but if you're applying to Dundee Med School, then hopefully this website will be of use to you:
It's a blog written by yours truly for all things Dundee or Medicine related, which might come in useful on the run up to interviews etc. There's also some stuff about personal statements and hot-topics in medicine (which might be a useful thing to chat about at interviews).

What was it that makes you guys want to go to Dundee? Is it because of it's low annual rainfall? :awesome:

I have read your blog already and found it really interesting. Please keep it up! I am from Glasgow so I am already used to the low average rainfall :wink: But seriously, it's getting a great reputation just now from everyone I talk to and I love the city of Dundee!
Reply 4
Original post by ChangedMyMind
I have read your blog already and found it really interesting. Please keep it up! I am from Glasgow so I am already used to the low average rainfall :wink: But seriously, it's getting a great reputation just now from everyone I talk to and I love the city of Dundee!

I couldn't agree more!

Also, for anyone who believes in league tables, Dundee does pretty good in them...

Check out the University Guide 2012 if you're interested. Why entry requirements are used to grade a university course, I don't know. But hey, Dundee does pretty good despite this.
I couldn't agree more!

Also, for anyone who believes in league tables, Dundee does pretty good in them...

Check out the University Guide 2012 if you're interested. Why entry requirements are used to grade a university course, I don't know. But hey, Dundee does pretty good despite this.

Can I ask what made you choose Dundee? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Can I ask what made you choose Dundee? :smile:

I'm glad you asked!

There's a bunch of reasons, but I'll try and limit myself to my top 2... ok, 3 reasons.

1) The Course structure
When I was thinking about applying to medicine, I was pretty unsure of what my learning style was to be honest. I didn't know if I'd fall asleep in lectures or whether I just wouldn't bother to read up about things if I did a PBL course. The solution? Choose a course with a good mix of things. After looking at all the courses around, I honestly thought Dundee had the best mix of teaching methods that would ensure that I learn things properly!

2) Dissection
I could rant about this until the cows come home, but I think that if you don't do dissection (which most medical schools don't) then you just plain won't know anatomy well enough. You could argue that you'll learn about the anatomy when you become a surgeon, but I would much rather have a nosey look around a body that doesn't have a beating heart than one that does. Doing anatomy means you can have a look at how all the organs, nerves, blood vessels, muscles, bones all inter-related, you can pull a muscle and see what body part it moves etc. etc. - all of which you can't do nearly as well on prosected specimens. Also, I should say, at Dundee they're developing a new way of embalming the bodies to make them much more lifelike, breathing new life (a terrible pun, I'm sorry, I should never have used it) into the anatomy room. They developed it so that surgeons could have a more life-like patient to practice new surgeries on, but it also means students can use it. Lucky you!

3) The people
Everyone at Dundee is generally down to earth and really nice. From the lecturers to the students. The lecturers are always really keen to teach too, and if you have any questions, they'll do their best to answer. If you have any criticisms of the course, they'll listen. They might not be able to fix it in time for you to benefit, but the year groups which come after you will definitely thank you for it! I suppose this wasn't really a reason why I chose Dundee, but in hindsight, its a really good thing.

Happy applications!

Your blog was a really good read! :smile:

I really liked the feel of Dundee when I went to the open day back in June...not only the city, but the medical school in general.

Plus, I felt that the course structure was well thought out, with a good mix of lectures, PBL etc...like you I am not sure if a course mainly full of lectures would make me want to fall asleep :p:

I wrote a list of all the pros and cons that I found from being at Glasgow and Dundee's open days and tbh I really couldn't think of any cons about Dundee :biggrin:
Reply 8
Most likely applying, had a look at the website for the first time, it seems to be holding it's cards firmly to it's chest concerning how it measures up applicants (i.e. if UKCAT is 20% weighting etc) and how interviews are structured (I heard from a gentleman I met at another medicine interview its 10 stations of fun exciting challenges...or similiar!?).

Great posts already guys though, I appreciate it a lot, will read your blog nwoodley asap!
I'm glad you asked!

There's a bunch of reasons, but I'll try and limit myself to my top 2... ok, 3 reasons.

1) The Course structure
When I was thinking about applying to medicine, I was pretty unsure of what my learning style was to be honest. I didn't know if I'd fall asleep in lectures or whether I just wouldn't bother to read up about things if I did a PBL course. The solution? Choose a course with a good mix of things. After looking at all the courses around, I honestly thought Dundee had the best mix of teaching methods that would ensure that I learn things properly!

2) Dissection
I could rant about this until the cows come home, but I think that if you don't do dissection (which most medical schools don't) then you just plain won't know anatomy well enough. You could argue that you'll learn about the anatomy when you become a surgeon, but I would much rather have a nosey look around a body that doesn't have a beating heart than one that does. Doing anatomy means you can have a look at how all the organs, nerves, blood vessels, muscles, bones all inter-related, you can pull a muscle and see what body part it moves etc. etc. - all of which you can't do nearly as well on prosected specimens. Also, I should say, at Dundee they're developing a new way of embalming the bodies to make them much more lifelike, breathing new life (a terrible pun, I'm sorry, I should never have used it) into the anatomy room. They developed it so that surgeons could have a more life-like patient to practice new surgeries on, but it also means students can use it. Lucky you!

3) The people
Everyone at Dundee is generally down to earth and really nice. From the lecturers to the students. The lecturers are always really keen to teach too, and if you have any questions, they'll do their best to answer. If you have any criticisms of the course, they'll listen. They might not be able to fix it in time for you to benefit, but the year groups which come after you will definitely thank you for it! I suppose this wasn't really a reason why I chose Dundee, but in hindsight, its a really good thing.

Happy applications!

Thanks alot for your answers and for your blog. Very much appreciated!
Original post by baztech
Most likely applying, had a look at the website for the first time, it seems to be holding it's cards firmly to it's chest concerning how it measures up applicants (i.e. if UKCAT is 20% weighting etc) and how interviews are structured (I heard from a gentleman I met at another medicine interview its 10 stations of fun exciting challenges...or similiar!?).

Great posts already guys though, I appreciate it a lot, will read your blog nwoodley asap!

Yeah Dundee do Multiple Mini Interviews. There are a few links on Google about its structure!
Reply 11
WOO DUNDEE.

I'm applying.
Reply 12
This thread is pretty dead...

Dundee is definitely my first choice. I got an interview there last year but they rejected me :frown:

BUT, I still loved it and hopefully this year they'll take let me in... please
Original post by Braddd
This thread is pretty dead...

Dundee is definitely my first choice. I got an interview there last year but they rejected me :frown:

BUT, I still loved it and hopefully this year they'll take let me in... please

Tell me about it! :rolleyes:

What did you think of the interview technique - MMI's??
Reply 14
Original post by ScottishShortiex
Tell me about it! :rolleyes:

What did you think of the interview technique - MMI's??

I just typed a big reply about the MMIs and then I accidentally closed the tab... *sigh*

In short:

-I quite liked the fact you get a new chance to prove yourself at each station so you shouldn't worry if you mess up at one.
-It goes by SOOOO fast. It really doesn't feel like 70 minutes.
-Some of the stations will kinda catch you off-guard. ESPECIALLY when you have to work with the actor.
-KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THE NHS... It's hard to talk for 7 minutes about how fair the system is when you don't really know anything about the system... yeah...
-I don't remember what else I wrote...

Anyway, the thing that bugged me though was that it was VERY difficult to judge how you did in each station. Like the thing that I thought went terrible scored 'above average' and the thing that I thought went best scored 'just below average'...
Original post by Braddd
I just typed a big reply about the MMIs and then I accidentally closed the tab... *sigh*

In short:

-I quite liked the fact you get a new chance to prove yourself at each station so you shouldn't worry if you mess up at one.
-It goes by SOOOO fast. It really doesn't feel like 70 minutes.
-Some of the stations will kinda catch you off-guard. ESPECIALLY when you have to work with the actor.
-KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THE NHS... It's hard to talk for 7 minutes about how fair the system is when you don't really know anything about the system... yeah...
-I don't remember what else I wrote...

Anyway, the thing that bugged me though was that it was VERY difficult to judge how you did in each station. Like the thing that I thought went terrible scored 'above average' and the thing that I thought went best scored 'just below average'...

Thanks for the tips :smile: We just now need to hope we both get an interview! :crossedf:
Reply 16
Original post by ScottishShortiex
Thanks for the tips :smile: We just now need to hope we both get an interview! :crossedf:

Yeah hopefully :smile:
Hey guys, if anyone wants in depth info please just pm me, i am now a first year medic in dundee (WOOOOO!!! so excited!) so i went through the whole ucas palaver and interview process just last year! I'll tell you all you want to know, but I'm not gonna write a big thing on here as i don't have the time due to me leaving next saturday!!!! Please just pm me, I'd be happy to help:smile: ps i also applied to st georges, aberdeen and keele and got offers for aberdeen and keele as well as dundee so if you want any inside information, i'm your girl :wink:
best of luck with uni applications!
Reply 18
Did anyone go to the open day today?
Reply 19
Bumpity bump, making sure people don't forget about Dundee!

Quick Reply

Latest