The Student Room Group

Cambridge Geography Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

im preparing for an interview at st cats for geography and im scared i was just wondering for anyone whos been through it if they have any advice or when you can find the general question ideas?

thank you :smile:
Reply 21
How many penguins live in the North Pole?
Reply 22
EmmaGeography
Who has an interview for Geography at Cambridge?? I don't really know how much to prepare!:woo:

mee! at Christs, in 2days AHHH
I don't really know how to prepare either, Im just re-reading the books on my PS and doing a bit of extra research around them.
Reply 23
legend_90
I don't really know how to prepare either, Im just re-reading the books on my PS and doing a bit of extra research around them.

OMG in 2 days!!! Good luck! Let us know how it went, will you =)
I have an interview on 9th December at St John's, I'm so excited and scared at the same time. Just trying to prepare as much as possible right now..
Reply 24
legend_90

I have an interview in one week! eek!
what kind of questions did they ask you? i hope your interview went well!
Reply 25
erika0124
I have an interview in one week! eek!
what kind of questions did they ask you? i hope your interview went well!

It wasn't that bad really...I expected them to be really intimidating and ask really demanding horrible questions, but they both seemed quite normal (I had two interviews).
the general interview was more focussed on my PS but the subject interview looked at it a bit too... I can't really remember what he asked me now, it went so quickly!
which college have you applied to?
Reply 26
legend_90
It wasn't that bad really...I expected them to be really intimidating and ask really demanding horrible questions, but they both seemed quite normal (I had two interviews).
the general interview was more focussed on my PS but the subject interview looked at it a bit too... I can't really remember what he asked me now, it went so quickly!
which college have you applied to?

i applied to Christ's, and I have two interviews, too. I'm assuming that these interviews, you either got it or you don't, so I'm trying not to stress over it. But I'm coming all the way from Tokyo, so I'm hoping its worth the trip!
Reply 27
I've got an interveiw on the 6th December at Queens'...my PS says about holidays to Africa and how I like human interactions with the environment as a topic, and I've been looking up my interveiwer...who has written 4 or 5 books about human interactions with the environment in Africa. Oh my.

How many others geoggersing Cambridge this year, particularly at Queens'?
Reply 28
Original post by Samk44
I've got an interveiw on the 6th December at Queens'...my PS says about holidays to Africa and how I like human interactions with the environment as a topic, and I've been looking up my interveiwer...who has written 4 or 5 books about human interactions with the environment in Africa. Oh my.

How many others geoggersing Cambridge this year, particularly at Queens'?

i've got an interview on the 8th at Trinity Hall. One of my interviewers is a philosopher and PPSer...literally crapping myself. I'm awful at interviews as well :/

good luck anyway! how are you preparing?
Reply 29
My GCSEs are 5A*s , 4As and 1B
(and BTEC ICT but I doubt Cambridge are going to be impressed by that..)

Just recieved my AS results
As in Eng Lit, Geography and French
B in Theatre Studies

Just wondering if its worth me applying? I've never been obsessed by Oxbridge but would quite like to give it a go. Thanks
What can I do for Geography? To make a really good PS? For Cambridge
Reply 31
Original post by jessica-07
My GCSEs are 5A*s , 4As and 1B
(and BTEC ICT but I doubt Cambridge are going to be impressed by that..)

Just recieved my AS results
As in Eng Lit, Geography and French
B in Theatre Studies

Just wondering if its worth me applying? I've never been obsessed by Oxbridge but would quite like to give it a go. Thanks

Hey mine were very similar (6 A*s, 1 A and 2 Bs) - with the B's in English + English Lit.... and I'm starting in October!

Were the As at AS high in terms of UMS? That would help you out. Don't worry about the Drama - but I wouldn't suggest carrying it on...
Reply 32
Original post by UCAS.LOVER
Hey mine were very similar (6 A*s, 1 A and 2 Bs) - with the B's in English + English Lit.... and I'm starting in October!

Were the As at AS high in terms of UMS? That would help you out. Don't worry about the Drama - but I wouldn't suggest carrying it on...

No i definitley won't be carrying on the Drama,
UMS
Eng Lit: 80%
Geography: 96%
French: 90%

I am also really struggling with my PS, it's so hard to make it stand out! Have you got any tips from doing yours? cheers
Reply 33
Original post by jessica-07
No i definitley won't be carrying on the Drama,
UMS
Eng Lit: 80%
Geography: 96%
French: 90%

I am also really struggling with my PS, it's so hard to make it stand out! Have you got any tips from doing yours? cheers

I joined the RGS, started reading a few articles from their magazine (Geographical), erm I went and spoke to a local cartographer and things. It doesn't matter too much - just make sure you link everything back to Geography - they don't care if you're musical, etc.

I bought this little book which I found useful http://www.amazon.co.uk/Personal-Statements-Write-UCAS-Statement/dp/0951928414
Reply 34
Hey...

Just started having a re-think of what to apply for in 2012 and am considering choosing Geography over Natural Sciences. I am currently doing Scottish Highers (English, Maths, Geography, Chemistry and Physics) and will be doing (hopefully) 3 advanced highers next year (maths, chemistry and physics). One of my main queries is having to submit written work when applying for Geography. Could anyone give me any advice on what kind of things they are looking for; geography projects, discursive essays etc...
At my school we don't tend to do essays so I just sent off a geography practice exam question that I had done for homework. It depends on what college as for example, St John's doesn't ask for work, Emmanuel asks for two pieces and Kings only asks for one.
Reply 36
Thanks... I‘ll probably discuss with my geography teacher and year head what would be most suitable to send off.
Any Cambridge Geography Offer Holders for 2012 entry? Which college?
I got pooled by Jesus, now got an offer from Corpus Christi!
Reply 38
Original post by mespannerhanz
Any Cambridge Geography Offer Holders for 2012 entry? Which college?
I got pooled by Jesus, now got an offer from Corpus Christi!

Well done, I got an offer from St Johns! :smile:
Reply 39
I'm applying this year! Anyone else ?

Quick Reply

Latest